What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just bought a new "retro" radio for the "Sloth". Will install when I get the monster back and get my new tires.

It is 18W (They had a 25W for 2x the price). A rebuilt on E-bay was almost $900! The one I got has AM and FM. I installed previously 4 boat speakers front and rear on the roll bar.

Last edited:
At least you don't have the traffic congestion we have here in my neck of the woods.

View attachment 2667595

That parking lot ahead gets busy and people drive like A$$ holes through there. I know you don’t drive that way though the 40 is more of an impediment on the road in that area.

Block is painted. Now on to the upgraded intake and Sniper EFI install. Slippery slope for sure when you take a perfectly running truck and start changing it up.

933CB103-E0AE-4502-87FE-C1A684C72F4C.jpeg

40127B32-C9AE-42CE-917A-2A6A19BD722B.jpeg

FD125925-2A02-463A-AE96-E79ABA47B139.jpeg

Is the current state of your 76? What is that funny rust color stuff in the lower back corners? That can't be a NM cruiser?
I haven't done anything to the body since I bought it 20 years ago. From what I understand it spent some time in Massachusetts near the ocean before coming to New Mexico. I bought it for $500 in non-running condition, turns out when I got it home it was just corrosion on the coil (+) terminal - cleaned it and it fired right up. The only other work to get it on the road was a new clutch master cylinder. It still only has ~66,000 original miles and runs well. The last road trip was ~800 miles to Chinle, AZ and back as one of the legs of the FJ40 Cross Country Expedition - the briefcase is in the photo. It was a great trip @Reznugget @mesa man.

Three Cruisers.jpg

Baton Hand-Off - 1.jpg

Baton Hand-Off - 2.jpg

BTW, they salt the roads heavily here in the winter, it takes its toll on sheet metal.

Block is painted. Now on to the upgraded intake and Sniper EFI install. Slippery slope for sure when you take a perfectly running truck and start changing it up.
You'll like the sniper, and the install is not hard at all. Just make sure to keep the low power sensor/signal wires away from your plug and coil wires to avoid rf interference.

Last edited:
EF3A7AE0-9EE2-4E18-8E74-085833E772AA.jpeg
1329A7AC-25B1-4D1F-9D43-FACE820127A5.jpeg

Picked up a used Metal Tech Jackson cage a year ago and finally got it to the shop to get it fitted and lengthened. Hopefully picking it up early next week. I was 100% going to just have it painted black but now that I see the white I am torn...

Cool pics! Hoping the briefcase is still in circulation. Anyone know where it is now. Time to get it moving again!
I haven't done anything to the body since I bought it 20 years ago. From what I understand it spent some time in Massachusetts near the ocean before coming to New Mexico. I bought it for $500 in non-running condition, turns out when I got it home it was just corrosion on the coil (+) terminal - cleaned it and it fired right up. The only other work to get it on the road was a new clutch master cylinder. It still only has ~66,000 original miles and runs well. The last road trip was ~800 miles to Chinle, AZ and back as one of the legs of the FJ40 Cross Country Expedition - the briefcase is in the photo. It was a great trip @Reznugget @mesa man.

View attachment 2668103

View attachment 2668105

View attachment 2668106

BTW, they salt the roads heavily here in the winter, it takes its toll on sheet metal.

Is the current state of your 76? What is that funny rust color stuff in the lower back corners? That can't be a NM cruiser?
My NM truck is rotted awesome with no functioning original body mounts on the rear sill. I was told it was a Los Alamos (7,200') 40. Some years, you can't tell where the snow ends, and the salt starts, there. Plus, people go skiing in New Mexico.

There is a guy in town who is the original owner of two FJ55s from the late 70s. He expressed to me how Toyota made a good truck, just not good with the rust. It gives me a smile to think that I'm probably talking to someone who has driven a good 30,000-salted-road miles in the past 42+ years, with nothing really bad on the body, and here I am cleaning up pounds of FJ40 with a dust pan, and we are both probably poised to have trucks that will outlast the majority of 2021 models being bought today.

Last edited:
Plus, people go skiing in New Mexico.
Been there, done that. In our best snow season (probably) ever, we got a record 150 inches of snow in town, with three heavy storms between mid-January and late February (48", 27", and 19"). That season I was able to ski 49 times, once at Taos Ski Valley and 48 times at Pajarito Mountain above town, between early November '86 and early May '87. And all 49 times my '84 FJ60 got me to the slopes, salted roads and all.

I installed my LED headlights from @ToyotaMatt today. I’m looking forward to my next night time driving opportunity.

CDE570DF-2405-47D4-9FB5-7A1B14F80317.jpeg
892162B5-9E2D-425F-851D-546EFC910B67.jpeg
BED09F17-BDB6-499A-AABA-056A1F8A7DDD.jpeg
4946BFF6-0A89-4A33-9AAF-35DA6BCE4055.jpeg
6CECF838-693C-453C-B42E-5ADBD3D8E747.jpeg

New OEM Powder Coated Wheels and BFG MT tires!

IMG_4781.jpg

Painted the bench seat frames and will be doing the SOR kit with new foam and covers tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom