What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (120 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did and few things and found something I need to fix pronto!

Changed oil, installed a few small things from @NLXTACY or wits end, changed rear diff oil to heavier oil and checked my nuts......well that’s when things didn’t go so well.
79BD231F-DED7-4C77-8568-B70C703EAF1C.jpeg

I had a broken lower steering knuckle stud!!!! Fortunately it’s the only one and torque on the other nuts are good. Not sure how it happened or even when it happened. It just looked like material defect and snapped over time since the other 3 are still tight or meet torque spec.

904CDF64-9557-4364-9517-38AD74AFCFA9.jpeg

Any one in Sacramento or know someone that can fix it or help me fix it? I actually ordered a whole set of studs, washers and nuts from @NLXTACY. But how do you drill the other one out? I’ll bring Costco case of beer and BBQ!!!!

Last edited:
Did and few things and found something I need to fix pronto!

Installed a few small things from @NLXTACY or wits end, changed rear diff oil to heavier oil and checked my nuts......well that’s when things didn’t go so well.
View attachment 1954747

I had a broken lower steering stud!!!! Fortunately it’s the only one and torque on the other nuts are good. Not sure how it happened or even when it happened. It just looked like material defect and snapped over time since the other 3 are still tight or meet torque spec.

View attachment 1954748

Any one in Sacramento or know someone that can’t fix it or help me fix it? I actually ordered a whole set of studs, washers and nuts from @NLXTACY. But how do you drill the other one out? I’ll bring Costco case of beer and BBQ!!!!
knuckle stud?? drill it in the center nd then easy out slowly with loads of downfard force. been there

knuckle stud?? drill it in the center nd then easy out slowly with loads of downfard force. been there

Can it be done with just the wheel off? Is there a thread that showed how it is done?

Last edited:
Brosky,
I did ask for pics up front and from what I saw it was good to go. Plus I paid via PayPal though eBay (guaranteed money back protection) Unfortunately they were only pics of the most flattering sections of the axle which had been spray painted black. The owner of the auto recycler gave me a full refund and apologized for it even being sent out in that condition. He even offered to pay to have it disposed of. Stand up guy. That being said, I was fortunate with this outcome.

Brosky,
I did ask for pics up front and from what I saw it was good to go. Plus I paid via PayPal though eBay (guaranteed money back protection) Unfortunately they were only pics of the most flattering sections of the axle which had been spray painted black. The owner of the auto recycler gave me a full refund and apologized for it even being sent out in that condition. He even offered to pay to have it disposed of. Stand up guy. That being said, I was fortunate with this outcome.
Glad it worked out for you. Were you able to locate another housing for you swap

Can it be done with just the wheel off? Is there a thread that showed how it is done?

I haven't done one yet but I would say with one wheel off and some good jack stands then center punch in center of broken bolt and drill up, then use easy out....

smart money says pull it, It's not worth messing up the knuckle. Drilling upside down is hard enough, drilling upside down at a angle without hitting the threads will be a Challenge. JMHO

;)Just for clarification, it's my husband at the wheel. If I was there that day, I would have been considerate and gotten pictures of @RFB crossing first.
it wassnt lack of consideration, he was more concerned with the the feasabilty of the crossing

I wouldnt brother pull it vise it and drill it.

looks like an FJ Cruiser 17" steelie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom