What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (72 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good question, the filter is still on the side of the block, I can go look. Do I win a prize if it is?

" What do we have for him Bob?"

You COULD win a FREE ENGINE REBUILD!!!!!!!

Have you read any of the threads on the Wix filters?

Recently, one member here contacted Mann & Hummel, the mfr of Wix filters and he was able to get paid for the rebuild.

This is significant.

Oh boy, it's FREE!.....:confused:

" What do we have for him Bob?"

You COULD win a FREE ENGINE REBUILD!!!!!!!

Have you read any of the threads on the Wix filters?

Recently, one member here contacted Mann & Hummel, the mfr of Wix filters and he was able to get paid for the rebuild.

This is significant.

Just checked, genuine Toyota filter on it.

Splurged on a set of KO2's. The STT Pros had started to wear me down. The ride difference is quite astounding.
20200710_121141.jpg

Just in time for the next road trip.

Now i have a set of 5 Discoverer STT Pro's (LT315/75R16) with lots of meat on them if anyone is interested.
15943978751751858116238984052038.jpg

Tore out all the PO sketchy wiring for radios and accessories in the center console. Ran 3 strands of 12gauge both ground and power, 2 sets are getting used one set is just for future use...

Need to still do a rad flush and get a Landtank custom diesel fan clutch so I can run a stock 1Fz fan again. Some alarming temps through the heat waves were having up here in southern Ontario.

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

PO wiring that i had temporarily tapped into for a trip....
IMG_0254.JPG

Picture from a recent camping getaway! 😁
IMG_0091-Edit-1.jpg

Last edited:
Splurged on a set of KO2's. The STT Pros had started to wear me down. The ride difference is quite astounding.
View attachment 2367247

Just in time for the next road trip.

Now i have a set of 5 Discoverer STT Pro's (LT315/75R16) with lots of meat on them if anyone is interested.
View attachment 2367250
How long did you have the STT Pros, from the pic I can see that they had similar uneven wear to the ones I had. They were absolutely terrible and I got rid of them with much less wear than yours. They become so loud and rough it was unbearable. I would never recommend that tire to anyone.

How long did you have the STT Pros, from the pic I can see that they had similar uneven wear to the ones I had. They were absolutely terrible and I got rid of them with much less wear than yours. They become so loud and rough it was unbearable. I would never recommend that tire to anyone.
My set has 30k on them. Wear pattern is uneven and they are noisy as hell on the highway but a fantastic tire off road. There is still about 9mm of tread on them.

My set has 30k on them. Wear pattern is uneven and they are noisy as hell on the highway but a fantastic tire off road. There is still about 9mm of tread on them.
Glad you liked them offroad. From my experience with tires, they were mediocre offroad. Not even worth buying for offroad use IMO.

Since getting back from my Idaho trip with @Delta VS I have been tinkering with air flow.

I first cut a big hole in the fender to install a new Safari snorkel I picked up from @cruiseroutfit. I noticed that the design has changed from the old 80 series safari snorkels. The new version has a significantly larger diameter, which I am very happy about. I am running a 10” Donaldson pre-cleaner “Salad Spinner” to make sure that red UT dirt stays out of my engine.

EA3C5C7E-D2FC-4EDF-9E54-90F9E9C22320.jpeg

I then moved onto the hood and started cutting more holes. I picked up a pair of 11 x 5” louver panels from Rod Louvers that looked about the right size for what I wanted. Cutting up the hood was a bit nerve wracking...but measure plenty of times, make a template and get to work.

61AC715F-CCD0-4C3F-80BF-9BB148856326.jpeg

I painted the panels to match the 1B1 champagne color with 3 coats and 3 coats of clear....even painted the stainless bolts to avoid anything too shiny.

A2BBDBA3-2E28-431E-9AC2-06231DE0FDFC.jpeg

I am pretty happy with how it turned out. You can feel the heat just dumping out of these...which was the point.

2B1A8144-61DA-45EE-8F81-DE95F5250353.jpeg

B9F748B8-C60B-465F-BE8E-BE81F0CCFCFA.jpeg

I like the look so much that today I called Rob up and ordered another set, but this time in a weld-in version rather than bolt on. I plan to do the same mod to my Cummins 80.

Got my 1991 out and wiped it down with a nice clean dust cloth. I "finished" restoration last fall and have really enjoyed it. I considered selling it to buy my wife a Grand Wagoneer, but I just can't part with it. Probably spent too much bringing it back to this level. It is a joy to drive and gets complements from everyone who sees it. The virus stopped most of the car shows so I have not been able to enjoy bringing it out this spring.

I found a Grand Wagoneer project so that will consume my spare time this summer/fall. Wow are those things junk compared to my Land Cruisers. Hopefully my wife will also reach that conclusion and I can sell the GW for a nice profit. I suspect, however, I will over-restore it as well. It is a nice localish car with no rust and a good original interior. It should be fun to improve over time.

RKTINC

9C38EDD8-F097-4D1A-93CB-44E3892A0572.jpeg
7BEDCE8B-070C-4021-AA52-BF00AB7E67A0.jpeg
044C4891-08A5-4506-B526-15568BA1D8AA.jpeg

Since getting back from my Idaho trip with @Delta VS I have been tinkering with air flow.

I first cut a big hole in the fender to install a new Safari snorkel I picked up from @cruiseroutfit. I noticed that the design has changed from the old 80 series safari snorkels. The new version has a significantly larger diameter, which I am very happy about. I am running a 10” Donaldson pre-cleaner “Salad Spinner” to make sure that red UT dirt stays out of my engine.

EA3C5C7E-D2FC-4EDF-9E54-90F9E9C22320.jpeg

I then moved onto the hood and started cutting more holes. I picked up a pair of 11 x 5” louver panels from Rod Louvers that looked about the right size for what I wanted. Cutting up the hood was a bit nerve wracking...but measure plenty of times, make a template and get to work.

61AC715F-CCD0-4C3F-80BF-9BB148856326.jpeg

I painted the panels to match the 1B1 champagne color with 3 coats and 3 coats of clear....even painted the stainless bolts to avoid anything too shiny.

A2BBDBA3-2E28-431E-9AC2-06231DE0FDFC.jpeg

I am pretty happy with how it turned out. You can feel the heat just dumping out of these...which was the point.

2B1A8144-61DA-45EE-8F81-DE95F5250353.jpeg

B9F748B8-C60B-465F-BE8E-BE81F0CCFCFA.jpeg

I like the look so much that today I called Rob up and ordered another set, but this time in a weld-in version rather than bolt on. I plan to do the same mod to my Cummins 80.
I purchased and received the same louvers lasts week. Plan is to install these before i leave for rubicon on 20th. Any tips to a clean and successful install? How did the hood insulation cut and did that turn out clean on the underside

I purchased and received the same louvers lasts week. Plan is to install these before i leave for rubicon on 20th. Any tips to a clean and successful install? How did the hood insulation cut and did that turn out clean on the underside
Take your time figuring out placement so you can avoid having to cut out any hood bracing. I had to trim the bracing in a few spots, but didn’t have to remove and bracing. Use the hood line (where it dips down from the higher center section as the inside edge and run the panels parallel to it.

I removed the hood liner for now, it’s a little beat up, so my plan is to get a new one and cut to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom