What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everyone I know asks the question, "when will you have it done?" I started to add all my tasks in airtable along with the estimate of how long it'll take. I've added everything I can think of...so far...except rewiring, and I'm at 38 hours. I figure wiring is another 40 hours. I finish a task, I mark it off in my airtable. Btw, I'm also using the airtable to plan out my wiring, what connects to what and which pin goes in which Deutch socket.

Tonight I tackled the transmission connections. I had to wire up the Dakota digital GSS shift selector to the side of my turbo 400 transmission. Since I have a B&M transmission oil pan, I needed to alter the mounting bracket.

Next was the lokar down shift switch. Since it mounts to the same two bolts as the Dakota shift selector, I needed to find a new home. I decided the safest place was inside the frame rail. I used the bracket as a template and drilled two holes in the framerails so I can run bolts up from the bottom into the down shift box.

Drilling through the frame rails is a real drag and the first hole took about 10 mins. So I came up with the poor man's mag drill. Next hole only took about 3 mins.

Ever look at something and wonder “what idiot messed up that repair??”

... only to remember that idiot is you
D644DB3F-C7B8-43AE-9C12-672403A6B3F7.jpeg

Everyone I know asks the question, "when will you have it done?" I started to add all my tasks in airtable along with the estimate of how long it'll take. I've added everything I can think of...so far...except rewiring, and I'm at 38 hours. I figure wiring is another 40 hours. I finish a task, I mark it off in my airtable. Btw, I'm also using the airtable to plan out my wiring, what connects to what and which pin goes in which Deutch socket.

Tonight I tackled the transmission connections. I had to wire up the Dakota digital GSS shift selector to the side of my turbo 400 transmission. Since I have a B&M transmission oil pan, I needed to alter the mounting bracket.

Next was the lokar down shift switch. Since it mounts to the same two bolts as the Dakota shift selector, I needed to find a new home. I decided the safest place was inside the frame rail. I used the bracket as a template and drilled two holes in the framerails so I can run bolts up from the bottom into the down shift box.

Drilling through the frame rails is a real drag and the first hole took about 10 mins. So I came up with the poor man's mag drill. Next hole only took about 3 mins.
Yeah, drillign the frame rails for the ARB Bumper was a chore, Love that drill idea!

When drilling in heavy steel I always drill it in steps starting with a small bit. I have a cheap HF corded 1/2" slow RPM drill. With a sharp bit it goes thru like butter. If I'm getting little bits of steel verses long curl shavings time for a sharper bit. Found faster RPM does not mean quicker drilling in steel. Also using a punch and small bit have far less problems with the bit walking and stays right where I want it.

When drilling in heavy steel I always drill it in steps starting with a small bit. I have a cheap HF corded 1/2" slow RPM drill. With a sharp bit it goes thru like butter. If I'm getting little bits of steel verses long curl shavings time for a sharper bit. Found faster RPM does not mean quicker drilling in steel. Also using a punch and small bit have far less problems with the bit walking and stays right where I want it.
Step Drill bit, though do a better quality one than this. Amazon product ASIN B07JKKFD4C

Installed headrests that I found just up the street in a FJ40 which will allow me to keep the original seats. They were dirty and needed a couple of the insert pieces. Will do a winter project to dye them gray to match the seats.

Also picked up a 76' roll bar and 3 point seatbelts which will be installed at a later date from the same FJ40. The roll bar won't fit with the long jump seats so will have to get creative.

IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg

I think he was burying a body.

Traffic jam on the way to a trailhead.

20210504_164559.jpg

Tech related, I installed a new push button lock for my Tuffy console, I've only had it for 10 years before I decided to do that.

Unfortunately there are no pics of boring stuff like that.

There's a couple of lift rods for the rear hatch struts sitting on my workbench right now too, if I have time that's on the list for tomorrow evening.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed it. Still dealing with overnight temperatures in the thirties in rim country.
Only upside is have a place in Prescott too so rolling North after work today, thank God for mile high weather, 17 degrees cooler than Valley year round👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom