What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (92 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you bought it for $900, have total of $1500 into it, it has a clean title, drives fine, handles fine, and all that it needs is a few fender pieces and a bumper....and your using it as a hunting truck. I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't just keep it. Would make a great cheap trail truck.
I don't hunt anymore, already have a LC I would use, and the wife wants something else she can cruise the beach in-not enough room in the driveway for a 5th car. Other than that, I'm with you.

My son and I went to re-seal the leaking Birfields last weekend and found this. Soooo, no re-sealing, we need new parts!
These arrived today. so this is what we are doing this weekend. A lot of new parts going in "while we are in there".
IMG_20200207_144034.jpg
IMG_20200207_144049.jpg

IMG_20200207_144017.jpg

So my '93 flunked her CA emissions test a week ago.

Timing was off and the EGR failed for not having any vacuum when the engine was running. When I applied vacuum to the EGR it stumbled, and when I pinched the VSV line and applied vacuum the engine died, so the EGR test showed positive.

The timing fix was easy as it was only off a couple of degrees.

The EGR vacuum modulator tested bad, so I replaced it with OEM. I started tracing the vacuum (or lack thereof) back from the modulator and found that metal tubes for the R line were completely blocked with carbon deposits.

Got them all cleaned up and ran the tests per the FSM and everything worked great!

The beginning of an axle swap for lockers my ‘93.
@richardlillard1 and @inkpot working on it. 😀

Lockers are coming off a ‘97, I will be throwing 4.88’s on this while it’s down here and fixing the power steering as well as the fan clutch.

Zona

1581159932258.jpeg

**EDIT. WHOOPS, posted in my old 80’s section accidentally. Just pretend our 100 is my ‘93 Locked 80-Series. :)

Some winter camping. 5:36 AM here and 25 degrees F. I’m on my sleeping platform in the back of the 100 nice and toasty and my buddy is up top in the RTT hopefully not too cold. I’ve got my custom window shades in every window. They’re working great.
3EA24689-5D52-4302-B918-2303E0222619.jpeg

**EDIT. WHOOPS, posted in my old 80’s section accidentally. Just pretend our 100 is my ‘93 Locked 80-Series. :)

Some winter camping. 5:36 AM here and 25 degrees F. I’m on my sleeping platform in the back of the 100 nice and toasty and my buddy is up top in the RTT hopefully not too cold. I’ve got my custom window shades in every window. They’re working great. View attachment 2205034
Whoa, easy there cowboy, we are a straight axle, 80 series, six cylinder shooters here..lol

MVIMG_20200207_120026.jpg
IMG_20200207_165225.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200204135056538_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200205_152457.jpg
IMG_20200206_144739.jpg
Surprise early birthday present from my girlfriend allowed me to add a few new stickers, a little over a 1000 miles, burned a bunch of gas, drank really good beer, had a bunch of excellent runs at smuggler's notch and generally enjoyed having my Landcruiser performing well in crappy conditions all while enjoying time with my most excellent navigator.

Used it to go get supplies. Like every good southerner at the first sight of snow I had to immediately run to the store to get bread and milk. You know just in case we couldn't make it until the snow melted tomorrow (or more likely this afternoon)!

IMG_0453.jpg

After cleaning up the PO’s auxiliary wiring I think I got everything fixed, but it reinforced the need to get a new fire extinguisher. Needed anyway but whew some of it was bad. I decided to get on the Element bandwagon from @LC4LIFE / Huddexpo.

6C586398-C6AA-4EEF-816F-39EF7BD9E146.jpeg

I finally got around to changing my thermostat on my 3fe fj80. Somebody in another thread suggested use a penetrating oil called mouse milk. That mouse milk is some bad ass stuff! I had one bolt on my thermostat housing I thought for sure it would sheer off. it didn't. I could see that the mouse milk worked its way into the threads. The threads on the bolts were super rusty. My thermostat was the cause of my heating issues the vehicle is back to normal operating temps. It was running cool and almost never heated up. The gasket that goes on top of the thermostat was gone witch was probably 99% of the problem. I suspect it was never put in with a prior thermostat replacement. I am happy I went with toyota parts!

Well, it was a great weekend for the ole 91. Since I bought her a year ago there has been an ongoing idle issue. I have recently replaced the driver seatbelt with a complete new OEM unit!! Replaced and calibrated a new TPS, drained coolant, replaced upper hose, lower hose, and thermostat. Yeah, dont get parts from NAPA... I have a 3 month old thermostat I took out because it didnt work. All parts installed are OEM with the exception of hose clamps. After the new thermostat she is warming up just like she is supposed too and idles nice and smooth at 650. I am running a 3fe, desmogged, 3" lift and 35" Wrangler MTR and she pulls nice! Still needs to get the 4:88 gears but all in good time.

View attachment 2200268

View attachment 2200269

View attachment 2200271

View attachment 2200272
Just did my thermostat in my 3fe. it warms up soo much better. the actual reason I think it was not heating up is because the gasket on top of the thermostat was missing. where did you get the hose clamps??

Just did my thermostat in my 3fe. it warms up soo much better. the actual reason I think it was not heating up is because the gasket on top of the thermostat was missing. where did you get the hose clamps??
Hose and Clamps came from 1FZ-FE Constant-Torque Radiator Hose Clamp Replacement Kit they sell a kit for the 1FZ but it works for ours as well. I would call and double check first though... I just wish someone would put together a complete under hood hose set for the 3fe... as for the missing gasket check this out... and this is why you dont get parts from NAPA...

20200201_091239.jpg

Hose and Clamps came from 1FZ-FE Constant-Torque Radiator Hose Clamp Replacement Kit they sell a kit for the 1FZ but it works for ours as well. I would call and double check first though... I just wish someone would put together a complete under hood hose set for the 3fe... as for the missing gasket check this out... and this is why you dont get parts from NAPA...

View attachment 2205642

I think wits end guys have a set maybe. 80 Series 3FE Radiator Hose Kit but yeah I try and get all toyota parts for stuff like this. I never found my thermostat gasket.. Thanks for the hose clamp link!

Took a drive in the Sierra's today.

Stopped at Sweetwater Mine, and cleaned up around the cabin.

20200208_123914.jpg

Checked out the burn scar from the Ferguson Fire.

20200208_125649.jpg

And overlooking the Merced River canyon.

20200208_135103.jpg

We could see a piece of Yosemite National Park from the summit.

20200208_134859.jpg

20200208_140120.jpg

On our way out, we helped a guy get his Hi-Lift working, and changed his tire. The rocks are unforgiving in this area. 😉 Good times!

Time to BBQ!

Last edited:
Love the background with your 80 series. That is definitely West Texas....even flatter than Dallas, as far as the eye can see! Nice looking house!
[/
Used it to go get supplies. Like every good southerner at the first sight of snow I had to immediately run to the store to get bread and milk. You know just in case we couldn't make it until the snow melted tomorrow (or more likely this afternoon)!

View attachment 2205366
blue is so nice

Finally got around to replacing the seals in the left front knuckle. It had been leaking for a bit as seen from the sludge on the steering arm.

20200208_123609.jpg

169402A1-C337-48D4-8916-6A4730E6F7DC.jpeg

Swapped out the Duratracs for Patagonia’s. These DT’s are 1 year old, driven into the High Sierra snow pumice & rocks, Mojave sand, across the country off grid Utah, Rockies, to Outer Banks beaches & back again...basically every scenario you can find. First 50% tread life is always great (my third set of DT’s), and then they are done. Extreme choppy out of balance vibrating treadwear on this set led me to try something different, like these Patagonia’s. Time will tell but the 30 miles on em so far is encouraging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom