What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (73 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sky Harbor rd?

The pic at the lake is on the dam. And, where we watched the fireworks is behind the Cal Fire firehouse. 🚒 One other family, and us, had the place to ourselves.

It can take hours to leave the lake, after the show. 🎆🎆🎆 So, you either get a real good spot, or stay and camp. We won't camp there on a busy weekend, just not our style. :meh:

Actually this was last weekend, but I installed some 4.88 gears for a fellow 80 owner.

Bass Lake, CA. Haven't seen the fireworks there in 20 years. It's always too crowded for me.

We watched from here...

Agreed always too crowded on the 4th. I haven’t seen the fireworks there in 22 years and even then I only watched them because I work at the marina and was waiting for the rental boats to come back.

In south Texas near the border. Saw a for sale sign in a diner for a landcruiser. Had this picture. No idea what it is but I believe that it’s a Landcruiser. Old posting, number is disconnected. Looks cool though.

C9ADC457-8478-4586-AE43-6FDB971448E1.jpeg

Repaired some minor oil seeps. Resealed the upper and lower pans along with a few other new seals.

About how much time do you think you spent on the oil pan seals?

About how much time do you think you spent on the oil pan seals?

About 8 very leisurely hours. That included a whole lot of cleaning and chasing all threaded holes. I did not need to jack the truck up or remove wheels or use jack stands like other folks have talked about. I just removed the two nuts from the motor mounts, jacked the engine up and that was more than enough room. I was in zero hurry to get the job done. If I was flat rating it in a shop, I could do it in about 2-3 hours assuming I had a lift.

So you used a jack rather than an engine hoist to raise the engine? If so, where do you place the jack?

So you used a jack rather than an engine hoist to raise the engine? If so, where do you place the jack?

Floor jack and block of wood under the harmonic balancer. I raised it enough to block each mount up about an inch or so. If you look at my picture very close you can see that I used a socket as a spacer on the driver side and a wire brush wooden handle on the passenger side (just what I grabbed handy that was about the right height). Once I had them in place I released the jack and got it out of the way so I could work under the truck easily.

I was tired of sticky rear door locks that didn’t work so I switched out both rear door lock actuators with AISIN DLT-088 and DLT-089. Both were made in Japan.
Helpful video from texasknowhow:

Last edited:
Finally got off my lazy a$$ to figure out the vibration in the front driver size axle. Found a very crunchy outer bearing, was thinking about replacing both but I realized I didn’t have the Inner hub seal! Fortunately the inner bearing felt fine.

Shockingly I finished replacing the bearing and race and leisurely replaced 2 hub stud all around 2 hours. This includes cleaning and putting away the tools. Felt like I almost knew what I was doing, weird!
5F8E7C2A-6CA6-4BE1-AABE-A60F32417D49.jpeg
B8870AC0-0464-4134-B0AC-DC75AE3FD230.jpeg
D2BE1369-4358-484D-8441-85D63A6954C0.jpeg

Edit: quick test drive and that did the trick! Butter smooth so I treated myself to a juicy in and out burger and then some Costco gas for the thirsty old girl.

Last edited:
Wrapped up almost all of the rear end upgrades I have just in time to start the engine rebuild.

- Rear BP51s
- Land Tank HD LCA
- Land Tank sway bar links & brackets
- Whiteline rear sway bar
- Delta panhard bracket

After a couple short drives I don’t think I’ll need adjustable UCA, but we’ll see with time.

]
In south Texas near the border. Saw a for sale sign in a diner for a landcruiser. Had this picture. No idea what it is but I believe that it’s a Landcruiser. Old posting, number is disconnected. Looks cool though.

View attachment 2022123

Its a Land Cruiser "troopy", just delivered a very special one to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum.

Escaped the 4th of July craziness and went camping in Mexico with my wife and dog!

20190706_055819.jpg

20190705_114109.jpg

20190705_112757.jpg

20190704_153325.jpg

20190705_104532.jpg

Last edited:
]

Its a Land Cruiser "troopy", just delivered a very special one to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum.

View attachment 2022488
Thank you. Ok. Now I want one. That looks like an awesome ride! I’m guessing they aren’t importable yet though. Every other part of the world always has the really cool cruisers.

This is Mexico??

Yes... Camping is at ~8,000 ft and a few hikes you get up to about 10,000 ft. It's a Mexican National Park. The San Diego Zoo/Safari Park releases its California Condors in the area. None spotted this trip, but last time we saw one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom