What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m not a ARB fan either, but you talk like the 80 is a disposable “appliance” car that can be pieced back together with body panels bought on Amazon. I don’t blame people for wanting to avoid having to track down parts and try to paint match 30yo paint. It would suck to have to do a full respray because your fender and hood got damaged.

That said, bow to the best 80 bumper ever made :flipoff2:

View attachment 3228299
Is that the SLEE Shortbus bumper?

Perhaps if you live in the land of midget deer.
Hey man, I hit one our deer last week. No damage to the truck at all.

3E07C5C8-9EAC-4572-9A33-65E46AD81C20.jpeg

$3900 out the door for Catastrophic Converter replacement surgery.

Fortunately, we have $100 comp deductible.

Still looking for a viable solution to prevent it from happening again, and again, and again.

This shop won’t add any preventative devices anymore because everything they’ve tried have been defeated. (Shields, Cat Gaurd cables) and their customers have demanded refunds - just not worth it.

They said half jokingly, “just make a monthly appointment to come in and have a new one installed”.

1674594872572.png

Still looking for a viable solution to prevent it from happening again, and again, and again.

This shop won’t add any preventative devices anymore because everything they’ve tried have been defeated. (Shields, Cat Gaurd cables) and their customers have demanded refunds - just not worth it.

They said half jokingly, “just make a monthly appointment to come in and have a new one installed”.

View attachment 3228512
I still think a claymore with a trip wire around the cat is the way to go.

Maybe a SS container of sulphuric acid in a spray nozzle that if the cable is cut it opens and sprays a wide pattern of acid onto the ground below the vehicle.

Then a neutralizer will spray down there within 5 minutes after firing the first container.

Could mount the containers under the hood...

I'm putting way too much thought into this.

I'm putting way too much thought into this.
Lol. I was thinking about welding a steel tube filled with roofing tar. And positioning in such a way that you have to cut through that too.

All the better if it is molten hot when they cut through it.

Or. Airbags. And just slam it to the hard deck when you park.

Lol. I was thinking about welding a steel tube filled with roofing tar. And positioning in such a way that you have to cut through that too.

All the better if it is molten hot when they cut through it.

Or. Airbags. And just slam it to the hard deck when you park.
This guy (Tacoma owner) used razor wire around his cat!

razor wire.jpg

You mean your's actually goes down on it's own? :D

I spray the hinges on mine at least twice a year with lithium grease and at best it has only taken less effort to open it. Never just dropped down like it should.
The hinges are probably bent and binding.

What if….
You wrapped the cats, the pipe etc, up like a mummy in fiberglass cloth. Maybe layer in some stainless aircraft cable for extra cut resistance. I’m not suggesting coating the cloth with resin, but leaving it raw.

A sawzall will probably shread the cloth, but not cut it. Might try an experiment this weekend.

I wrapped a dirt bike pipe like this once.

1674612420510.png

Is it impossible to want my appliances to look good?

I didn't buy the land cruiser to own forever or even 5 years. I bought it to take camping and go wheeling with until I can pickup a bronco raptor. It may stay around as my son likes it.

But I rarely keep cars. Aside from my lightning and my 68 mustang I've never owned anything longer than 4 years. I usually keep a vehicle 18-24 months and move on.
I had a Bronco Raptor ordered (April delivery) and cancelled - bought another 80 instead. It's either genius or stupidity. Jury is out.

Buddy's brother now has the order instead.

View attachment 3228512
MetalTech.

I had a Bronco Raptor ordered (April delivery) and cancelled - bought another 80 instead. It's either genius or stupidity. Jury is out.

We have a local dealer that has been paying people $10,000 to take their Bronco order and turn it over to them.

That dealership has been successfully getting $100K on the new broncos, not the raptors, so I'm sure they'll get even more for those.

We have a local dealer that has been paying people $10,000 to take their Bronco order and turn it over to them.

That dealership has been successfully getting $100K on the new broncos, not the raptors, so I'm sure they'll get even more for those.

Ford is paying people $2,500 to buy a lower model bronco or to buy a different Ford and cancel their current bronco order because the broncos so delayed.

For the type of wheeling you do and the way you drive I think the 80 you bought is probably perfect. I want something that I can drive all the time and your new 80 is not that

View attachment 3228512

Makes me glad the two rigs in the driveway don't have cats.

Couldn't find proper mount for shovel, so improvised a fugly solution.

Will add some zip ties for good measure as well ....
IMG-20230125-WA0013.jpeg
IMG-20230125-WA0015.jpeg

Is it impossible to want my appliances to look good?

I didn't buy the land cruiser to own forever or even 5 years. I bought it to take camping and go wheeling with until I can pickup a bronco raptor. It may stay around as my son likes it.

But I rarely keep cars. Aside from my lightning and my 68 mustang I've never owned anything longer than 4 years. I usually keep a vehicle 18-24 months and move on.
Bronco Raptor, now there is a disposable appliance! I actually have enjoyed driving my wife's Expedition, but the thought of having to keep/maintain it beyond a few years is frightening. But those Broncos do look good, I will concede that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom