What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (99 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another 6 months of Warrant Of Fitness (safety inspection). Only needed a license plate bulb!
30ED8BBE-FD02-47DD-94F3-EE03571F3066.jpeg

Another 6 months of Warrant Of Fitness (safety inspection). Only needed a license plate bulb!View attachment 2081622
Every six months? That's ridiculous. Here in Utah it was once a year until recently when they changed the law. Now there are no more safety inspections. :rofl::rofl:

Been selling them for about 6 years now along with many other fabricators out there. Basically same as Toyota stockers just extended and made from good materials.

back in 2008 with drawings of my design

Every six months? That's ridiculous. Here in Utah it was once a year until recently when they changed the law. Now there are no more safety inspections. :rofl::rofl:

Yeah it's a real pain in the ass. All cars older than 2000 have to be inspected every 6 months. Post 2000 its 12 months, and to make it more confusing a new car gets 3 years after it rolls out the showroom. It's a fairly thorough inspection too.

Saving grace is that its cheap (approx $50 NZ). But they're having big issues (as there always have been) with dodgy WOFs getting issued- the regulator recently found there were about 50,000 cars on the road with WOFs issued by dodgy outfits.

To be fair NZ has crappy roads, crappy drivers and lots of crappy cars. This year 242 people have died on our roads, in a country of 4.7 million.

We've never had safety inspections that I'm aware of up here in WA/OR. It wasn't until I was out of college had I even heard there was such a thing in other states.

Did you apply for a patent?

I've never had a failure to my knowledge on a cruiser link. But the reason for the design change was that one of my military contractors that has over 26000 pieces (old and new style combined) in the field to date was breaking the bolt/head style after 2-3 months of use. I used a bolt inside DOM tube. After a metallurgy test the failure result was due to the bolt having a porous and contaminated structure (Grade 8 US domestic bolt) We changed to the fully machined CrMo shaft and GTAW vs GMAW welding and have over 500,000 ; 10" run loaded cycles on test data without failure on a unit that weighs about twice than a 80/100 cruiser. Currently 19,210 pieces out and still going strong.

Regardless of run time or condition, the links are changed every 6 months now. This is equivalent to 200K miles based on load, travel and up to a 34 degree operating angle.

Also we changed to A242 HSLA steel bush brackets vs A36 (another weak link)

Yeah it's a real pain in the ass. All cars older than 2000 have to be inspected every 6 months. Post 2000 its 12 months, and to make it more confusing a new car gets 3 years after it rolls out the showroom. It's a fairly thorough inspection too.

Saving grace is that its cheap (approx $50 NZ). But they're having big issues (as there always have been) with dodgy WOFs getting issued- the regulator recently found there were about 50,000 cars on the road with WOFs issued by dodgy outfits.

To be fair NZ has crappy roads, crappy drivers and lots of crappy cars. This year 242 people have died on our roads, in a country of 4.7 million.
They did away with safety inspections here in Utah because all the auto shops would fail cars for bogus reasons just to try and make money fixing non existent problems. It was a pretty big issue so they just got rid of them.

Here is the seat all finished off and reinstalled. One of the mounts blew apart from rust removing the seat. Cutting and welding was required to fix it. One seam starting to blow up on the original cover so I put my sewing skills to work!

0DEFE493-A63C-4F08-A4B6-77CC1F18387E.jpeg

In case you missed it earlier, I installed a new OEM stuffing in the seat bottom.

This 81 had a Momo steering wheel, not anymore. :)

1E99D835-E82B-4AFE-AB62-1A9C56963BA4.jpeg

Cheers

Got my Bowfin rack mounted up. Great rack!

51BF4D00-6E72-4D9E-9F45-9CAC581B9AEC.jpeg

Had an awesome Labor Day weekend! Ended up being a nearly last minute decision to make the trip but my son and I joined Dave Connors and J Ralls for some dirt miles. I think I did about 850 miles over the weekend by the time I got home. Explored some spots that we already knew but took a few new roads we'd never been on. Considering that we've been exploring Utah backroads for 20+ years it's awesome to still find roads we haven't been on. The great thing is that there are still TONS of roads we haven't been on yet.
20190901035226_IMG_2132 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

20190901_132055 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

20190831_185847 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4328 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4302 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4292 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4274 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4281 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4400 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
hey Adam is the first pic the main road that connects up to Kodachrome Basin in southern Utah?

Replaced PCV valve and hoses thanks to the always excellent and prompt service from Wits End and @NLXTACY!

20190912_160747.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom