What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldnt brother pull it vise it and drill it.

Ok I’m really pissed now. Drilled and the easy out was working until the tip snapped and now I have harder metal stuck in the middle! :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Guess I have to drop the steering arm? I don’t want to take apart the whole damn thing!

Edit: finally got that little B!tch out with lots of choice words and installed a new stud, I’m spent! LOL

Last edited:
Ok I’m really pissed now. Drilled and the easy out was working until the tip snapped and now I have harder metal stuck in the middle! :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Guess I have to drop the steering arm? I don’t want to take apart the whole damn thing!

Yes, drop the steering arm and you MAY be able to snag it with Vise grips. If not, you MAY be able to tap GENTLY and frequently on the side of the stud to vibrate the easy out loose. I have done this on many drilled and broken easy out f-ups. It takes patience but can work. Once the arm is removed, it may no longer catch on an edge and MAY unscrew easily. That's what mine did.

Yes, drop the steering arm and you MAY be able to snag it with Vise grips. If not, you MAY be able to tap GENTLY and frequently on the side of the stud to vibrate the easy out loose. I have done this on many drilled and broken easy out f-ups. It takes patience but can work. Once the arm is removed, it may no longer catch on an edge and MAY unscrew easily. That's what mine did.
This post is...
shooter-mcgavin-approved.jpg

DUDE!>!>! that front diff armor, where???????
Lowrange is semi-local to me (50 miles away). I could bring one to Cruise Moab if you wanted to order one and not ship (assuming you'll be in Moab May1-5). I have the Trail Gear one (same part just without the LROR tag). As was mentioned they are for a solid axle pickup, but with some modification to clear the 80 panhard they will work well. Mine is sitting on the shelf and still needing to be installed. Here's a link.

thiswas several weekends aog in AZ but this is @Rayna Ferrin crossing a very deep fast moving stream in mesa table rd. of course noone got pics of ME doing it first lol this is a 3 linked 6in lifted 37 in fzj80 View attachment 1954720View attachment 1954721

You came all the way out here to run Table Mesa Road? There are so many better options.

Next time shoot me a text, I’m always glad to show people around.

Did and few things and found something I need to fix pronto!

Changed oil, installed a few small things from @NLXTACY or wits end, changed rear diff oil to heavier oil and checked my nuts......well that’s when things didn’t go so well.
View attachment 1954747

I had a broken lower steering knuckle stud!!!! Fortunately it’s the only one and torque on the other nuts are good. Not sure how it happened or even when it happened. It just looked like material defect and snapped over time since the other 3 are still tight or meet torque spec.

View attachment 1954748

Any one in Sacramento or know someone that can fix it or help me fix it? I actually ordered a whole set of studs, washers and nuts from @NLXTACY. But how do you drill the other one out? I’ll bring Costco case of beer and BBQ!!!!

If the nut is ever run loose, the stud can break even if the other three are tight.

The first time I broke one, the other three were tight. Of course I discovered this in the middle of Utah on the second day of an 8 day trip. I should have run the three and made sure they were staying tight, but first decided to try extraction of the broken stud. That’s when I broke an easy out in the stud, which forced me to remove the knuckle when I got back home.

I’ve pulled single broken ones out of a few knuckles without removing them from the truck. Typically, if one of the nuts is always taking some torque during periodic checks, that stud is suspect and time to replace. I’ve had this issue on both knuckles by this point. It’s easy enough to R&R a single or all of the studs without removing anything.

You came all the way out here to run Table Mesa Road? There are so many better options.

Next time shoot me a text, I’m always glad to show people around.
ok, Ill be out in a few weeks.

Lowrange is semi-local to me (50 miles away). I could bring one to Cruise Moab if you wanted to order one and not ship (assuming you'll be in Moab May1-5). I have the Trail Gear one (same part just without the LROR tag). As was mentioned they are for a solid axle pickup, but with some modification to clear the 80 panhard they will work well. Mine is sitting on the shelf and still needing to be installed. Here's a link.
Ill be in Moab around 10th of may hitting expo west Ill need to have someone plasma cut it or get a PC

If the nut is ever run loose, the stud can break even if the other three are tight.

The first time I broke one, the other three were tight. Of course I discovered this in the middle of Utah on the second day of an 8 day trip. I should have run the three and made sure they were staying tight, but first decided to try extraction of the broken stud. That’s when I broke an easy out in the stud, which forced me to remove the knuckle when I got back home.

I’ve pulled single broken ones out of a few knuckles without removing them from the truck. Typically, if one of the nuts is always taking some torque during periodic checks, that stud is suspect and time to replace. I’ve had this issue on both knuckles by this point. It’s easy enough to R&R a single or all of the studs without removing anything.

Thanks for the great info, moral of the whole story is......need to check my nuts more often! :lol::hillbilly:

Thanks for the great info, moral of the whole story is......need to check my nuts more often! :lol::hillbilly:

LOL...you need one of this from @NLXTACY .. I have it as a constant reminder

So.. swapped out my Super charger pulley last night from the stock 3.25 to a 3.0 and went for a test run at lunch today.
At 70+ mph, with 6 PSI of boost and 3400 rpm, on a 7% grade my AFR's were at 11.4 and EGT's at around 1575 degrees.
The only thing holding me back was my EGT's don't like getting close to 1600 degrees, even though from what I have read 1600 is considered safe.
Keep in mind my rig weighs in at 7k.. not bad for an 4.5 I-6 !

Last edited:
Ruining my 80, chopping sheetmetal!!! Ordered one of these Huracan tailgate storage devices off ebay for 335 shipped. I see they had a group buy last year.

Putting in my reverse lights, can only reach one side of them right now until i cut out the back of my tailgate. These will be put on a switch snd tied to my reverse lights. My backup camera got rerouted to just under the spare tire, worked out great.

06D365ED-76BB-44EC-A69A-93FD27EF8C02.jpeg

04E5EED3-F332-46F8-9E5B-1C277DEEFFBA.jpeg

832F83C3-B3B4-4EAB-90D3-F1BDC9136E98.jpeg

6FD3B5A2-AE69-409A-BC74-1C6D0A5A86FD.jpeg

BEA77750-6944-4DBB-9B0A-C0D68FE9B8B4.png

[
Thanks. It came a little chipped on the spring. I was thinking about a color change on it anyway. It definitely works, though. I like it!👍
my spring chipped and peeled like a mofo If I could get it off I would blast and re powder coat it not yellow.

Well, looks like an engine rebuild is in my future. Felt a sudden surge while driving home followed by a loud clanging. Looked down at my gauges and saw the oil pressure plummeting! My buddy towed me home and started tearing it down. Pulled the drain plug off a hunch and it's filled with metal. Wasn't a spec when I resealed my oil pans 1,000miles ago.😥My brother towed it to my work where It'll be easier/cleaner to tear down and repair.🤞

Attach23956_20190413_114533.jpg

Well, looks like an engine rebuild is in my future. Felt a sudden surge while driving home followed by a loud clanging. Looked down at my gauges and saw the oil pressure plummeting! My buddy towed me home and started tearing it down. Pulled the drain plug off a hunch and it's filled with metal. Wasn't a spec when I resealed my oil pans 1,000miles ago.😥My brother towed it to my work where It'll be easier/cleaner to tear down and repair.🤞

View attachment 1955873

How many miles on the motor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom