What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (75 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was “simply” going to grind & seal a rust spot on my roof where there was a missing patch of paint. Found a pea-sized hole. Then dug into the little cracks elsewhere and found more holes. f***in’ rust, always. At least frame, underbelly & rest of body are quite good for age. Methinks at least partly related to a sunroof leak the PO(s) experienced in the past for an undetermined amount of time. Could be worse, but not so easy working without a garage in one of the most rainy locations around. Pop-up cover is a no go at this spot either.

Not the end of the world by any means, but rust has become the bane of my existence. Edit: more holes since original post, all about the same size. I think I’ve knocked out the worst, though.

View attachment 2412950View attachment 2412951

You got off lucky !!

4BBAAFF7-6DED-4353-AEBB-1CEA3D7D28EC.jpeg

94486014-D79F-4D64-B6B6-0AE818EF1420.jpeg

Last edited:
Finished cutting out my front inner fenders, and Finished welding up the outer lip of the inner rear fenders. Looking for a cheap way to fill in the rest of the gaps in the rear. Anyone have any suggestions?View attachment 2412931View attachment 2412932View attachment 2412933View attachment 2412931View attachment 2412932View attachment 2412933View attachment 2412934
Looks good, but since you cut off the outer edge that could of been folded back in I don't see any other way but to weld it back together. @Broski just completed a complete front & rear on his build thread I think it's Broski's Never to late build thread.

IMG_20200822_124149.jpg

Installed this excessively huge light bar. :rofl: Didn't like it and took it back off. Have to wait and see what it looks like on my future roof rack.

Dual batteries hooked up. Got the kit from expo hud @LC4LIFE Sells his kits on the site. Awesome kit and great feedback. Works just as expected.

FWIW - if you plan the positive battery posts so they are both towards the middle of the engine compartment the kit fits better. It also matches the ground to fenderwell cable at the starting battery. No difference in function though.

Knocked a few things off the list this weekend.
- "New" headlights from the yard (pulled apart the lenses to clean them out) then added led bulbs. HUGE improvement!!
- 150A alternator/wiring upgrade. Thanks for the quick shipment @Photoman! Easy install and my blower is faster, windows roll up quicker, etc
- Other odds and ends PM
- Washed the rigs by hand in order to hopefully bring some much-needed rain. (usually works, right??)
IMG_20200823_125130_833.jpg

20200823_130439.jpg

Knocked a few things off the list this weekend.
- "New" headlights from the yard (pulled apart the lenses to clean them out) then added led bulbs. HUGE improvement!!
- 150A alternator/wiring upgrade. Thanks for the quick shipment @Photoman! Easy install and my blower is faster, windows roll up quicker, etc
- Other odds and ends PM
- Washed the rigs by hand in order to hopefully bring some much-needed rain. (usually works, right??)
View attachment 2413712
View attachment 2413719
Which LEDs did you go with?

I sat in the 80 today and read a cool article.

I ended up with these from Amazon. I still need to fine tune the cutoff, but overall WAY better than stock and I still haven't done the "super loom" upgrade.

Amazon product ASIN B07JNV9TKM
View attachment 2413745
I bought the same ones. I've gotta say, I love bright lights, but even after focusing these correctly, they are just too bright. The wife said that they were paralyzingly blinding. Not sure if that's a word, but you get the point. Be careful. I took mine out earlier this week and went back to a good set of Phillips for fear of getting into an "Unhinged" road rage issue from someone in front of me. Yea, they're that bright. YMMV

I sat in the 80 today and read a cool article.

That’s because you need to have that kind of money to keep them running and all the Accessories to bolt on......

Some overly simplistic make-life-easy stuff vetted during my last trip:

Ram seat bolt mount with Amazon tab holder. Components from different manufacturers will work together providing they’re each operating under the AMPS standard. Add a 1/2” P-style wire retainer to the existing screw hole to stabilize.

$10 uniden external speaker if you’re mountng the transceiver portion of a ham under seat. The triangular shape is a perfect fit and doesn’t interfere with the e-brake. Velcro or d-side tape to avoid drilling.

B9379CC2-FF66-4479-8DC2-E801680BD2E7.jpeg

D6C466DA-228E-411F-80DA-1F4851D78A16.jpeg

EE554078-3A3D-4B8E-B9AE-21DE7D78A8EE.jpeg

Almost done with the rear bumper build. It's taken a longer than I anticipated, but the end is in sight.

IMG_20200823_161347572_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200823_153938728_HDR.jpg

Finally found a few hours to work on the rig. Last project to sneak in before it goes to get the axles and suspension re built is the Dual Battery set up, which is a customized Big Kit from HUDDEXPO aka @LC4LIFE . I am going to do a full write up, however here is a sneak peak.

Original battery setup
1598223970659.png

New OEM tray setup, even had the OCD moment and bought the foam!
1598223999308.png

New Odyssey group 34R w/ spacer, Mil-Spec terminals, and Hudd Expo cables.
1598224028015.png

Probably will need a spacer on the Negative terminal/Ground cable.
1598224081317.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom