What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (46 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rear brake job and headed for Big Bear.
Had a great time with the fam and pulled my buddy’s Rubicon a couple times as he was trying to keep up. Late in the day we found a solo driver in a Tacoma Trd stranded in our steep climb out. We turned him around and lead them to an easier way out of the mountain.
Finished it with the best Mexican food on the Mountain.

View attachment 1903055

Check this video if you have a minute

I’m surprised you didn’t break the Heep yanking on it. Did you slap the solo Taco driver and tell him to stay on the tarmac?!

I always find it funny that literally every kid likes to play the “dodge the sledder” game. Classic.

Got about 9” of snow last night. Went out to snow blow and dig out. Noticed bright yellow substance behind my pass side rear wheel. I was concerned that it was coolant leaking out the exhaust. So, I did what any sane person would do...I took a pic and then scooped it up and tasted it to see if it tasted sweet.

RULE #1: DON’T EAT YELLOW SNOW!

It wasn’t coolant...FML

Judging by the paw prints next to my tire the neighbor’s dog was letting me know he thinks my driveway is his territory.

I mounted, tweaked and fitted, then removed the @kelly saad headlight and grill assembly. I need to make a few more tweaks to the headlight mounting and then get it deburred and powder coated. I'm using the Dapper Lighting 7" Honeycomb which is the cheapest glass/metal HID compatible projector lens I could find. Plus the honeycomb pattern and size will match my final grill with the larger honeycomb pattern (it's on order with the metal shop). I'm running a 130w Hella H1 bulb in it right now but I will swap to a 35w HID kit later on. The beam cutoff is amazing but it's still just Halogen. Interestingly, I can't tell much difference between this 130w H1 bulb and the 900x HIR bulb. I setup both bare and they look about the same. The difference is in the beam pattern.

Next I installed white/amber switchback bulbs from Amazon (the black ones in the pic) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWNSKJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 into my corner markers/signals which I've adapted into turn signals. WOW, the light output is amazing. They are bright white all the time until you turn on the signal then they flash off/amber so much brighter than my sad little turn signals in the valance. They looked like they were flickering, not flashing. Those bulbs alone knocked 20 years off my truck! I'm going to replace the rear turn signal bulbs now (amber only).

I'm also going to replace the long amber turn signals in the valance with a set of clear with another set of the switchback LEDs as soon as I find a quality set of lenses.

Next I installed new red LED tail lights (the grey ones in the pic) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GYL5X7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Amazing. They now look like my old brake lights. My brake lights are crazy bright (as measured with a crazy meter). I don't have a pic of the entire truck, just bulb (driver) vs. LED (passenger).

Finally, I put the OEM headlight and grill back on. Tested the new Dapper Lighting projector headlight against the OEM and boy, what a difference the beam pattern and cutoff make. (no pics, my test wire broke before I was finished).

Here's a couple more pics from the last post including the bare bulb comparison (H1 130w on the left in the pic, HIR 900x on the right) and the grill/headlight setup in the sun with a bit more detail.

20190212_194135[1].jpg

20190212_082753[1].jpg

I’m surprised you didn’t break the Heep yanking on it. Did you slap the solo Taco driver and tell him to stay on the tarmac?!

I actually cut the Jeep part short. I dragged him way longer than needed just to mess with him. It was pretty funny.
I did have a quick talk with the taco dude when we got to the highway. He was well aware of his mistake.

I agree! My 3FE has NO issues pulling my Boston Whaler up and down the East Coast. Then again, I’m only on 33 mt’s. But I seem to pass about anything I want to......within reason! I’ll take my bulletproof 3FE any day.
Easy coast = flat, try coming out west and going from 2500 ft to 10000ft in 25 miles with a boat behind your 3fe.

Rear brake job and headed for Big Bear.
Had a great time with the fam and pulled my buddy’s Rubicon a couple times as he was trying to keep up. Late in the day we found a solo driver in a Tacoma Trd stranded on our steep climb out. We turned him around and lead them to an easier way out of the mountain.
Finished it with the best Mexican food on the Mountain.

View attachment 1903055

Check this video if you have a minute

Yikes!!! That could of been a very cold night for the taco dude!

Thought you got 80k out of them?
actually got the truck with 204 on it put tires on right away and just swapped them at 310 so it over 90K

Did you have to drop the headliner for this?
I will but haven’t yet. Had a warm afternoon so Did the rear gate first. Plan on stripping the interior for a deep clean and welding the roof holes when the weather stays a little warmer longer.

I’ll post pictures when I tackle it.

I mounted, tweaked and fitted, then removed the @kelly saad headlight and grill assembly. I need to make a few more tweaks to the headlight mounting and then get it deburred and powder coated. I'm using the Dapper Lighting 7" Honeycomb which is the cheapest glass/metal HID compatible projector lens I could find. Plus the honeycomb pattern and size will match my final grill with the larger honeycomb pattern (it's on order with the metal shop). I'm running a 130w Hella H1 bulb in it right now but I will swap to a 35w HID kit later on. The beam cutoff is amazing but it's still just Halogen. Interestingly, I can't tell much difference between this 130w H1 bulb and the 900x HIR bulb. I setup both bare and they look about the same. The difference is in the beam pattern.

Next I installed white/amber switchback bulbs from Amazon (the black ones in the pic) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWNSKJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 into my corner markers/signals which I've adapted into turn signals. WOW, the light output is amazing. They are bright white all the time until you turn on the signal then they flash off/amber so much brighter than my sad little turn signals in the valance. They looked like they were flickering, not flashing. Those bulbs alone knocked 20 years off my truck! I'm going to replace the rear turn signal bulbs now (amber only).

I'm also going to replace the long amber turn signals in the valance with a set of clear with another set of the switchback LEDs as soon as I find a quality set of lenses.

Next I installed new red LED tail lights (the grey ones in the pic) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GYL5X7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Amazing. They now look like my old brake lights. My brake lights are crazy bright (as measured with a crazy meter). I don't have a pic of the entire truck, just bulb (driver) vs. LED (passenger).

Finally, I put the OEM headlight and grill back on. Tested the new Dapper Lighting projector headlight against the OEM and boy, what a difference the beam pattern and cutoff make. (no pics, my test wire broke before I was finished).

View attachment 1903466

View attachment 1903467

View attachment 1903470

View attachment 1903471

View attachment 1903472

Keen on knowing how you adapted the front into white and amber turn signals.

@Dissent I would also like a bit more info on how you integrated the turn signals into the corner marker. I know it's been discussed before and the bulbs can simply be switched; but integration is the best solution.

I have clear (Depo) valence signal housings that I would like to use for cob LED daytime running lights; so the turn signals have to move (and are way better in the corners anyway). Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom