What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (103 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been working on chasing down oil leaks and general maintenance

Same, I have what looks like a timing cover/valve cover gasket replacement in my future, and I pick mine up tomorrow or this weekend! It'll be my second 80, I've been kicking myself every day since I sold my first one.

DON'T EVER SELL IT.

Last edited:
Starting the weekend early.

OI001473-01.jpeg

OI001385-01.jpeg

OI001441-01.jpeg

OI001355-01.jpeg

OI001488-01.jpeg

I really should try and post a bit more often on here. I wanted to ditch my roof lightbar for a few reasons. Among them being; I don’t use it much, and I want to try to cut unnecessary weight. So, I thought to try some ditch lights after researching to find most people who have them, like them.

Long story short, these little but super bright Baja S1s came out recently, so I fit them in pretty good under the mirror. I’m thinking they will help with giving me a wide, low angle, good for late night campspotting and visibility around and behind the front wheels for nighttime trails. View attachment 2154793View attachment 2154795View attachment 2154794View attachment 2154792

Im in!
Super nice.
Is this one of your products?
More mounting details?

GIMME SOME!

:grinpimp:

:grinpimp:
It is also great that Bemco hand makes them here in CA not China.
I have some experience with the Coleman version of this...

:hmm:

It is also great that Bemco hand makes them here in CA not China.
great Point!
Bryan patented the design and has been manufacturing the ovens in his garage in California for the last 10 years.

Made in the USA

I have some experience with the Coleman version of this...

:hmm:
The concept is the same the difference is the Coleman version is more like your sisters Easy Bake Oven and not made in the USA:)

I went with the mud Hog M/T because its was the only tire taller then 37" and only 12.50 wide, think (pizza cutter) Takes for ever to get them torqued down right had to use my old school torque wrench because my Snap-on only go's down to 30lbs .
Took them for a spin 25 PSI no balance weight of any kind to my surprise they run true & smooth went up to 75 MPH and quitter then the Trxus that came off. My initial thought very impressedView attachment 2152623View attachment 2152624View attachment 2152625
That is very similar to my Goodyear MT/R....37 x 12.5 and very close to being a true 37..
ZcZEUbE.jpg

Finally finished painting my sliders and installed them. Now I can enjoy the trails with a little more peace of mind. First set of sliders in almost 15 years of wheeling and 6 different Toyota 4WDs. So stoked!

IMG_20191207_165628.jpg

Last edited:
That is very similar to my Goodyear MT/R....37 x 12.5 and very close to being a true 37..
ZcZEUbE.jpg
The Mud Hog looks to be a copy of the MTR. There are lots of 37x12.5 tires out there including the Trxus that came of that are a true 37x 12.50
wheel spec please

17 x 8.5 0 offset, 4.75 BS. I added 1.5" wheel spacers all around to increase my stance for rock crawling. So current BS is 3.25"

Did some light troubleshooting and small works today. I had noticed recently that my (factory) horn wasn’t working, but I still had hazards and could hear the underhood horn relay clicking with the horn button. Swapped in some Hella Supertones in case the horns themselves were the issue, but didn’t fix it. I think I need to add a ground. For reference here are two potential troubleshooting paths:
The horn is probably the most simple circuit in the truck. The 15A Haz-Horn fuse supplies constant power to both the coil side and the switched side of the horn relay. The other side of the coil in the horn relay runs to the horn switch (steering wheel centre pad/airbag). When you push the horn switch, it closes, completing the circuit by grounding the coil side. This closes the relay, supplying current to the horns, which are grounded to the body.

Troubleshooting
1: Do your turn signals/hazard lights work? If so, the fuse is good.
2: Do you hear the horn relay click when someone presses the horn switch? If so, the problem is between the switched side of the relay and the horns (see 3a). If not, the problem is between the fuse, the coil side of the relay, and the horn switch (see 3b).
3a: Disconnect the wire from the horns. Do you get 12V when the horn switch is pressed? If so, the horns are bad (rare) or they have a bad ground. Unbolt the horns, test them directly on the battery. If they work, clean up the brackets/bolts and ensure a good ground. If you don't get 12V, it's time to start tracing the wire back from the horns and looking for a break (rare).
3b: Pull the relay. Do you have 12V at two of the terminals (power supply for the coil and switched sides), ground at another when the horn switch is pressed (triggers the relay coil), and resistance on the fourth (power wire to the horns)? If one of these is bad, it's time to start tracing wires and looking for the break.

Hope that helps! :cheers:
Hey Folks,

New to the forum, just bought a '96 FJZ80, "Metallic Red Pearl", lockers, 73K miles. Truck had been sitting in a condo parking lot for quite some time (found cobwebs, wasps nests (!!) under the hood, no wasps thankfully)

I've been cleaning/detailing under the hood and my OEM horns were pretty rusted and sad looking. I took 'em apart, took the rust off the baseplate, painted it with POR-15 and Chassis Coat Black and bolted it back on with some nice ARP stainless bolts.

Decided to buy Hella Supertones after looking at sorry state of OEM horns. Meanwhile, I had to use old horns until Hellas came and could not get them to work after putting them back on. Hellas arrived and could not get them to work either.

Long story short -- it was a combination of two different issues.

1.) Relay was fine and working (heard clicking when depressing horn); fuse was not melted, but there was some oxidation on fuse contacts, barely noticable. Took it off with a copper wire brush.

2.) POR-15 (anti-rust paint) apparently is not conductive...it's like a hard polyurethane coating. Stainless bolts don't help. Duh. Baseplate is the ground for the 12v circuit, as mentioned above. Hellas each have 2 male connectors, one presumably for power and one for ground if needed; I wired me up some ground cables which I connected from horns to the baseplate.

Dedicated ground wires, plus cleaning the contacts of the fuse, gave me a screaming pair of supertones. Seriously loud! I drove around this morning looking for someone to blast them at...

Check the ground first, then the fuse. My case it was both. Driving in Brooklyn without a horn is a lesson in patience (and not very smart...)

Cheers to all who helped out, great site.

Also installed the washable Toyota air filter and cleaned out the tuna can. Is there supposed to be a foam liner to trap fine dirt? Mine came out as a mass of dirt, sand, and rust but I saw chunks of foam in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom