What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (96 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wife and kids are going to be out of town for the foreseeable future. As much as it sucks I'm just trying to stay busy around the house and knock out a few punch list items on the cruiser.

First i washed it. I didn't really know much about ceramic coating but the previous owner had it done and I am a huge believer. Every wash it looks showroom new.

IMG_0723.jpg
IMG_0724.jpg

Next I installed the @Delta VS center console. Huge upgrade. I was expecting a quality product based on prior posts and price but every expectation I had was exceeded. The directions were missing a page and after a quick message I had the PDF late Friday night. Now that is some quality customer service. Makes it a much more comfortable daily driver having an arm rest! Also happy with how the black matches as the previous owner had the lower half of the interior dyed black.

IMG_0725.jpg

Finally I installed a Hopkins trailer wiring harness as the old one didn't work anymore. Simple install even for someone like myself with zero mechanical knowledge.

Waiting on ram mounts I ordered so I can install the @NLXTACY useless cubby mount. I like the one that came with the truck but looking for something more versatile and robust.

Then plan on replacing the throttle cable as there seems to be a little delay in acceleration and my mechanic seems to think it'll help. Seems like a simple enough job but well see.

This weekend I finally completed the fan clutch fluid upgrade. I have an Eaton so just drain and fill with 20k. Feels like a lot more air moving now. Non-pro tip: Use a solder torch on the back of the clutch to open up the valves and drain Warm fluid much faster:
3ABAEA46-3AF2-4368-8A01-D6E809ED6574.jpeg

Last weekend I completed my aux fuel tank project finally. More details can be found in my build thread: Builds - The Magnificent Seven: Build thread.
11EA077C-53A0-4A9B-A980-AB122B051BF6.jpeg

Amazing how much I get done when I can’t leave the house.

Last edited:
My wife and kids are going to be out of town for the foreseeable future. As much as it sucks I'm just trying to stay busy around the house and knock out a few punch list items on the cruiser.

First i washed it. I didn't really know much about ceramic coating but the previous owner had it done and I am a huge believer. Every wash it looks showroom new.

View attachment 2260483View attachment 2260484

Next I installed the @Delta VS center console. Huge upgrade. I was expecting a quality product based on prior posts and price but every expectation I had was exceeded. The directions were missing a page and after a quick message I had the PDF late Friday night. Now that is some quality customer service. Makes it a much more comfortable daily driver having an arm rest! Also happy with how the black matches as the previous owner had the lower half of the interior dyed black.

View attachment 2260488

Finally I installed a Hopkins trailer wiring harness as the old one didn't work anymore. Simple install even for someone like myself with zero mechanical knowledge.

Waiting on ram mounts I ordered so I can install the @NLXTACY useless cubby mount. I like the one that came with the truck but looking for something more versatile and robust.

Then plan on replacing the throttle cable as there seems to be a little delay in acceleration and my mechanic seems to think it'll help. Seems like a simple enough job but well see.

I thought my issue was the throttle cable as well but check the kick down cable for slack too. Kick Down Cable How-To this is the link I used to adjust mine. The LC was sluggish in the mornings and after sitting most the day it was the same way. After adjusting the kick down cable it has made a big difference.

This afternoon after watching @1BadToy do his speaker install via IG I finally knew what those damn little clips were for, the panel clips I am referring to. So I went out and fixed my front speakers maybe tomorrow I will do the rear door speakers.

Recently I added a rear drawer system to the back of the LC. Since adding it I really hadn't had a chance to situate the tools and tool bags as I wanted them. So I had some rattles from the tool, mainly the breaker bar, torque wrench, and pry bar. Got that all taken care of and now hopefully it doesn't rattle anymore.

To clean up the back I also removed the 3rd-row seat belts. I plugged the holes in the floor with the anchor bolts but now I have to figure out a way to plug the holes in the trim.

Last edited:
This afternoon after watching @1BadToy do his speaker install via IG I finally knew what those damn little clips were for, the panel clips I am referring to. So I went out and fixed my front speakers maybe tomorrow I will do the rear door speakers.

Recently I added a rear drawer system to the back of the LC. Since adding it I really hadn't had a chance to situate the tools and tool bags as I wanted them. So I had some rattles from the tool, mainly the breaker bar, torque wrench, and pry bar. Got that all taken care of and now hopefully it doesn't rattle anymore.

To clean up the back I also removed the 3rd-row seat belts. I plugged the holes in the floor with the anchor bolts but now I have to figure out a way to plug the holes in the trim.

@Outsane makes 3D printed plugs for the trim

Drove it for the first time since last October, put a smile on my face, envious dudes in Tacoma’s looked at me and drooled :rofl: .
But seriously it was awesome to drive it again now that the salt has been washed away by April showers!

LooksPersonall
Why do people delete this?

Usually either the heater core starts leaking and they don't want to replace it, or the coolant lines under the rig rust away.

Either way for some people deleting rear heat vs fixing the issue is a better option due to cost.

Why do people delete this?
Rear part of the coolant circuit is made from rubber heater hose and steel pipe. The steel pipe is fairly exposed to the road so salt can corrode it. The hose, just like any other hose, is prone to aging. Short answer: less chance of a coolant leak when you bypass it.

I put my nitro gear 4:88’s into my rig! They were delivered and I put them in the trunk! Lol. I had to take advantage of that covid sale they have going on. I hope to have them installed by the end of next week, but who knows.

6C8C3F8D-4A64-4AB2-94E1-82591718B195.jpeg

B38F92F5-E160-493E-9AE9-C9745D735174.jpeg

C9613424-B427-4C8A-A13E-7109F17A1FBD.jpeg

2F023B2C-A71F-4F75-962C-0E8F85A2AB7B.jpeg

Does anybody have a structurally sound way of reinstalling that thing much higher - maybe between the frame rails so the hitch insert is aligned with the stock bumper and actually penetrating thru the bumper face? Otherwise, it’s just hanging down reducing departure angle. Ouch.

I just drag it over everything for now. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have done what you describe on a 70-series. You could certainly do it on an 80.

Cheers

Yeah! Not looking forward to the rears as my lower shock bolts look a bit gnarly. Praying my PB blaster got in there good!
Are you running them as well?
I wanted something nicer than monotubes that were adjustable and didn't want to wait for slinky stuff.
The BP's seem really really nicely made, though aren't a true 2.5.
Looking forward to running them through some harder stuff and see how they handle it once everything is bolted up.
Apparently a lot of 80s running em, but next to no reviews or mud members that post about them.

I have installed them.

Great shock, I recommend them and Kings all the time.

Takes a bit of time to get dialed in. I was able to get a set fairly hot.

Cheers

Two projects this weekend
View attachment 2261207View attachment 2261208View attachment 2261209

3d printing face shields, so far about 25, 40 more to go today. I just designed a way to make them much cheaper and faster. View attachment 2261210View attachment 2261212
Nice job on the shields. I’m picking up a 3D printer soon. Might need some tips on setup.

For the tailgate setup, I cut sections out of the side and left the middle intact because I didn’t want to lose strength. I use the tailgate to stand on when accessing the roof. You are making me rethink that strategy. I used 1/8 ALU tread plate measured as close to the edges as possible, it is probably strong enough with out the middle section. let me know how strong it is when you are done. I might do the same.

D5D7BE67-C229-4748-8DF1-44560F83FEFF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom