What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replacing the steering stabilizer to make highway driving more enjoyable (everything else in the steering is new and aligned).

Got to start getting ready for the 20th Coal Mine Cruiser Classic.

THIS PIC NEEDS A 40 SERIES IN IT !!!!!!! So come out to the 2020 winter4x4jamboree.com . Held here in SW Utah the jamboree is the largest winter 4x4 event in the US and last year we had 860 4x4's at the event and most were the you know whats . For that reason I'm trying to get more Toyotas here and I'm working on an all MUD/Toyota trail ride and possibly some other extras thrown in. Check out the site and shoot me a PM with any ?'s

View attachment 1994104

I am going to try to have my rig ready for this event.. I think that is a good time frame for me, and I would like to come down in the cooler weather anyway! Thanks for the info.

Snow is finally starting to recede so I went for a quick overnight with the two ladies in my life. Plus some cruiser spotting in small town UT
_DSC0184.JPG
IMG_3917.jpg
IMG_3895.jpg

I am going to try to have my rig ready for this event.. I think that is a good time frame for me, and I would like to come down in the cooler weather anyway! Thanks for the info.
Awesome. I've got a guy from GA and a few here in UT that will be attending, let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Put on the replacement transfer case knob and put the new personalized plate. RUSTY SMURF for those of you who don't get it (you see because it's white and blue like a Smurf and it's rusty.)

Anyone need a replacement knob missing the shift pattern sticker.

IMG_20190604_195537.jpg

IMG_20190604_195252.jpg

IMG_20190604_195236.jpg

IMG_20190604_200234.jpg

Since my cruiser is still down while finishing up steering conversion I removed rust and old repair area and tacked in a piece of metal. I’ll do a complete corner patch in the future but this was an unplanned event lol. Used a little fill to smooth. Good for now and better than before.

E1A90857-1578-46C1-8541-3E9136A6D809.jpeg

C2CEC970-0CAC-413E-9245-2E4008345BAD.jpeg

Went camping/climbing in Diablo Canyon with the Zombie Trailer.

Picked up an old tig welder. Miller 330a/bpla circa 1976. All 800+lbs of it. Like our 40’s these things run forever and are also very thirsty.

6F2A5794-E7BC-4132-A9F9-CE732D96519C.jpeg

Putting it in the garage was fun.
1230E538-97F3-4C1F-B277-F937489FE68E.jpeg

The dolly it sits on conveniently holds my two 330cf bottles. And doubles as a tig torch water cooler. Sweet!

CC9C26B3-D4B9-418C-B734-96660E971E71.jpeg

Side by side with my mig welder. I have a fondness for old industrial equipment.
51BA06EC-FD4E-409C-B2A6-7C6DB0918395.png

Now I just need to clear the garage of the other perpetual project (‘87 Supra Turbo) and finally tackle the rust demons plaguing the Old Gurl.

View attachment 1995568

Went camping/climbing in Diablo Canyon with the Zombie Trailer.

Picked up an old tig welder. Miller 330a/bpla circa 1976. All 800+lbs of it. Like our 40’s these things run forever and are also very thirsty.

View attachment 1995565

Putting it in the garage was fun.
View attachment 1995566

The dolly it sits on conveniently holds my two 330cf bottles. And doubles as a tig torch water cooler. Sweet!

View attachment 1995567

Side by side with my mig welder. I have a fondness for old industrial equipment.
View attachment 1995569

Now I just need to clear the garage of the other perpetual project (‘87 Supra Turbo) and finally tackle the rust demons plaguing the Old Gurl.
I have this same machine! Bought from my 85 year old neighbor, who purchased it brand new in the 70s for his sheet metal shop. It’s a beast of a machine!

I have this same machine! Bought from my 85 year old neighbor, who purchased it brand new in the 70s for his sheet metal shop. It’s a beast of a machine!
Picked mine up from an estate sale. The PO passed and his nephew sold it to me for a song. They’re amazing machines for sure. The arc is sooo smooth. And “kill” mode is outrageous. Nothing like having 400+ amps when working with thick aluminum.

BTW what tungsten are you using on it? I’m still using the red as that’s what I’ve used in the past. I’ve heard good things about the lanthanated stuff.

Picked mine up from an estate sale. The PO passed and his nephew sold it to me for a song. They’re amazing machines for sure. The arc is sooo smooth. And “kill” mode is outrageous. Nothing like having 400+ amps when working with thick aluminum.

BTW what tungsten are you using on it? I’m still using the red as that’s what I’ve used in the past. I’ve heard good things about the lanthanated stuff.
Typically lathanated. My water pump took a crap on the cooler, and the HF stopped working recently. I suspect the leaking caps are the problem and read you can upgrade off newer Miller units. It’s on my short list, but for tig I’ve just been using my inverter machine.

I'm getting her ready to pass state safety inspection so I can get her licensed and back on the road. In the past few weeks...

* Got the headlights and horn working
* Bought and rattle-canned some 16" steel wheels from Summit Racing, installed BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT235/85R16 tires, and new lug nuts
* Replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders
* Had new webbing installed on the seat belts, and had the retractors serviced (they sewed the old ID tags onto the new webbing too).
* Re-upholstered the front seats, new bottom seat cushions
* New floor mat from CityRacer
* New shift knob
* New dash from fj40dash.com
* Gave her a bath

I took her for a spin up and down the street (not licensed, no brakes!) to make sure the clutch worked. She did well. Here are some pics...

Up next...

* Getting the turn signals, reverse light, and license plate lights working
* New brake master cylinder, rotors/calipers/pads, drums/pistons/shoes, and hardware.
* Lots of degreasing

interior_sideways_25_percent.jpg

I'm getting her ready to pass state safety inspection so I can get her licensed and back on the road. In the past few weeks...

* Bought and rattle-canned some 16" steel wheels from Summit Racing, installed BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT235/85R16 tires, and new lug nuts
* Had new webbing installed on the seat belts, and had the retractors serviced (they sewed the old ID tags onto the new webbing too).
* New shift knob
* Gave her a bath

I took her for a spin up and down the street (not licensed, no brakes!) to make sure the clutch worked. She did well. Here are some pics...

View attachment 1996907

View attachment 1996908

View attachment 1996909

Up next...

* New brake master cylinder, rotors/calipers/pads, drums/pistons/shoes, and hardware.
* Lots of degreasing

View attachment 1996906

I'm not sure you're going to need that rifle rack much where you live.

* New shift knob
* Gave her a bath

View attachment 1996907

View attachment 1996908

View attachment 1996909

Up next...

* Lots of degreasing

View attachment 1996906

Why does a 41 year old truck need to go through an inspection.

Why does a 41 year old truck need to go through an inspection.

Because Maryland.
$$$$$$$$$$

Or it could be registered with Historic plates, but that has limitations that come with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom