What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Muscled the tank back in. There was some flash rusting still after all the chemical soaking but all of the worrisome bits are gone. It doesn't sound like a rattle when you shake it now- which is good.

Threw new fuel filters on and slapped the old carb back on just to see if it would run. I still ran it on starter fluid and it ran fine. Until I found the vacuum leak on one of the butterfly shafts. Oh well, that's what the Sniper is hopefully gonna fix.

Muscled the tank back in. There was some flash rusting still after all the chemical soaking but all of the worrisome bits are gone. It doesn't sound like a rattle when you shake it now- which is good.

Threw new fuel filters on and slapped the old carb back on just to see if it would run. I still ran it on starter fluid and it ran fine. Until I found the vacuum leak on one of the butterfly shafts. Oh well, that's what the Sniper is hopefully gonna fix.
I would be interested in your carb as a core to see if I can rehab it. LMK.

the NEW Bench-Mark .......

6C77AC0C-0E98-424B-8E66-783F35A96861.jpeg

The adventures of FJ40 ownership. For every success there are 2 failures lurking🤔
Well put, whenever I dove in to address/fix something, I would typically find other things that needed attention. I am past a lot of that stuff on the ‘78, the ‘76 has a few gremlins but almost done with mechanicals on that one as well.

Well put, whenever I dove in to address/fix something, I would typically find other things that needed attention. I am past a lot of that stuff on the ‘78, the ‘76 has a few gremlins but almost done with mechanicals on that one as well.

If it’s any reassurance, I started with an extremely neglected 40 (essentially a rusted out parts truck with a roll cage sitting on wood so it didn’t fall through the holes… it took about $1000 year (average) of parts for the first 10 years to keep it happy. For the next 20 years it needed almost nothing.

After 21 years the $300 running engine died… I swap in a 10x nicer $300 runner, and it has been great till I left it sitting for 2 years when the world fell apart because of COVID. I had a few bugs to work out, and once those were resolved it has been awesome again.

After all this semi-coherent rambling you may not see where I’m going… point being, they’re not a bottomless pit. Once you get past the obstacles, you’ll discover the Landcruiser that’s so legendary. It may not be fast or pretty, but it’ll get you there every time… even if the road is no longer there or pretty.

:cheers:

If it’s any reassurance, I started with an extremely neglected 40 (essentially a rusted out parts truck with a roll cage sitting on wood so it didn’t fall through the holes… it took about $1000 year (average) of parts for the first 10 years to keep it happy. For the next 20 years it needed almost nothing.

After 21 years the $300 running engine died… I swap in a 10x nicer $300 runner, and it has been great till I left it sitting for 2 years when the world fell apart because of COVID. I had a few bugs to work out, and once those were resolved it has been awesome again.

After all this semi-coherent rambling you may not see where I’m going… point being, they’re not a bottomless pit. Once you get past the obstacles, you’ll discover the Landcruiser that’s so legendary. It may not be fast or pretty, but it’ll get you there every time… even if the road is no longer there or pretty.

:cheers:
Very well put and completely agree. At this point I would feel comfortable taking either of them damn near anywhere and am
Quite certain either would get me back as well. Both were a mess when purchased, I remember when looking at my ‘78 my Uncle said; “you have quite a bit of work ahead of you!” I said “I agree but I think when I am done I will really have something special.” He said “I agree” and it is special and really needs nothing aside from some little things now. Point is they are very reliable when fixed up and SO worth it in my opinion.

They were a purpose built utility vehicle that was essentially an off road vehicle that could be driven on road. The only thing even remotely close that one can purchase new now in the USA is the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, but I am sure some sacrifices have been made there as well to improve “on road comfort”. Toyota has totally forsaken us here stateside, only offering IFS vehicles which are essentially “on road vehicles that can be driven off road”. I do like my 5th Gen 4Runner, but it is most likely the LAST new Toyota 4X4 I will buy. When I want to do more challenging Offroad stuff it is with one of the 40’s. With solid front axle I have more peace of mind knowing I probably won’t break things.👍

This week I finally remembered to add generous amounts of Stabil 360 and Marvel Mystery Oil when I topped off the tank. My 2F LOVES that stuff! It's one of those "seat of the pants" improvements. Cars and Coffee 8-10 am tomorrow at the Huntsville Whataburger if any of ya'll are passing through. Have a great night!

After wiring up my new fan setup with delay off, I think that my sniper is not putting out enough amps to trigger the 75 amp relay. So I’m move to the Dakota Digital fan controller. Fan contoller

This gives control over delay shutoff, dual fans, dual speed fans, fan on for AC when not up to temp and turn off at high way speeds.

Last edited:
Finally got around to starting on my 1976 that I bought in 1978.

Had many adventures with this old boy during the 44 years I have owned it.

Feel bad for letting it sit for over 10 years. Life has a way of getting in the way of best laid plans.

Feels good to get it back out and working on it again.

Edit: I guess I'll edit this considering all the Likes. WOW.....thanks everybody.

The light green with the green stripes was another version of my same old 40 I built ( probably back in the early 80s I think) because I wanted more of a topless ride. But then I wanted a deeper bed in the back so I built some 1/8 inch steel side panels that fit on the sides where the hardtop mounts. Gave me a pickup truck type bed. Or so I was thinking. lol I also made 1/8 thick steel tail gate for the rear. A little overkill I guess but I never bent it. lol

The river crossing was an adventure up in Georgia. Can't remember where though. I think maybe around marietta. My buddy(who owned a 40 also) and I drove up to see some people we met on a hiking trip. He said we should come visit and he would show us some 4 wheeling trails. That's his daughter standing on my hood. I actually drove thru that 3 times that day. First time was to see if it was possible. LMAO....... I made it so I turned around and drove back to the rest of the group waiting to see if I was going to drown. I convinced them it was safe ( the trick was to keep your speed so the wave would stay at hood level and not wash over) so I turned around and drove thru again. I was only one who made it up the steep bank each time. My buddy had a winch so we winched him up and over. Fun Fun.......

The pic of my 40 when I painted it white was at the shipping yard in New Orleans. That's where it was shipped over to South America for the TransAm Adventure Rally in 1988. Something like a 7000 mile race thru South America. My old 40 made it the whole way. Somehow!!!!!! Never thought I would ever see it again after that Adventure because I had no idea how to get it back to America. Some local at the end of the race said he could handle all the shipping so a few of us gave him our vehicles and we flew back to America. Low and behold I get a notice in the mail around 6 months later that my 40 was in a port in Jacksonville Florida. Holy Cow!!!!!! He is back!!!!!!!

Last pic is just another day in the mud. Evidently I like mud. LOL

20220816_190620.jpg
20220817_191741.jpg
20180611_193854.jpg
20180611_130222.jpg
20180611_125402.jpg
20180611_114305.jpg
20180611_125821.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
@DaveNotHere love these photos… reminds me of my ‘74 right down to the half-cab top. Never knew how much I enjoyed my land cruiser until I got the ‘75 I have now and the main cause: life got in the way….

@DaveNotHere love these photos… reminds me of my ‘74 right down to the half-cab top. Never knew how much I enjoyed my land cruiser until I got the ‘75 I have now and the main cause: life got in the way….
Life still getting in my way. lol

Nothing like a FJ40 Landcruiser. Mine never let me down.

I hope to eventually get this old boy looking good again. Might take awhile though.

I have tons of old pics somewhere.

Life still getting in my way. lol

Nothing like a FJ40 Landcruiser. Mine never let me down.

I hope to eventually get this old boy looking good again. Might take awhile though.

I have tons of old pics somewhere.
I have a bunch of great photos as well….proof that I was a real love affair….Don‘t wait too too long…. I woke up to the surprise that I will be 70 in a few months… where’d the time go? ( strength and energy seems to have gone too!) here’s to you …:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom