What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (106 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not 100% certain but I think your main hoop is facing the wrong direction, pretty sure the pads should be facing the rear passengers.🤷‍♀️
Crud. Yep, consulted the Microfiche and you are absolutely right, I should have done that in the first place. Thank you for pointing it out though, much appreciated! I have these holes in the front hoop that used to have a gun rack mounted in them and I used those to remember which way to face it. So I trusted the PO on that one :doh: I rationalized that the pads faced forward because you would fold down the front seats and get into the back and not hit your head on metal. Well.... I guess I know what I will be doing to my Land Cruiser this weekend :frown: After the Lovelady LoveFest parade of course.

Did you make or follow a write-up on this. Would love to overhaul/update mine.
Thanks for the follow up. Finished the install yesterday.
  • Ended up punching out the factory pins. One side of the pin holes is smaller - I threaded each of the smaller holes for M8 bolts.
  • Powder coated the assembly with Prismatic powders Vegas Gold
  • Modified a nylon spacer to replace the metal spacers that had worn down over the years on the hook portion of the assembly (lower bolt)
  • Used a stainless M8 x 60mm socket head bolt on the upper hole, secured with a stop nut and added an acorn nut. This allowed a gap between the two nuts so I could include a spring from the handle to the carrier (like OEM).
  • Used an M8 stainless screw on the hook hole to allow for handle movement
  • Used two M8 x 50mm bolts and stop nuts to attach to the carrier
  • After all this I showed it to my wife for her amazement. I was the only one who was impressed, though :)

tire-lock-77-fj40.jpg

Thanks for the follow up. Finished the install yesterday.
  • Ended up punching out the factory pins. One side of the pin holes is smaller - I threaded each of the smaller holes for M8 bolts.
  • Powder coated the assembly with Prismatic powders Vegas Gold
  • Modified a nylon spacer to replace the metal spacers that had worn down over the years on the hook portion of the assembly (lower bolt)
  • Used a stainless M8 x 60mm socket head bolt on the upper hole, secured with a stop nut and added an acorn nut. This allowed a gap between the two nuts so I could include a spring from the handle to the carrier (like OEM).
  • Used an M8 stainless screw on the hook hole to allow for handle movement
  • Used two M8 x 50mm bolts and stop nuts to attach to the carrier
  • After all this I showed it to my wife for her amazement. I was the only one who was impressed, though :)

View attachment 2920830

I'm impressed man... so now there are two of us.

Short of just scrapping the whole present manual steering setup (definitely non Toyota!) I’ve chased down various parts to make said setup a little safer maybe…… plus, it actually handles fairly well! Other things on my present to do list so power steering is on a cold back burner for a while longer!

F4A81238-0A59-42AD-B377-30C08026B65D.jpeg

Top is a ‘slightly’ bent relay rod… below is a new and slightly longer (and straight) rod courtesy of @cruiseroutfit with the 17mm LHT and 11/16 RHT ends…
Found a TRE with appropriate threads to fit into new pitman arm (which was NEEDED imho)

CB8EEEE6-FB39-40B0-A960-4EF51F682269.jpeg

I imagine a PO in the past knocking back a few and looking to make his new steering creation with an ancient Saginaw 525 box work ……. “Here Vern, hold my beer, I’m gonna weld sumthin!”
E5612EFB-F8D5-44EF-B466-525802F4CFB8.jpeg

Finally found a universal arm with correct splines and shaft diameter……. At least it looks better? Safer?

:steer:

Installed new wheels and tires, replacing the old chrome plated aftermarkets that were on there. Went with the skinny look

IMG_0116.jpeg

Finished buffing the whole thing to get rid of the chalky oxidation. Used CLR in the rear sill where a little rust was poking through and where the tire carrier hinges bolted to the tub. Looks way better now but I should’ve taken better before pics.
6F222F64-8FB6-4CF7-80A5-4BAD1D65293B.jpeg
32E6E649-424A-4795-A990-1AF98652DA07.jpeg
97D2F515-71D8-4742-832E-B4D1BA2CBD2D.jpeg

Somebody's playing jokes!
20220212_171112.jpg

Swapped my fold and tumble in place of the smittybuilt box. Found a small nymph in the back, something that I never fish with! Could have been @desmocruiser last summer!

20220212_175347.jpg
20220212_175359.jpg

YJ seat?

I’ve got a TJ seat for mine. Same basic design, but no cutouts in the back rest for wheel wells. More details on the install? Could it be mounted further forward?
It's the Bestop Tarilmax II fold and tumble seat. Super basic installation for it, the 2 front brackets and the rear latch bracket, I added steel plates underneath the body for each bracket for some added strength.

I'm sure it could be moved forward a few inches, maybe even up to 6 inches, I pushed it as far back as I could because my daughters are both tall.

We are heading over to the St. Joe's in June for a few days in the 40 so I'm working out some storage options ahead of time. The roof rack went back on last night also.

Between the beer cooler and 3 Jerry cans I'm going to have a packed rig.

Unless I borrow a raft, then I'll have a trailer option!

After 2.5 years took my rig out for a little drive. This is the first time since the major rebuilt. Tried to calibrate the dakota digital speedometer but 0 ppms, so i need to check wiring. Also ran out of gas twice as I took it to get gas and calibrate the fuel system. Not luck there either. My ohms jumped all around. Does anyone have an opinion on oem versus non for fuel senders? Im leaning toward city racers oem one.
I also bled my saginaw and hydroboost brakes going lock to lock 5x and then 3 pumps of the brakes as one cycle...40 times. I finally have power steering.
Lastly, timing via the sniper was all over the place. Watch and modified my timing table based on the holley video, but following it exactly, Im seeing as high as 23 degrees in idle bands and 45 in strong power bands so Im a little worried.

But it was awesome even for a short drive.

This Saturday I drove about 40 miles over to Lovelady, TX and participated in their Lovefest kickoff parade. It was cold and rainy, so I got a refresher on where all the leaks are (I didn't intend to drive it in the rain it just worked out that way). Then Sunday I pulled the rollbar back out and turned the front hoop around to the correct orientation, thank you @Neilo. It was a 1 beer job since I had already chased all the threads and assembled everything with anti-seize. Here's a picture of the rollbar now in it's forever home:

RollBarRight.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom