What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (55 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

picked up some well used slee skid plates from @hoser on Sunday. i got the belly plate and intermediate plate. Slee says you need both the belly pan and the front skid to mount the intermediate plate but i was able to mount it without the front skid by drilling some holes that lined up with holes in the stock diff cross member and through bolted it with some 3" long 7/16 grade 8 bolts. 3" long bolt is just barely long enough to get through with 2 washers and a nut and clear the oil pan. if you had a diff drop it wouldnt be a problem and you could use a longer bolt with a lock washer (which i did on one side).
20200510_183513-01.jpeg
20200511_160130-01.jpeg

those holes in the cross member already go all the way through. i just drilled the skid plate.
20200511_155408-01.jpeg

the bolt on the left in the picture is 3.5 inches and has a lock washer on top. a 3.5 wouldn't fit on the right due to the oil pan.
20200511_171402-01.jpeg

this last pic is the gap between the stock front skid and the intermediate skid. i handled it by bolting the splash shield back on over top the skid. i could have left it off entirely and been fine. i plan to order the front slee skid imminently so I'll deal with it then. you don't need the slee diff drop to do what i did but i think I'll need it when using the front skid depending on how it bends around the front cross member and diff. besides it will probably have the proper welded nut locations so i can just use bolts. and lowering the diff probably isn't a bad thing
20200511_171502-01.jpeg

unintended consequence: engine noise seems much louder. it must be reflecting off the intermediate plate. not sure i like that aspect.

edit: now i think the exhaust is contacting the belly pan since its bowed a little, leading to vibration congruent with engine RPM. :hmm:

Last edited:
Hi all. Noobie here. I visit the forum from time to time for advise on my 2003 cruiser. Thanksfor all the tips! Anyway, I super cleaned my engine bay last weekend.
85D8A11A-2937-4A3E-9D1D-0997DC40C642.jpeg
5E86985C-E033-4906-9995-82FF1C0AE12A.jpeg

here is the before and after. Next is changing the diff and transfer case fluids. First time for me! Ill also drain and fill the atf. Ill use mobile 1 syn atf, and mobile 1 delvac 75w-90. I am planning on just pulling the plug on the atf and refilling the 2 quarts or so through the dipstick. Any tips I should be aware of?
Best.

Hi all. Noobie here. I visit the forum from time to time for advise on my 2003 cruiser. Thanksfor all the tips! Anyway, I super cleaned my engine bay last weekend.
, View attachment 2303386 View attachment 2303390
here is the before and after. Next is changing the diff and transfer case fluids. First time for me! Ill also drain and fill the atf. Ill use mobile 1 syn atf, and mobile 1 delvac 75w-90. I am planning on just pulling the plug on the atf and refilling the 2 quarts or so through the dipstick. Any tips I should be aware of?
Best.
Keep an eye on your radiator, it's turning brown which is an indicator that it's on its last leg. Easy DIY replacement if you can get your hands on an (I can't stress this enough) OEM replacement.

Have had lucy for 4 months now. New carpet set from Carid. (definitely would not recommend them) and found a local guy to weld up and powder coat this Bumper and roof rack. They fit very well, and combined it was around $900.00
Love this rig a lot ,I still have my 80, but really prefer to drive the 100.

20200228_165205.jpg

20200301_154800.jpg

girls 3.jpg

Last weekend after a drive, I noticed a hot smell from the front. Crawled under to see a torn CV boot which had slung all of the grease from the outboard joint. I figured with over 200k on the original axles, rather than reboot, I should take the time to replace them both, along with new flanges, caps and gaskets. I also plan to replace my LCA bushings with poly bushings too while I'm in there... which sounds like a job from hell, but I have a sawzall, drill, map torch and air chisel, so I'm hoping it wont be too terrible. I've replaced every other rubber bit on the truck with poly over the years, but these are the only bushings that remain untouched...

I've spent this week collecting parts. Only thing I'm waiting on now is the LCA/t-bar reinforcement brackets from Cruiser Outfitters (again... while I'm in there).

Time to show this old girl some love again!

I'm afraid I may be in the same boat (link to my recent post below). Any advice you can provide on the install/part numbers would be much appreciated. Thanks and good luck!

Replaced UCA ball joints, new bearings with spindle bearing/bushing last weekend. Didn't do LCA ball joints, too much work for me.
Got alignment today and driver front is tilted to my eye even. Running 1.5-2 inch lift with OEM UCAs.
Is this ok?
IMG_20200511_185436__01.jpg

Replaced UCA ball joints, new bearings with spindle bearing/bushing last weekend. Didn't do LCA ball joints, too much work for me.
Got alignment today and driver front is tilted to my eye even. Running 1.5-2 inch lift with OEM UCAs.
Is this ok?
View attachment 2303488
how much did you pay for this alignment? it appears they didn't do a dang thing! no change. and they didn't even try to change castor which is out of spec.

how much did you pay for this alignment? it appears they didn't do a dang thing! no change. and they didn't even try to change castor which is out of spec.
Firestone lifetime alignment, didn't cost this time. But time is valuable anyways, should I try another location?

Firestone lifetime alignment, didn't cost this time. But time is valuable anyways, should I try another location?
that's good you didn't pay. i don't think they know how to change castor or camber so they didn't touch it. or anything, not even toe. i would ask for maximum castor while maintaining 0 camber. lots of people can get the castor in spec with the stock UCAs and a 2" lift. i would try a shop that specializes in off-road and lifted vehicles. failing that i would try the Toyota dealer.

Is this ok?
View attachment 2303488
Were they definitely performing an alignment, and not just an alignment check? I know tire places around here will throw in a free alignment check, which doesn't actually include any adjustments unless you pay for it.

I have a very important meme to share. Can't remember where I posted this before, but here it is

N6Qhnsr.jpg
Accurately sums it up! Nice work.

90480-18001 is always fun when original. :lol: Always have a set of hemostats around.

View attachment 2302132

View attachment 2302134

View attachment 2302135

And found an entire nest in the V. Probably been there for years...

View attachment 2302133
View attachment 2302136
Lol- Mine came with the Nest Option as well. Imagine there's quite a few of them out there. Interesting that it looked like that mine had some of the jute from interior carpet insulation- I think getting in through the void where the hood hinges reside against the firewall.

Had my steering rack replaced. I'd done the bushings around the new year, but the rack gave up the ghost after a pretty gnarly trail ride. Got the part (Toyota part #, not Lexus) for $666 and paid my Lexus tech buddy $250 to install it at the dealer. Win win win. He did discover a leak in my 2 year old radiator (suspected, but never ran very hot), so I ordered a new CSF and will try that dance out next week. Fingers crossed.

Also had my buddy @JT4runner over on Saturday for a paint correction. A recent trip to the mountains yielded me a ton of new cosmetic character. It's cool to an extent, but I'm not into a rough looking daily driver if I can help it. Did some Alabama pinstripe removal, wet sanding, glass polish, and finished with 2 coats of ceramic coating. She turned out beautifully!

IMG_20200509_132256_01.jpg

20200510_125211_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200512_152653_01.jpg

For any folks looking to purchase any SuperPro bushings and what not: Suspension.com | Every Suspension Part In One Place is running a promo for 25% off bushings and 20% any roll control products (sway bars) through May 27th. They do free shipping if you cart total is > 99 bucks. They are based on Colorado and based on my prior experiences with this vendor I have been super happy (PS I am not affiliated with this vendor nor do I get kickbacks from them, lol).

The steering rack bushings for newer 100 series are US$52.94 spf2987k | Steering Rack Bushings | 98-07 Landcruiser 100
The steering rack bushings for older 100 series are: US$ 50.29 spf2470k | Front Steering Rack and Pinion Bushing | LX470 98-07
The front differential bushing is: $39.70 : spf3575k | Front Lower Differential Bushings | Lexus LX470 98-07
They also have control arm bushings in stock.

Which are less than what I could find them on Amazon, ebay, etc.

Here are the other items they carry: Toyota Landcruiser Series 100 2005 | Suspension.com I believe they also carry stuff from Whiteline, Moog, and SPC. I think I saw adjustable front control arms and rear control arms.

I just snagged the Whiteline adjustable pan hard (not on sale) to replace my tired OEM one, steering rack bushings, and the front differential bushing.

I have a very important meme to share. Can't remember where I posted this before, but here it is

N6Qhnsr.jpg

One of the google search can be why did I get
For any folks looking to purchase any SuperPro bushings and what not: Suspension.com | Every Suspension Part In One Place is running a promo for 25% off bushings and 20% any roll control products (sway bars) through May 27th. They do free shipping if you cart total is > 99 bucks. They are based on Colorado and based on my prior experiences with this vendor I have been super happy (PS I am not affiliated with this vendor nor do I get kickbacks from them, lol).

The steering rack bushings for newer 100 series are US$52.94 spf2987k | Steering Rack Bushings | 98-07 Landcruiser 100
The steering rack bushings for older 100 series are: US$ 50.29 spf2470k | Front Steering Rack and Pinion Bushing | LX470 98-07
The front differential bushing is: $39.70 : spf3575k | Front Lower Differential Bushings | Lexus LX470 98-07
They also have control arm bushings in stock.

Which are less than what I could find them on Amazon, ebay, etc.

Here are the other items they carry: Toyota Landcruiser Series 100 2005 | Suspension.com I believe they also carry stuff from Whiteline, Moog, and SPC. I think I saw adjustable front control arms and rear control arms.

I just snagged the Whiteline adjustable pan hard (not on sale) to replace my tired OEM one, steering rack bushings, and the front differential bushing.

I just bought a kit from them a week ago for the rear suspension. Looks like they jacked up the prices and now are running the promo. I got the kit for 229 $ and now its for 267$. I still could have save 30$ but I guess it is too late now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom