What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve been looking for ideas for a DIY mount for that location. Best pet is I have enough hardware here to do it. Thanks!
You're welcome! I originally saw it in Boltripper's thread and then saw the Wit's End piece which is really nice looking. I already had the stuff for the the mounting panels so it was just a matter of getting all the electrical components. Since I'm forced to work remote I'm making good use of my time at home lol. Today I'm painting the interior pieces in the cargo area to see how close the paint matches.

Wrapped up my suspension upgrade and installed some new sneakers. Finished building my 4x4labs rear bumper and got it painted. Still need to get my sliders built and mounted, winches installed and dual batteries set up. The list just keeps going, but it should be trail ready soon...I hope.
32AC5692-6F78-4929-A189-D71C214BB70F.jpeg
BE22F123-173E-43C6-BD2C-A89510EAE963.jpeg
2993CC8D-5143-4F81-816C-ABAEC87C3051.jpeg
440DEF75-8641-419C-BABB-CD9BB9A50D96.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice stance. Are you using spacers with those sequoia wheels, or eau naturale?

Nice stance. Are you using spacers with those sequoia wheels, or eau naturale?
Thanks. Tundra wheels with 1.5" spidertrax spacers, from early testing it looks like the tires will tuck up inside the wheel wells nicely. Might need some minor trimming here and there.

Wrapped up my suspension upgrade and installed some new sneakers. Finished building my 4x4labs rear bumper and got it painted. Still need to get my sliders built and mounted, winches installed and dual batteries set up. The list just keeps going, but it should be trail ready soon...I hope.View attachment 2262967

that ARB looks so damn good haha have you noticed the rig being any heavier/slower with it on? I’m afraid to add any weight cause I feel like my 80 is already struggling up some hills.

that ARB looks so damn good haha have you noticed the rig being any heavier/slower with it on? I’m afraid to add any weight cause I feel like my 80 is already struggling up some hills.
No, I didnt notice any difference from the bumper, but wasnt winning any races anyway.

I have a lot of heavy gear on my rig as well as about 500 LBs of tools in a 3/4 inch plywood toolchest......it is heavy! I get up hills fairly well but I use my gears to do it. Don't be afraid to downshift into second and stay there all the way to the top of mountains. I have done it many times with no ill effects. Keep in mind that the engine in a 80 series Landcruiser engine was built to run at high rpms and is very efficient when doing so.

Last edited:
This has been a winter project. Heres my attempt at a drawer/platform system. Still some work left with the drawer front and lots of tweaking everwhere. Debating on carpet or bedliner for the floor.

View attachment 2263435

View attachment 2263436

Food for thought on the drawer system / sleeping platform....... Not sure of your intent but you could add a second drawer on the left side and then attach a fold-over sleeping platform to lay over the folded down back seats. That is what I have and I can carry a lot more tools / recovery gear / spare parts and still sleep very comfortably in my truck. I bought a futon matress at iKea. Super comfortable. By the way, those drawers look damn good.

This has been a winter project. Heres my attempt at a drawer/platform system. Still some work left with the drawer front and lots of tweaking everwhere. Debating on carpet or bedliner for the floor.

View attachment 2263435

View attachment 2263436
I think you should go with carpet. The bedliner releases fumes for a LONG time. There are a few that have lined the interior and most of those said they wouldn't do it again due to the strong odors.

I have a lot of heavy gear on my rig as well as about 500 LBs of tools in a 3/4 inch plywood toolchest......it is heavy! I get up hills fairly well but I use my gears to do it. Don't be afraid to downshift into second and stay there all the way to the top of mountains. I have done it many times with no ill effects. Keep in mind that the engine in a 80 series Landcruiser engine was built to run at high rpms and is very efficient when doing so.

thanks Tex! I’m pretty much stock as far as armor goes but I feel like with some of the steeper hills she loses power damn near the peak but she gets there! I’m on 35’s and running 4.88’s so I don’t think there’s anything in that dept. that needs to be done but I’ll make sure to throw it in second if I ever need to. Next mod should be bumper and winch so I’m looking forward to it!

Food for thought on the drawer system / sleeping platform....... Not sure of your intent but you could add a second drawer on the left side and then attach a fold-over sleeping platform to lay over the folded down back seats. That is what I have and I can carry a lot more tools / recovery gear / spare parts and still sleep very comfortably in my truck. I bought a futon matress at iKea. Super comfortable. By the way, those drawers look damn good.

The intention is definitely for a sleeping platform. I've deleted the driver side rear seat. Debating on deleting the passenger side, but that's where our old dog sits. She's pretty unsteady these days, so I need to confine her in to something while traveling. A lot of useful space is gained without those big 'ol seats.
It is my work/ camping vehicle so it was important to me to keep the setup modular. It will all come out with 8 bolts. I carry large items sometimes so I wanted to have the ability to remove everything and be able to use all the space. Another drawer is in the works but since this one seemed to take an eternity, it'll have to wait till I have more free time.

View attachment 2263435

View attachment 2263436
Perfect setup for solo, IMO. I'd still want a back seat for occasional passenger/dog. I have envisioned pretty much what you've got there but it's at the bottom of a collosal list of piorities :eek:

What front seats are those? Lexus ES?

I think you should go with carpet. The bedliner releases fumes for a LONG time. There are a few that have lined the interior and most of those said they wouldn't do it again due to the strong odors.

I disagree if you use Raptor, it does not offgas for that long. Paint it and leave it in the sun for a couple days. Great thing it takes tons of abuse and still looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom