What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (64 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like those wheels, a little narrower spoke and sharper edges than the SCS F5 I've been eyeballing. Since SCS makes the F5 in a 17x9, I've been planning a 315 upgrade when the tires wear out but now I must ponder the FN Wheels Five Stars.
I have in 17”. I don’t think they are available In 17” anymore.

24109A8F-256B-4D77-83F1-9115FEAFF592.jpeg
8314E819-B903-49BC-B2A5-DFDE7A23C81D.jpeg

Cleaned the front cloth manual seats I picked up last week. I plan to get tan covers long-term but they cleaned up way nicer than I would have thought with a drill rotating brush and tide/water mix. These seats feel a good 25 lbs. lighter than the electric leathers and allow me a lot (approx. 1 ft.) more buffer between the seat and sleeping platform. Not to mention they won't suffer the stripping gear issue or some electrical problem. I'm in the process of cleaning the second row now and may install that to match.

DSCF2434e.jpg

DSCF2435e.jpg

DSCF2442e.jpg

DSCF2444e.jpg

DSCF2450e.jpg

Pretty easy wasn't it?

Like the sound?
Super easy. Hardest part was drilling out the holes on the new arms so the bolt would fit. I connected existing wires to horn tabs and connected each horn ground tab to the bolt on back of each horn. Whole process took less than 30 - 40 minutes. Love the sound and very loud.

Listed the cruiser in the classifieds section, it’s been a great truck but time to move on.

72103F94-EB11-4250-B15D-B0CBC6342BE2.jpeg

It wasn't this weekend, it was a couple of weekends ago, but I got to go do this.

Listed the cruiser in the classifieds section, it’s been a great truck but time to move on.

View attachment 2358200
You live in some of the greatest wheeling territory on the planet. What are you going to use to wheel instead of an 80 series?

Thanks! Any loss of ground clearance or departure angle?
Departure angle: no, none at all.
Loss of ground clearance: I may have lost about 1/2 inch. I don't feel confident in my response, however, because I had to fabricate new brackets on the driver's side of the tank. The long range tank is designed to use the "short" portion of the existing tank straps. Mine were completely destroyed, so I had to come up with an alternative. This is a long way of saying "I'm not exactly sure how the tank sits if you use the existing straps". It tucks up nicely, and the leading edge is protected by the cross member. I'll try to grab some pics shortly.

Quick question. I want to check my wheel bearing preload I set a couple months ago. Do I need to jack it up and remove the wheel? Or can I just take off the drive flange in place?

Quick question. I want to check my wheel bearing preload I set a couple months ago. Do I need to jack it up and remove the wheel? Or can I just take off the drive flange in place?

I would jack it up and remove the wheel to actually check the preload. I don't think you want the bearing loaded while you're adjusting it, and it also seems like it would be pretty hard to get the cone washers out of the drive flange with the wheel in the way. I normally end up whacking the hub pretty hard with my brass hammer. Just my 2 cents

Those bumpers look soooo damn good! I would love to have one.... but there's nothing wrong with my stock LX bumper, and those ARBs are quite pricey. There are a lot of 80s on this forum with them, though. Is there a place to get them reasonably priced?

I got mine off of Ebay using PayPal credit. You can pay it off interest free within 6 months. It was 1200 for mine with free shipping.

You live in some of the greatest wheeling territory on the planet. What are you going to use to wheel instead of an 80 series?
Finally finished my crawler. Lockers, dual cases, 5spd conversion, supercharger, RCV shafts... it should work.

8180665B-9177-4720-94B3-4DA617276D26.jpeg

Those bumpers look soooo damn good! I would love to have one.... but there's nothing wrong with my stock LX bumper, and those ARBs are quite pricey. There are a lot of 80s on this forum with them, though. Is there a place to get them reasonably priced?

Look for local 4wd swap meets, I got mine for 500$ and a handshake and it had never been mounted

Talk to Kyle @treatyoakoffroad
He is the man for Dobinsons, and IMO they sell a better bumper than ARB

4CE84649-D782-4678-8225-32DCE07C4E70.jpeg

Finally finished my crawler. Lockers, dual cases, 5spd conversion, supercharger, RCV shafts... it should work.

View attachment 2358935
With the solid front axle and everything you have listed above, that should be a super wheeling platform! Great job!

I see the homemade hood vents yet 90% of your front grill air flow is blocked by those lights... what's the reasoning behind this?
Long response but to answer as completely as possible, this is the only way.

90 percent of the airflow isn’t blocked by the lights because of the space around and behind them. To block off 90% you would have to literally stick a sheet in front of the a/c condenser then cut out 10% off of that sheet. Not trying to be a smart a$$ just sayin’.

The grill still has 100% access to open air. The fan clutch’s condition/efficiency dictates airflow. above a certain speed, the radiator’s fins and the fan itself will block more air than some lights spaced 6” from the grill. It’s all about the fan. And then there’s the a/c condenser also blocking some air. The only way that air gets through the radiator is by the fan pulling it through.

As for the grills, they help in slow speed “hot” operation. I reasoned that the fan system pulls hot air after heat exchange, it needs an exhaust to realease that hot air. I placed them in the middle of the hood since this is where hot air will likely collect when the engine is off to help with heat soak. After 30 minutes with the engine off, I am seeing 10 degrees cooler than without the vents.

I use a Koso gauge with sending unit installed on the upper rad hose. Before the vents, in 95 deg to 100 deg ambient temps, I would run 190 deg at a dead stop off road. Now, it runs 185 deg.
I can’t say the temp drop is from cooler coolant or engine temp. Might be from hot air moving away from sending unit itself.

I wish I had the forming tools to make these but Rod Louvers made them for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom