What did you do on your 70 series today? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Waiting for amayama folks to review/approve orders......first time using them.....is this a normal/lengthy process?

new rims picked up last night

rear seal/bearing kit and 1HZ valve tool should arrive tomorrow and tires ordered

Waiting for amayama folks to review/approve orders......first time using them.....is this a normal/lengthy process?

new rims picked up last night

rear seal/bearing kit and 1HZ valve tool should arrive tomorrow and tires ordered
What wheels did you end up choosing?

How much does everyone’s shifters move/wobble on the highway.

I’ve noticed what I think is too much movement so I plan or ordering a transmission mount, but not sure if the motor mounts need it as well or will really make a difference.

Took them a week last time to get back to me, most of the time for rare parts they typically come back and say, "unavailable". Don't pay until they say it's available. Shipping then took another 2 weeks.

Be patient, but be prepared to file a claim with your credit card company if they don't ship.

How much does everyone’s shifters move/wobble on the highway.

I’ve noticed what I think is too much movement so I plan or ordering a transmission mount, but not sure if the motor mounts need it as well or will really make a difference.
Highway not much...
Offroad alot, ive been thinkin the same thing for a while , motor mounts im thinkin

Finishing up this 97 HZJ73 and took it out for it’s first test drive
25C04D96-76FE-4534-B844-5CBE2298EE6B.jpeg
8CA54CAA-2493-4BB2-804E-83A70040D0E5.jpeg

I’m still not doing too much for my HZJ73 except for prepping, collecting parts and making lists.

But, today I’m in possession of a Genuine Toyota Parts box (now empty)
BBA87E34-7522-4AD2-A247-B1C547F1BAC1.jpeg

And brand new Window Runners/Channels for my FRP Top!!!!
B99FF9E8-69E3-486B-B709-0C3D73AD4990.jpeg

I now have a new list entry: Replace window runs on FRP Top
😃

I only picked this KZJ78 up a couple of weeks ago but quickly ordered some new tires because the Kenda Klevers just weren't for me. Much happier now with some Yokohama ATs. Huge improvement to the drivability of the vehicle. Much smoother braking, ride, seems to get up and go easier, steer easier, quieter, just all around much better. The Kendas were the first mud tires I've ever had and I think they'll probably be the last unless I decide to build a dedicated trail only rig at some point. On a side note Typhoon Mawar ripped off two of my wind deflectors so I'm now on the hunt for new ones, hopefully OEM but I'll take what I can get I guess.
350987010_1033674270931338_2784256850078364482_n.jpg

Digging through some old photos (from 4-5 years ago) and found shots of my 77 Series.
(The day I bought it and the day I sold it. 😩)
IMG_4468.jpeg
IMG_4467.jpeg

What motivated you to sell it?

On my new to me 77....working through the to do list from most to least urgent now that the front axle is done.

Drain and fill on MT and Diff

I always remove the fill nuts and check level before draining to get a feel for what conditions it may have been run under previously

Transfer case filled to correct level and no sounds when opened.

Transmission produced sound of change in pressure (air out or in) when I cracked the fill nut which tells me I have a breather valve issue.....otherwise the level looked good and fluids that came out look ok.

A little bit of fine material on the magnetic pickup but not an excessive amount and no chunks.

Cleaned off the pickups and filled to GL-4 yellow metal safe full synthetic.

Will probably do another drain and fill in 5-10k to see what has transpired on clean fluids and my driving.

Rear axle seals/bearings will be next weekend.....probably going to pull the first exhaust pipe off the manifold and see if a local exhaust place can repair or possibly make a stainless replacement and call it done....its got some tortured bends so it might cost me.....but a replacement from japan is likely to cost me $300 easy with shipping so......

@jayp2 ….. What motivated you to sell it?
—————————————————————————————

The short answer is “stupidity”. 😊
The long answer is a bit more involved. I had owned a 75 Series pickup prior to the 77 Series and missed the versatility of a pickup so I decided to return to a pickup.

Last year, I had installed new chrome OEM electric mirrors. Opinions may vary here but I think the chrome electric ones vibrate too much in comparison to the manual OEM black ones no matter what you do to try to remedy the situation. Again this is all OEM stuff too, not aftermarket.

I just decided to delete the chrome OEM mirrors and go with some new OEM black mirrors. I also removed the mirror control switch and installed a blank plate in the dash to make it all proper. The stuff I took off went into a box and can all easily go back on if necessary. The OEM black ones look better too IMHO and no annoying vibration.

View attachment 3337508 View attachment 3337509 View attachment 3337510 View attachment 3337511
I haven't noticed my chrome electric mirrors vibrating at all but will pay closer attention. One of my original motors failed a few months ago and I replaced them both.

WTF is wrong with PO's that remove and fail to replace exhaust hangers and let entire exhaust systems dangle and sway?

My original visors are sagging a bit and was going to order some new OEM ones but remembered I had some new grey ones in a box that are not OEM back from when I owned the FJ73. Unlike the OEM ones, these have a mirror on the drivers side with the pocket being on the other side (Must LHD spec)

The material is the same grey vinyl I see on the doors or close match.

As I took them out of the packaging and compared with my OEM ones, I would have to say they are good quality visors but still not OEM. I will leave them up there and decide if I like the grey color or not. If not, I will just order new OEM ones.

visor1.jpg
visor2.jpg

While R&R the front axle bearings, seals one of the four e-hub retaining studs stripped....s***ty acorn nuts and someone previously over torquing them.....you know the drill

Well the 90-93-ish 77 uses a different stud than pretty much every other.....not to be had in the US and its gonna be weeks if not a month to get from Japan

Time to do some scrounging....

They're M8 x 1.25 on each end and about 58mm in length

As you can see there's some room for error to accommodate a longer stud if I ditch the acorns.

After 3 hours of driving and hitting up auto stores I found something close.....was prepared to cut the head off a long bolt and call it a day

My last stop on way home scored me the last 4 M8 x 1.25 x 60mm studs in the store.....pretty much a perfect match

Why do just the one bad one when you can do all four....and replace the e-hub ring that locks to the wheel bearing tensioner while I'm at it cuz it was grooved and cruiser outfitters had replacements.

So, the right side is done for now pending the shop getting four more replacement studs.....gotta replace the e-hub ring on the left side too so why not do the studs while I'm in there......then I'm done until next year when I have cash to replace the ehubs and go with manual lockers.

If you dont already have a pair of parrot nose vice grips get a pair......indespensible when you need them

FHub5.jpeg
FHub4.jpeg
FHub3.jpeg
FHub2.jpeg
FHub1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom