What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (54 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone help me find the appropriate page in the electrical wiring manual..:bang:

15863789108648865101706737668559.jpg

Before it got super crazy I took a solo one tank trip to eastern Indiana. I started with the highest point in Indiana. Then off to the Wilbur Wright Birthplace and onto Summit Lake State Park. Sometimes life is busy so you do what you can. One tank trips are a blast and I found it easier to go home by a different route. I’m starting to run out of places to see in a 6 hour round trip. Hope everyone is staying Corona free!
683C25F0-13B6-49A4-9FCC-D6704B7EC158.jpeg
538B9D94-85E9-4030-AADB-B12A761447D2.jpeg
6EB5DD04-747B-4351-93A8-72BEE0F64DBF.jpeg
8CB6EC8D-7DAF-4010-9DEB-DE7E55A6BFE7.jpeg
C1E5E6C3-4051-45BB-A449-CF8F2D31C8CD.jpeg

Before it got super crazy I took a solo one tank trip to eastern Indiana. I started with the highest point in Indiana. Then off to the Wilbur Wright Birthplace and onto Summit Lake State Park. Sometimes life is busy so you do what you can. One tank trips are a blast and I found it easier to go home by a different route. I’m starting to run out of places to see in a 6 hour round trip. Hope everyone is staying Corona free!View attachment 2265895View attachment 2265896View attachment 2265897View attachment 2265898View attachment 2265901

Hope you brought supplemental oxygen. Do you have the right eyewear? UV is stronger at that altitude.

New to me 92. Just trying to straighten a few things up before the first big trip.

No start - Seems to be the Negative terminal. It has the cheap aftermarket cable ends. The bolts that clamp the wires on, were about 3/4" too long. the ends were on the battery itself, preventing the the cable end from going all the way down onto the post. Well, that makes for a loose connection. Cut those bolts shorter, and now it's all good. -I thought.

Windows don't work. all 4 are non-op. So, I pull the fronts apart, and beat all the regulator bits back into straightness, and added some fresh grease. I'll get new regulators before long, but right now with the corona and just about to head off on a job, no time for that. I can at least get some fresh air if I am careful. The backs have no attempt at anything, so they might be disconnected or blown fuse, but I am the only one in the truck, so no problem for now.

Brake fluid was very brown, so I did a full flush. 3D printed a pressure bleeder adapter. Something didn't quite work out on the design, so hopefully V2 will have less brake fluid spilling out of the master cylinder.

Factory stereo does not seem to work. Radio does, but CD does not. So I am out of luck for now. Pulled it, got inside to find nothing really obviously wrong. Gave a good cleaning. no change. I'll just get an aftermarket one in a bit, but I would love to avoid the childish light show that the aftermarket units love to display.

Discovered a factory alarm, that a previous owner had half ripped out. Literally, gorilla grab and yank on the wires until it quit making noise. That was the other part of the no start condition - I hope. I uninstalled it, and every thing works for now.

Front and rear main leaks need addressed, but that is not happening before the trip. The oil seems light, but I don't know what is in it right now. I'll put in something suitable, and that maybe all that is needed.

Valves sound good at the moment, so I'll hold off on that for about 1000 miles. I'll have the money and time then to address several things. Including the front axle.

Thinking about doing the de-smog before the trip, but I am also doing my best to stay out of the stores. Maybe just one trip for the belt necessary, and the oil, filter, and wipers.

New to me 92. Just trying to straighten a few things up before the first big trip.

No start - Seems to be the Negative terminal. It has the cheap aftermarket cable ends. The bolts that clamp the wires on, were about 3/4" too long. the ends were on the battery itself, preventing the the cable end from going all the way down onto the post. Well, that makes for a loose connection. Cut those bolts shorter, and now it's all good. -I thought.

Windows don't work. all 4 are non-op. So, I pull the fronts apart, and beat all the regulator bits back into straightness, and added some fresh grease. I'll get new regulators before long, but right now with the corona and just about to head off on a job, no time for that. I can at least get some fresh air if I am careful. The backs have no attempt at anything, so they might be disconnected or blown fuse, but I am the only one in the truck, so no problem for now.

Brake fluid was very brown, so I did a full flush. 3D printed a pressure bleeder adapter. Something didn't quite work out on the design, so hopefully V2 will have less brake fluid spilling out of the master cylinder.

Factory stereo does not seem to work. Radio does, but CD does not. So I am out of luck for now. Pulled it, got inside to find nothing really obviously wrong. Gave a good cleaning. no change. I'll just get an aftermarket one in a bit, but I would love to avoid the childish light show that the aftermarket units love to display.

Discovered a factory alarm, that a previous owner had half ripped out. Literally, gorilla grab and yank on the wires until it quit making noise. That was the other part of the no start condition - I hope. I uninstalled it, and every thing works for now.

Front and rear main leaks need addressed, but that is not happening before the trip. The oil seems light, but I don't know what is in it right now. I'll put in something suitable, and that maybe all that is needed.

Valves sound good at the moment, so I'll hold off on that for about 1000 miles. I'll have the money and time then to address several things. Including the front axle.

Thinking about doing the de-smog before the trip, but I am also doing my best to stay out of the stores. Maybe just one trip for the belt necessary, and the oil, filter, and wipers.
Odds are your master window switch in the driver's door is kaput.

Order one from switchdoctor.com and install. It's about $45. Mine was the same way and I fought with them unti I realized everything goes back and forth through the master. I attempted to rebuild my master 3 times before I gave up.

Remove the alarm system, start under the seat and remove by tracing and plugging connectors back to the right place (you cannot cross-plug them)

Most were spec'd for 5W-30 in USA. I run QS dino oil. Many others run much heavier oil, depending on location. I accidentally ran 10W-30 and it made it leak and burn oil drastically. I changed the oil back to 5W-30 and the problems went away. Learn what yours likes.

Do NOT run a Wix or NAPA oil filter. If you have one on there, swap it NOW. Get Toyota filters.

Get the Mil-Spec battery terminal kit from Amazon.

You have the 3FE, so it doesn't have the head gasket issues many of us do. Just keep oil in it and it'll keep going.

Good Luck!

Hope you brought supplemental oxygen. Do you have the right eyewear? UV is stronger at that altitude.
Oh yea, I even had glacier glasses wiht one of tone nose covers. Funny thing is is that it was about 15’ from where I parked!

Love it, just a cruise in the flat lands. Maybe you should make a tour of trying to hit the high point in a few states, get as many as you can.
If you look at the photo of the mailbox there is a foundation of high pointers. There are a few people who have hit every one in the states. Pretty cool.

Into the great wide open again finally! She got demoted 5 months ago when I got my new job and is no longer my DD:frown: (130 miles RT). Luckily with social distancing I got to take the old friend out into the field cause we don’t have enough work rigs (1 per vehicle). I took the opportunity to side trip into the upper watershed; rare habitat where chinook Salmon and steelhead trout actually make it all the way to the base of Mt. Lassen. Wildflowers galore and complete solitude. Exercised the winch (maintenance), ran Lo, got muddy, and made fresh tracks on trails I’d never been before.
81CF7938-118C-4736-A3F5-2DB234EC6DFB.jpeg

into the hills on blanket of yellow
24DAEBC6-E3B4-4D78-8474-0AFE7462CFBC.jpeg

Locals
6CCD7A5B-03FD-4922-8684-8974336BA1E6.jpeg

“the Shute”
F5D9D9BB-6A78-480D-B278-4396355BE888.jpeg

the rim
9C572CEA-BF8C-49AB-BD37-BCF003EEF878.jpeg

Social distancing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back