What did you do on your 70 series today? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Catching up on a few maintenance and clean up things on Righty, my BJ74.

Replaced radiator hoses and every last original coolant hose, especially those with the cotter pin clamps, the toughest being those behind the valve cover near the firewall. Why I didn't do that when the head was off a while back, I don't know...
originalhoses.jpeg

Addressed this mess with a knuckle rebuild kit from @cruiseroutfit and a ton of elbow grease. Would have been far easier if whoever was in their last hadn't used some sort of sealant everywhere...between gaskets, on cone washers, everywhere.
knuckle.jpeg

Replaced worn and aging visors with new, clean ones that thankfully were an easy bolt on (well, screw in, I guess) improvement
visors.jpeg

While on the easy bolt on improvement track, I also replaced the rear door stopper bits in hopes of one less rattle on the trail
doorcatch.jpeg

doorcatch2.jpeg

Then, for one last tweak, a new hood strut grommet. Exciting for sure.
hoodgrommet.jpeg

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I turned my glove box door into a patch panel. The previous owner had some Oakley decals stuck on there and there was still an outline of them left after I cleaned off the residue so the door wasn't in pristine shape anyways. Also if anyone can id that speaker let me know. They're terrible and I'm looking for replacements. Some kind of KenwoodsView attachment 3343651

Pretty much any shiny chrome speaker is going to be garbage. Probabaly BOSS or something.

I have Polk 402DB+ that I put in (mine didn’t have any) for when i take the doors off. They are marine certified so water resistance In my doors I have 6.5” kickers. In the rear I have a 12” sun with alpine amp.

Amazon product ASIN B01EYCTVUE
Without the sub they are going to sound thin and small. With the sun it’s good enough for cruising.

Started out the day with an oil change. Decided to quickly knock out the starter since the no start issue has been getting worse and I've had this new one sitting around for ages.
Well. That didn't go as easily as I thought it would.
20230609_112146.jpg

Turns out the new starter mounting face was clocked ever so slightly different and would not bolt up no matter what I tried. At first it was the bolt holes that weren't big enough so I bored those out a bit however it still didn't line up.
20230609_123926.jpg

I ended up relunctantly taking the 2 units apart and bolting the old face onto the new motor. Along with some of the internal gears which were different on the new one.
Bolted it back in the car and it starts well now. I was left over with one single ball bearing which I have no clue where it came from. Hopefully it doesn't shred itself.
20230609_151517.jpg

Started out the day with an oil change. Decided to quickly knock out the starter since the no start issue has been getting worse and I've had this new one sitting around for ages.
View attachment 3345128

Turns out the new starter mounting face was clocked ever so slightly different and would not bolt up no matter what I tried. At first it was the bolt holes that weren't big enough so I bored those out a bit however it still didn't line up.
View attachment 3345129

I ended up relunctantly taking the 2 units apart and bolting the old face onto the new motor. Along with some of the internal gears which were different on the new one.
Bolted it back in the car and it starts well now. I was left over with one single ball bearing which I have no clue where it came from. Hopefully it doesn't shred itself.
View attachment 3345130

Did you get an OEM unit with the incorrect PN?

Did you get an OEM unit with the incorrect PN?
Possibly. The model I ordered was definitely for a 12 volt 2H. It wasn't an OEM unit. Just some remanufactured one. Mounting face is visibly different to the pictures online.
Really if I had more time I would have just dealt with the dealer and got the correct one but I need the vehicle to start this weekend.

Possibly. The model I ordered was definitely for a 12 volt 2H. It wasn't an OEM unit. Just some remanufactured one. Mounting face is visibly different to the pictures online.
Really if I had more time I would have just dealt with the dealer and got the correct one but I need the vehicle to start this weekend.

Sorry. I forgot you have a 2H. I thought it was a 1HZ.

For those older starters, all of the small bits and pieces are available: so keep the original and rebuild it.

View attachment 3345128

View attachment 3345129

View attachment 3345130
Goes on the end of the plunger spring if my memory serves me right

R&R of the full float rear axle began today on the 77

Parking brake didnt want to let go of the rotor

Full disconnect

An hour of sweet talking and "advanced negotiations" and the rotor slid off....

Axle nuts/washers came off no drama.....the conical washers on the other hand are making the rotors resistence seem reasonable

Pblaster, brass punch, heat gun
Rinse repeat

3 hours of rinse and repeat of the above and not one of the 6 have popped.....I've decided to leave a drip pan under it and re-apply pblaster over night and see what manifests in the morning

On the bright side the LSD in the rear appears to be working.

Last edited:
Pulled the jump seats and installed a jeep seat with the 4-plus 70 series install bracket so the kiddos seats can be installed. Used all existing pick-up points.

Also put Dave's receiver hitch on in place of the Toyota pintle.

20230610_163128.jpg

20230610_163033.jpg

20230610_161630.jpg

20230610_161634.jpg

20230610_161618.jpg

So my three older kids, (3 boys 17, 15, 13) decided that their adventure this year is they want to explore the largest caving system in western Canada. So to make this happen they need to learn the skills to help them be successful.

We took the Land Cruiser to where I was training them so this counts right? 😃

This cave system almost immediately requires you to drop into a lower cavern through a hole in the floor about 80ft. To simulate this for them, I used a crane. There is a lot going on so I had one of my friends from SAR assist me.
20230610_102953[1].jpg

I taught them both to repel, but also how to free hand climb up the rope, proper technique, etc.
20230610_102631[1].jpg

Also use of belay, safety, safety, safety... etc.

20230610_105552[1].jpg

The boys had fun, and are getting more and more excited as their mom gets more and more nervous, lol. It's a mom's prerogative...
:cheers:

20230610_102953[1].jpg

Whipped up some solar shades with the sewing machine. Used reflectix and some sail material. This one is just a mock up to see how well they work and how I'd like to secure them. I'll probably order better quality insulation instead of reflectix.
20230610_164907.jpg

20230610_164937.jpg

Still tweaking fuel and timing, post pump rebuild... Somebody looks pretty content that I'll get it right eventually. 😉
View attachment 3346496
I dunno Phil, that also looks like Shimo might be 'impatiently' waiting for you to finish so she can go for another ride. But you know her best of course.

My dog, I can't even leave the back of the cruiser open or he will jump in and won't come out unless I physically remove him.

Oh, and I cannot say the word 'ride' anywhere in his hearing. IE: if I ask my kids if they need a 'ride'

🙄🤭

I dunno Phil, that also looks like Shimo might be 'impatiently' waiting for you to finish so she can go for another ride. But you know her best of course.

My dog, I can't even leave the back of the cruiser open or he will jump in and won't come out unless I physically remove him.

Oh, and I cannot say the word 'ride' anywhere in his hearing. IE: if I ask my kids if they need a 'ride'

🙄🤭

Yea, note the subtle body language.....her back is to him.....says "finish up and lets go"

Back to the 77

These conical washers on the rear full float axle are like a geological problem

Time
Pressure
Heat (heat gun)
Tapping studs with brass punch
PBlaster

Repeat over and over and over

Was actually able to go and mow the lawn during the intermissions.

Dont forget to wire wheel the base of the studs where they contact the washers and clean out the slots with a pick/jewelers flat head
Boom.jpeg
1.jpeg
3.jpeg
6.jpeg

Took 24 hours for the first one to break loose....the other 5 came off over the next 3 hours of geological persuasion.

I always have to remind myself that too much force only causes bigger problems and that the rust will eventually give to the PBlaster magic.

All of these studs will be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom