What did you do on your 70 series today? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

…thanks @Rigster and @Felde for your info/suggestions - just ordered the pickup - now for some “quality time” in the garage…
I did this around a year ago and found that the ff rubber tube was NOLA. I bought a long piece of fuel appropriate hose on Amazon of the right diameter and strategically cut it to echo the OEM bends. It has worked fine since!

If you do drop the tank to do the pickup (that's where mine was getting air from) a pair of ratchet straps is helpful to get it back in place since all your buddies will be "busy" the day you go to put it back. 😉

I did this around a year ago and found that the ff rubber tube was NOLA. I bought a long piece of fuel appropriate hose on Amazon of the right diameter and strategically cut it to echo the OEM bends. It has worked fine since!

If you do drop the tank to do the pickup (that's where mine was getting air from) a pair of ratchet straps is helpful to get it back in place since all your buddies will be "busy" the day you go to put it back. 😉
Here is the section of my ramblings where I drop mine... There might be something of help?
Post in thread 'OL'BETSY ZX: 1991 HZJ77' Builds - OL'BETSY ZX: 1991 HZJ77 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/olbetsy-zx-1991-hzj77.1232170/post-14923850

OCAM mirrors partially installed, going to remove the doors to drill some holes to run the wiring.
OCAM, says they won’t work for LHD I am giving them a try anyway.

5AB031F6-3A84-4D52-ACAB-C579BF314BDC.jpeg

95F54E84-504F-44DF-AD8D-9C280A389B52.jpeg

BE0A9026-727D-4522-9091-08E3E0524E9B.jpeg

A5B820B0-3733-46FB-97B5-63167D7E0694.jpeg

Egr removal to egt with egt probe and gauge.. a little tight getting the piping off being so close to firewall..

Last edited:
You will run out of adjustment on the mirrors to have perfect field of vision, ask me how I know. However, still much better coverage than the OEMs. The mirrors are absolutely massive though.
I really like the size, I have been playing with the adjustments. They seem great, especially with the camper setup.
I definitely noticed that I run out of adjustment, in my case it doesn’t seem to matter.
I might order a different pair, to see how the short model compares.

I was swapping out my spare tire, and the last section of the rod crank tool came off in the tube. Now I can't get it out. Funny but also really dumb. Anyone dealt with this before? So far I've tried a telescoping magnet and tape on the end of a rod but neither has enough grabbing force. The tube is at a downward slope which makes it even worse.

Well I solved this. Just needed to reach in above the spare tire from the back and basically do a contorted reacharound to push the rod back up the tube far enough that I could grab it with a telescoping magnet, then replaced the spare.

This is the original spare I believe, and it's absolutely trashed. It's all warped to one side and half way filled with water, wtf?!

PXL_20240405_175620872.jpg

IMG_2438.jpeg
IMG_2439.jpeg

Got the steering box back and today in between rain showers got it all back in and drove it around the block! It embarrasses me to say it’s pretty much been a year since this thing ran! But everything checked out well so far. Need to get the alignment dialed in tomorrow since I replaced all the tie rod ends also but damn it felt good to drive this again.

View attachment 3600766View attachment 3600768
Got the steering box back and today in between rain showers got it all back in and drove it around the block! It embarrasses me to say it’s pretty much been a year since this thing ran! But everything checked out well so far. Need to get the alignment dialed in tomorrow since I replaced all the tie rod ends also but damn it felt good to drive this again.
Anything special with sending it off to Red Head. Did you send a seal kit with it or other parts or just say please refresh it? Did your box have a leak or just too much play?

@Bad Mojo,
Other than mentioning it was for a RHD on the quote request on their website, nothing special was needed, the only caveat is they don’t stock any hard parts like sector shaft for anything RHD, but all typical rebuild seals and bearings are the same so no need to send any to them. My box had some pretty good play and at the end leaked to the point I couldn’t drive it. Highly recommend Red Head, they do nice work and quick turnaround for mine.

@Bad Mojo,
Other than mentioning it was for a RHD on the quote request on their website, nothing special was needed, the only caveat is they don’t stock any hard parts like sector shaft for anything RHD, but all typical rebuild seals and bearings are the same so no need to send any to them. My box had some pretty good play and at the end leaked to the point I couldn’t drive it. Highly recommend Red Head, they do nice work and quick turnaround for mine.
Good to know that is was a pretty straightforward process. I have a used steering box on the way and I suspect once it comes in I'll ship it up to Redhead because I think that box is gonna have to get swapped out before long. I won't complain about getting 29 years of service out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom