What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (80 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

be careful though! It will take off going down the road! I keep mine in the glove box and one in my tool box. (Along with a couple in the spare parts bin in case I forget and loose another one..)

Took care of that concern!
15782848699615732818722152010242.jpg

Hitting speeds in the 70's or even 80's with a stock drive-train is like your flux capacitor on overload, and time travel is near...

This is my third 40 never had any of them over 70 mph.
I get excited when I pass 60.. I think 63-64 is the fastest I've gone… and only for a mile or so.
I’ve seen the odometer hit 85+ 10% error = +/- 94 mph. Decided that’s faster than a 40 needs to go. Slow down and enjoy the journey :cheers:

Last edited:
Now I just need an effective way to join the ‘0’ gauge wire that goes to the 2nd battery ;)

My other rig has two batteries in parallel to start the diesel. The ‘97 battery clamp on the positive terminal is getting tired/beat by POs. I’m sure the solution lies in switching to military type connectors. For now I’ll likely just clean the terminals, swap in a new pair of batteries. Tracking down parts will be a project for a different day. I’ve got battery terminals from an ‘01 in my parts pile, but they’re still 19 years old and likely not worth the headache of swapping them in.

More cleaning, wire wheel and sanding. Red circled areas are where this vehicle got some off-road use. I've got it beat back into close proximity of where it should be. Pink circles show where a cobbled-up roll cage was installed by PO.....no structural support, just bolt it to the sheet metal floor...

belly.jpg

More cleaning, wire wheel and sanding. Red circled areas are where this vehicle got some off-road use. I've got it beat back into close proximity of where it should be. Pink circles show where a cobbled-up roll cage was installed by PO.....no structural support, just bolt it to the sheet metal floor...

View attachment 2175004
Another poor decision by PO! I am never surprised by the lack of knowledge or just common sense of PO’s!!’

To keep my rig half as cool as @1911 I had to add some grease zerks in my rear tire carrier.

20200106_105614.jpg
20200106_110104.jpg

I repaired a couple of the M6 X 1.0 slab-sided, weld-nuts that had rusty, broken cap screws used in securing the tunnel cover. It's a quick fix that was simple. (FYI - I'm not "restoring" this vehicle.....just trying to bring it back to life).
1.) Use a thin, metal cutoff wheel in a 4.5" grinder and slice off the extruded threaded section flush.
2.) Drill out any remaining capscrew & weld-nut base to the same diameter as the sheet metal it's welded to.
3.) Tack-weld a new M6 x 1.0 nut onto the old nut base.

This worked very well. You may need to center-punch before drilling. The remaining weld-nut base plate adds enough thickness to allow for a couple heavy tacks without burning through the floor's sheet metal. The new nut is centered & held in place by a long capscrew (that was also used as a grounding lug for the mig welder. Not rocket science, but a solid, easy repair....that someone probably did long before this post.

weld nut.jpg

More work on the dash. Interval wipers wrapped up:

View attachment 2174132

Air door servo relay module:

View attachment 2174136View attachment 2174137

I also found some of these interlocking ring terminals like Toyota used for various applications in their wiring harnesses. I plan to use for terminating the fusible links at the battery.

View attachment 2174140
Very cool! Which of the chunks enabled the intermittent wipers? Is there a wiring diagram somewhere you used that shows how to do this?

Discovered another opportunity to do some rust repair on my FJ. Looks like the PO had packed the rear left and right quarter panels rust spots with bondo. I was hoping for a touch of surface rust and an easy fix, but once I got the paint and such off the metal looked awful. The passenger side is what it looked like once I got the paint off. The driver side was what it looked like once I cut the chunk out to further inspect the sill. I have ordered new metal from CCOT to fix it...hopefully....

0708B803-CC9F-4D08-A43A-760139669819.jpeg

8D2B17BD-2150-4D73-93A7-4333E3EEA08C.jpeg

Very cool! Which of the chunks enabled the intermittent wipers? Is there a wiring diagram somewhere you used that shows how to do this?

This was made for my 73 that has the wiper motor on the top of the windshield. I believe this will work with any of the FJ40 wiper motors that switch on negative side of the motor. It uses the Datsun wiper amp since they switched their wipers on the negative side. This interval wiper switch like @FJ40GURU and @ToyotaMatt sell was made for the later FJ40s that had the wiper motor switch on the positive side, using the Toyota wiper module. It works just as well in this application using the Datsun module. This is the best picture of my wiring I have. If enough people are interested I could clean it up some to make it more useful.

1578352755643.png

This was made for my 73 that has the wiper motor on the top of the windshield. I believe this will work with any of the FJ40 wiper motors that switch on negative side of the motor. It uses the Datsun wiper amp since they switched their wipers on the negative side. This interval wiper switch like @FJ40GURU and @ToyotaMatt sell was made for the later FJ40s that had the wiper motor switch on the positive side, using the Toyota wiper module. It works just as well in this application using the Datsun module. This is the best picture of my wiring I have. If enough people are interested I could clean it up some to make it more useful.

View attachment 2175266

Your Breaking NEW Ground Russ for the entire 40 & 55 Series

Land Cruiser
Communities !

This is What MUD is all about

Good Show Brother !
:D

Sumitomo Electric - Copy.png

Tokai_Rika_logo1111.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom