What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (48 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man that's a nice straight 40 Wijnand!

That's what you get from 35 years of careful ownership without any accident (other than a broken tail-light lens) and in particular, from keeping a constant vigil on rust-development.

Not one ounce/gram of filler used in any panel repaint (Not even any high-build primer.)

Hard for others to believe that it was ALWAYS out in the weather!

:beer:

PS. Looking at it again here reinforces my decision to part with what's left of it. The body is the most important part. I'm seldom happy with the work of others. Getting it looking like that again (without any filler), even with all the skills I've developed over my lifetime would be next-to-impossible for me, and even if it were done, the vehicle just wouldn't feel the same.

Edit: They're rugged old vehicles though...

Imagine how much that old engine must have moved around during all those impacts yet it, and all the connecting drive-train and coolant system etc etc, held together to take me over 600kms home without incident and without the need to perform any repairs at all (other than tying the bonnet down with rope - because both hooks were smashed off and the padlock vanished - and swapping the good left-hand mirror for the ground-off right-hand one)

Fan blades smashed into fan shroud:
View attachment 1329725
Lifting-eye smashed into air cleaner and exhaust manifold smashed into heater pipes:
View attachment 1329724
Lifting-eye smashed into firewall on other side:
View attachment 1329726

And I wondered what I was feeling in the steering. (Rag joint rubbing on vacuum line):
View attachment 1329723
Tom we don't know each other except through this site. But from half way around the world I can feel the anguish you are going through over the loss of a large, very important part of your life. In some ways your 40 may have been what defined you. GET ANOTHER. Show us what'ca got. Build a masterpiece. I'll be watching anxiously for your posts.

Thanks Mike! Now to get it finished.

She's a real beauty Mike! That turbo diesel looks amazing too!
Keep up the great work and take your sweet time finishing this timeless beauty no need to rush!

Made up some under tank pads today from closed cell self adhesive foam. Not quite oem but I like these better.
IMG_2761.JPG

I fitted the tank but forgot to get a picture.

... GET ANOTHER. Show us what'ca got. Build a masterpiece. I'll be watching anxiously for your posts.

You never know what the future holds... :D

In the UK even those plates would command a lot of attention ... (You only need to do a search on "LR1 number plates" to see this.)
Range Rover FFRR.jpg

They certainly would look better on a Land Rover, Range Rover, Defender etc.

Maybe selling them as vanity plates now will give me enough dosh to splash out and buy an immaculate "BJ42 barn find" from somewhere?.

I've kept those plates in my name and even had them made in the newer black-on-white NZ-plate style:
LR1a.jpg

It's a long story as to how I got them back in 1984/85.

Personalised plates didn't even become available in this country until 1988 so these have never EVER been seen on the "personalised plates market" here...
:beer:

Last edited:
Ran some trails yesterday, most challenging ones I've run so far. Dishpan Springs and Holcomb Creek up in the Big Bear area in SoCal. Rig did great (sorry for the header gasket leak sound).

DishpanHolcomb.png

@GA Architect I installed my conical Otis Yellow zinc lug nuts; thanks for hooking me up on where to find them!
Otisnuts.jpg

Last edited:
Was able to add "barn find" to our '64

View attachment 1329857 View attachment 1329858

White turkeys....I used to own an aerial survey company for 12 years. We were patrolling a high pressure gas line in Northwestern Arkansas and topped a ridge line at about 150'AGL. Noticed a white wave of movement on the right side of the aircraft, turned out to be free range turkeys and they piled up in the corner of the fence line...the farmer claimed we killed 5,000 of the birds. The insurance company paid the claim and raised our rates. Haven't cared for turkey since.

White turkeys....I used to own an aerial survey company for 12 years. We were patrolling a high pressure gas line in Northwestern Arkansas and topped a ridge line at about 150'AGL. Noticed a white wave of movement on the right side of the aircraft, turned out to be free range turkeys and they piled up in the corner of the fence line...the farmer claimed we killed 5,000 of the birds. The insurance company paid the claim and raised our rates. Haven't cared for turkey since.

We have stopped raising the Broadbreasted whites because they are so big and dumb. Our 20 week old tom dressed at 28lbs last thanksgiving. This is our first flock of Beltsville small whites which are a smaller heritage breed and have been pretty happy(except when I found the flock on the front porch Saturday morning)

Those are good looking birds and being heritage should be healthier and smarter. The ones we killed were the big ones you have stopped raising. A friend of mine said the big ones were prone to drowning if left out in a rain storm. Don't know if that is true or not.

I had two bronze as pets and of course our Plymouth Barred Rock chickens for eggs.

Pulled the head, going to lap the valves and give her new seals.....
Our engine is NOT art like that last one posted LOL

Pulled the head, going to lap the valves and give her new seals.....
Our engine is NOT art like that last one posted LOL

No pics? It didn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom