What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it's probably just brushes. i replaced mine when i did my last timing belt job. around 275k. they were close to done. if people would just replace brushes at every other timing belt they would likely never have an alternator failure. well maybe bearings. but mine had close to 300k now and it's still going. its so easy to change the brushes when doing the timing belt. its like one more bolt and the wiring connector.

good option but when buying reman don't you get new bearings? OEM reman is like $150 from lexus parts now or can buy direct from denso.

good option but when buying reman don't you get new bearings? OEM reman is like $150 from lexus parts now or can buy direct from denso.

yeah but brushes are like $20! I'd do a remand or new alternator when the bearings go. you can replace bearings too but most folks i bet would rather have a whole new alt at that point. i would just inspect bearings when replacing brushes and at every timing belt service. you already have the belt off.

x2 on the brushes. I did my brushes at 180k during the timing belt, and it looked like it had enough to survive 250k miles, which right around what everyone else is getting for their alternator life.

Only finished installing 1 of my new rear controls arms from @TRAIL TAILOR installed, but man they are so beefy compared to the OEMs.

9701B188-5DE8-4415-BDBC-D6454717E854.jpeg

Do you have a build thread on this, or detail pics of the union with the LX frame? I’m moving towards this project myself, and appreciate the work others have done. Thanks!

I don't. I can't ever remember to take pictures until I stop for the day. I can take some pictures tomorrow, I promised the wife I wouldn't just hang out in the garage today. It mostly just bolts up where the receiver hitch goes.

I like how you recessed the spindle area for the tire carrier. Looks good so far!

Thank you. I am just making it up as I go. Started off with a piece of 2x4x3/16" rectangle tube clamped to the back and went from there.

Made a long list of neglected items. I've spent the past six months helping the boy get his TR7 that he bought himself ready for his 16th Birthday. This is first on the list!View attachment 2300936View attachment 2300938

Congrats on the son's TR7, it will certainly teach him how to be a great mechanic...I had a British Sports car as my first, loved it...and it taught me everything I needed to know about working on vehicles.

Newest addition to the fleet - 2002 Lexus LX470. Took delivery last night and put about 50 miles on it this morning. 4.7 is silky smooth compared to the 5.7 in the 200.

3CB3E39E-EDE5-4981-8236-1F47EFA506F1.jpeg

I have the TT diff drop and was thinking about the ASFIR skid... so it won’t work without modifying? Bummer...

View attachment 2300856
Installed a fumuto drain valve and replaced with Mobil 1 0w-30 and OEM filter. I need to add a hole in my mid TJM skids to access the drain valve.

Also installed my front ASFIR skid, need to get a 90 to 120 mm tall puck for the center of the skid. As I have @Trail Tailors diff drop and the ASFIR skid doesn’t have the hump like the OEM one does. Also need to add a middle hole to the rear of the skid plate to line up with the diff drop. On the plus side, plenty of room to access the oil filter, I folded a piece of cardboard to help it drain.
View attachment 2300877

Not something I did to my hundred, but something I did for her—replaced my 25 year old, overfilled, and busted-zippered tool bag with a new one that allows me to organize 80% of the big junk that was rattling around in the bottom of my old bag. Now there’s just a BFH, big wrenches, and a tool roll loose in the main bag compartment. Soo much better.

below see everything spread out, then packed....

View attachment 2300983

View attachment 2300984

View attachment 2300985
That's quite a collection you carry! Enquiring minds want to know what tool did you choose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom