What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (114 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't done it yet....but the FedEx driver just brought me some front end parts.

Front Bushings.jpg

More CO pics.
Engineer Pass is a doozy, the rig was 7,200 lbs and there were a couple sections where I Activated rear locker for insurance. 4.88’s really helped, Hugged the mountain a few times to let jheaps pass.

Zona

View attachment 2365140

HA! A couple of days after running into you, we came up Corkscrew -> Animas Forks and stopped at the same place... Denver Lake for lunch. I caught a trout... my first at almost 12000 feet.
1594317776012.png

Went for a paddle this morning with the wife and daughter at Rock Creek Lake in Suches Georgia.

C57ADF78-DC4A-4FC1-97D2-2F38CC31EF1E.jpeg

36383A60-4EFE-49FE-97A7-653C2CBB18B3.jpeg

Got my front sway bar secured thanks to a parts kit from Kurt, but found the steering link arm rubbing on the DS lower control arm and with barely any clearance on the PS. Anybody know what’s going on here? I have camber plates installed and as far as I can tell nothing is out of alignment back there.

2C009F13-6D65-43A4-B3CE-BD8360E9C1AB.jpeg

Got my front sway bar secured thanks to a parts kit from Kurt, but found the steering link arm rubbing on the DS lower control arm and with barely any clearance on the PS. Anybody know what’s going on here? I have camber plates installed and as far as I can tell nothing is out of alignment back there.

View attachment 2366685
How much lift and caster correction do you have?

View attachment 2366685

After I installed trunion bearings for +3 degrees of caster correction I ran into this issue. I would hit both control arms depending on what way the wheels were turned. Assuming nothing is bent on your rig than your caster correction has probably rotated the steering linkage enough to cause the same issue. I used an angle grinder and took a 1/4" off of my control arms. They were still plenty strong, I wrecked that rig a month ago, the frame bent but the arms stayed straight....

Was thinking of a LX470 for wife.. she wasn't into it so much lol
My wife loves hers, wouldn't drive anything else! Very comfy & roomy, incredibly smooth driving, and reliable as hell!

View attachment 2366685
As others are saying, this is a normal thing to find when adequate caster correction is present. I have a thicker than stock DOM tie rod, and stock radius arms, stock bushings and Slee caster plates. I only had to smooth about 1/8" off of the top of the radius arms.

My advice on clearancing the arms is don't go crazy - they don't need much. Also, keep everything smooth and gradual (no sharp edges or deep gouges to create stress risers.) I just used a flap wheel on an angle grinder. Hard grinder wheels or cutoff wheels will make real rough cuts, and you don't want that.

How much lift and caster correction do you have?
About 3”, OME J springs 850/863. Caster plates with yellow bushings, not sure if they’re Slee or someone else’s (much of the suspension is Slee or Tough Dog other than the springs/shocks themselves).
It does seem like there’s enough material available to clearance off the LCA if needed.

More CO pics.
Engineer Pass is a doozy, the rig was 7,200 lbs and there were a couple sections where I Activated rear locker for insurance. 4.88’s really helped, Hugged the mountain a few times to let jheaps pass.

Zona

View attachment 2365139View attachment 2365140View attachment 2365141View attachment 2365142View attachment 2365143
That's awesome! I am heading out that way in a week or so and basically doing pretty much everything you mentioned. Looking forward to it for sure.

nothing expensive here, but i need to remember to seal the dist and plug wires knowing our trip will be hitting some mud holes. A hidden rut in this puddle resulted in the fan spraying the distributor and instantly killed the engine. The cap looked dry but prying the plug wires it was all wet. A little dab and it came back. A little puddle in the intake otherwise pretty dry, disaster averted -- but that was the first thing i had to check.

I have a nice supply of dielectric grease sitting in the garage, would have been nice if i remembered to put some before the trip.
uzer3g7FT6O9lGGNp52TgA.jpeg

With all that scare, it was all worth it

jaSe2XLQTHiaU2jYP6MXPA.jpeg

nothing expensive here, but i need to remember to seal the dist and plug wires knowing our trip will be hitting some mud holes. A hidden rut in this puddle resulted in the fan spraying the distributor and instantly killed the engine. The cap looked dry but prying the plug wires it was all wet. A little dab and it came back. A little puddle in the intake otherwise pretty dry, disaster averted -- but that was the first thing i had to check.

I have a nice supply of dielectric grease sitting in the garage, would have been nice if i remembered to put some before the trip.
View attachment 2367090
With all that scare, it was all worth it

View attachment 2367094
Maybe time for a snorkel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom