What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (84 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need some advice from members. Part out or keep putting $ into it? I have replaced a couple parts, still looking for a fender, need to drive 11 hours round trip to pick up a headliner. This is not a Joe Rogan restoration candidate, but more like a good hunting rig. Hate to see this thing go to part out but cannot make it whole without driving (gas money) around the country.
@slow95z probably has most, if not all the parts you need. Not sure his shipping costs, but likely cheaper than pickup. He is in Georgia.

@gsi18867 I think you can find what you need relatively close to you.

One place that I see local/regional parts show up is here:

There is also a place in Mobile AL that looks like they may have what you need:

Beyond those places if you can take your time the parts you need should show up somewhat close in the mud classifieds or craigslist/etc. or you may be able to use MudShip, etc.

From what I see in the pictures it would be easier and likely more profitable to just replace the fender and other damaged items in that area and then sell the whole truck vs. the hassle of parting it out.[/URL]

Last edited:
@slow95z probably has most, if not all the parts you need. Not sure his shipping costs, but likely cheaper than pickup. He is in Georgia.
depends on if he got that from the girl in FL. if so then he is on his own since he bought it out from under me :D
but seriously, i dont have a DS CE/40th fender. he is going to pay a small fortune for that. if its the truck i think it is its a part out rig for sure.

@slow95z

Sounds like you know the truck @gsi18867 has and I think he should follow your opinion if you do, given your familiarity with these things.

One tidbit I can add though is that the only differences between a CE/40th and a standard later model 80 fender that I'm aware of are the two holes for the belt molding and then the badging that's adhered to the fender. If you have an OG fender to take measurements from then drilling the belt molding holes is a minor operation in my opinion and can be done with accuracy. Same goes for installing the badging and belt molding. I would stick with later model fenders so that the flare mountings match up, though I guess you could redrill those also. I've only personally mounted the belt molding on a non CE, late model fender and it wasn't a big deal in my opinion.

It is not necessary to punch holes for the body side moulding. They serve only to locate it. Attachment is handled by the adhesive tape on the back. Simply cut the locating tabs off the back of the moulding. Been there, done that.

@slow95z

Sounds like you know the truck @gsi18867 has and I think he should follow your opinion if you do, given your familiarity with these things.

One tidbit I can add though is that the only differences between a CE/40th and a standard later model 80 fender that I'm aware of are the two holes for the belt molding and then the badging that's adhered to the fender. If you have an OG fender to take measurements from then drilling the belt molding holes is a minor operation in my opinion and can be done with accuracy. Same goes for installing the badging and belt molding. I would stick with later model fenders so that the flare mountings match up, though I guess you could redrill those also. I've only personally mounted the belt molding on a non CE, late model fender and it wasn't a big deal in my opinion.

while you are right lets step back and look at it for a second.

that truck needs, at a minimum, a fender (inner and outer), valence, headlight, bumper, core support, turn signal and corner light. thats just the quick list, we have no idea about hood, hinges or front axle. yes, i have seen them bend from hits like that. once you get just the minimum done you are then going to want to paint it. if its the truck i was told about in FL then it was running hot and she thought the headgasket was gone. why even try to fix it at that point.

depends on if he got that from the girl in FL. if so then he is on his own since he bought it out from under me :D
but seriously, i dont have a DS CE/40th fender. he is going to pay a small fortune for that. if its the truck i think it is its a part out rig for sure.
This is that truck. Don't know why you didn't leave with it. I understand if you hold it against me but I couldn't pass up a couple interior parts I needed to put mine in better condition. I pulled the interior and I'm cleaning the carpets as we speak. I went through the engine pretty well but didn't find any evidence of lower end problems. The birfields don't sound bad and the diff lock works. I haven't pulled wheels yet to look at brakes or checked diff fluids.

@cruiserdan

Too true, but what about when the judges for the concours de mud inspect! :rofl:

Original fender badges have been discontinued for almost two decades so it would fail the visual inspection right out of the chute. ;)

that truck needs, at a minimum, a fender (inner and outer), valence, headlight, bumper, core support, turn signal and corner light. thats just the quick list, we have no idea about hood, hinges or front axle. yes, i have seen them bend from hits like that. once you get just the minimum done you are then going to want to paint it. if its the truck i was told about in FL then it was running hot and she thought the headgasket was gone. why even try to fix it at that point.
She didn't have any coolant in the radiator, only water and she only had one belt on the water pump. It gets warm in NFL in the summer. Not trying to hide anything here, everything out in the open. This is not a full restoration candidate. The truck tracks true at high speed, yes, I've had it on the interstate. Hood had small corner bend. Hinges work well, I put two new struts on it and it operates well. Replaced a couple fuses and most electronics work as they should. Replacing one headlight and corner light with used.

This is that truck. Don't know why you didn't leave with it.
because i live 500 miles away and couldnt go until the weekend. it was passed to me by a mud member and she and i were talking about it. i had cash in hand but said it would be saturday. you got it on that friday i think.

She didn't have any coolant in the radiator, only water and she only had one belt on the water pump. It gets warm in NFL in the summer. Not trying to hide anything here, everything out in the open. This is not a full restoration candidate. The truck tracks true at high speed, yes, I've had it on the interstate. Hood had small corner bend. Hinges work well, I put two new struts on it and it operates well. Replaced a couple fuses and most electronics work as they should. Replacing one headlight and corner light with used.

i am only saying part it because of what i went though with my wifes rig. we fixed it, spent 5K in parts, over 500 hours. i have had it for sale for almost 6 months and now down to 7500 and no takers. about to tear it back apart, put the new stuff on my rig and part it out like i should have done from the beginning.

I don't think the inner fender and core support or paint are a must for a decent hunting rig.

Need some advice from members. Part out or keep putting $ into it? I have replaced a couple parts, still looking for a fender, need to drive 11 hours round trip to pick up a headliner. This is not a Joe Rogan restoration candidate, but more like a good hunting rig. Hate to see this thing go to part out but cannot make it whole without driving (gas money) around the country.
If it's rust free, I'd spend a bit to get the frame measured too. I have seen a few hit like that where there is no visual damage, but the rail on that side is pushed back a bit making the frame a parallelogram. If the frame is good, just get another fender, etc. Nothing special about the fender, its just the badge. Wheels are wrong for a 40th too, so I wouldn't make too big of a deal out of it. Get emblems here - Misc Vehicles they're the best replacements I've seen as OEM is NLA.

i am only saying part it because of what i went though with my wifes rig. we fixed it, spent 5K in parts, over 500 hours. i have had it for sale for almost 6 months and now down to 7500 and no takers. about to tear it back apart, put the new stuff on my rig and part it out like i should have done from the beginning.
Pretty honest and helpful crew here, so I'll post it up on mud before C List or facebook. Only paid $900 for it, and only looking to get about that out of it after the new title comes in. I'm about $1500 into it before a fender, bumper, and headliner. I'm reluctant to put a bumper on it since someone will probably want to put a winch on it. and I doubt anyone is going to pay $3000 for it even if I did. Would love to put it in the back yard and keep it. Kids first car will be my LX 450 and I'll need another one, but wife has her eye on an early 70's MB. Gotta keep her happy before stacking LC's in the yard

If it's rust free, I'd spend a bit to get the frame measured too. I have seen a few hit like that where there is no visual damage, but the rail on that side is pushed back a bit making the frame a parallelogram. If the frame is good, just get another fender, etc. Nothing special about the fender, its just the badge. Wheels are wrong for a 40th too, so I wouldn't make too big of a deal out of it. Get emblems here - Misc Vehicles they're the best replacements I've seen as OEM is NLA.
I'm aware of the wheels, thought is was hilarious when I pulled up to look at it. I sold my LX 450 wheels in CO before I moved back down south. Thought for a second they followed me here. Other than typical north Florida surface rust, I have found two holes in the passenger side floorboard that could be due to a leaking sunroof that I sealed up. There is no body rust on the quarter panels, rocker panels, or anywhere else. This appears to have originated from the interior. I can put up pics if anyone wants to see them.

So you bought it for $900, have total of $1500 into it, it has a clean title, drives fine, handles fine, and all that it needs is a few fender pieces and a bumper....and your using it as a hunting truck. I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't just keep it. Would make a great cheap trail truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom