What did you do on your 70 series today? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would you do an fj75 cab on an fj73 chassis? I can do an LC70, 2020 brand new cab but they come bigger than the 1990s

I'm considering working on one of my fj73s I have.

IMG_5237 Copy.jpeg
cae5c728-dba9-4a16-be87-7e5d552c8bc4.jpeg

Went to a local cars and coffee with @PabloCruise

Bj74, 3FE pig, Acura NSX, Lamborghini Countach

48502449-4742-43AD-935E-4D98FAA6164C.jpeg

5F819F45-BFDC-499A-BB5E-D1B932032D0E.jpeg

And of course some of @Gun Runner 5 childhood (no not stick and hoop)

D30C421D-4908-42FC-A5BF-9FB3F4CC91E4.jpeg

What a mix of cars lol. Saw my first Lamborghini LM002, a unbelievable 66 GT-40, Exxon Valdez I mean a couple series II rovers, 8 cobra/replicas, one with a supercharged LS3, a grand National powered one…3 stock teslas :cautious:

There was probably 400 cars there, good times.

There is alot of stress on those wheel hubs off road, especially if you have lockers. Need to be installed properly/without skimping/patching substituting. I lost one cone washer on one of mine and put it together "temporarily" without the cone washer late one night, to get it out of the garage and then forgot about the missing washer. Failure occurred off roading a couple trips later requiring a complete new hub and new locking hub.

Not sure about your 77, but to buy knockoff Aisin type manual hubs for my BJ73 to replace the always locked drive hubs was less than $75 for the pair on Ebay.

I've never found replacing wheel studs to be that painfully difficult or expensive, (air chisel and ball peen out and get started and then pull home with impact gun) but if you have to replace them all then that is a bit of work. It's a decent excuse to justify buying some different rims if you want them...............If you got your LC from the importer/reseller then they did whatever they needed to sell the vehicle. Based on your emperical research/testing 5 threads is sufficient for awhile anyway. Its sort of like when people drive around for years missing a lug not or having a broken lug on their truck "because they still have 4 or 5 good lug nuts to hold the wheel on".....The LC is quite overbuilt compared to most other consumer 4wd.

Yep, I'm not gonna be that guy that experiences a catastrophic failure because I band aided something together temporarily.

Replacement of the e-hubs on the 77 is a bit more expensive as I understand it, two ways to go, the adapter kit/spacer with manual hubs OR replace wheel hub and a few more bits and aisin manual hubs.....I'm inclined to do the latter when I get there....this wheel/insuffient lug thread issue is pissing me off to be honest.

cleanup and prep on parts is pretty much done......the crust on the left side knuckle was godzilla strenth and required multiple applications of chemical and mechanical means to dissolve/scrape it off and reveal the proper contours of the knuckle but its re-painted and reassembly will begin tomorrow....I think I went through 4 rolls of paper towels on this side so far........
LKnuckle.jpeg
.in the meantime the tool user requires application of adequate amounts of hops and barley based products.

Went to a local cars and coffee with @PabloCruise

Bj74, 3FE pig, Acura NSX, Lamborghini Countach

View attachment 3334432
View attachment 3334431

And of course some of @Gun Runner 5 childhood (no not stick and hoop)

View attachment 3334433

What a mix of cars lol. Saw my first Lamborghini LM002, a unbelievable 66 GT-40, Exxon Valdez I mean a couple series II rovers, 8 cobra/replicas, one with a supercharged LS3, a grand National powered one…3 stock teslas :cautious:

There was probably 400 cars there, good times.
If you had hung around long enough you probably would have seen the tow truck show up to take it back home. 😁

Yep, I'm not gonna be that guy that experiences a catastrophic failure because I band aided something together temporarily.

Replacement of the e-hubs on the 77 is a bit more expensive as I understand it, two ways to go, the adapter kit/spacer with manual hubs OR replace wheel hub and a few more bits and aisin manual hubs.....I'm inclined to do the latter when I get there....this wheel/insuffient lug thread issue is pissing me off to be honest.

cleanup and prep on parts is pretty much done......the crust on the left side knuckle was godzilla strenth and required multiple applications of chemical and mechanical means to dissolve/scrape it off and reveal the proper contours of the knuckle but its re-painted and reassembly will begin tomorrow....I think I went through 4 rolls of paper towels on this side so far........View attachment 3334519.in the meantime the tool user requires application of adequate amounts of hops and barley based products.
A wire wheel is your friend

I am trying to make a sun visor card that is specific to my HZJ77 since the current one is in Japanese and probably doesn't really apply since it was originally power hub equipped. (Was converted to free wheel hub).

Between the various english version examples I see online and poor google translation of mine...here is what I came up with. I will probably end up revising it a bit more. I will also make a magnetic version to put on the glove box door as well. I don't really see a reproduction online I like so far or I would just buy one.

tcase label (original).jpg
tcase label v1.JPG

Yesterday I started to search for the cause of soft brake pedal action.
Adjusted drum brakes and inspected joints.
Nothing looked wet.
If there is enough slack, I'll look between booster and master next.

cleanup and prep on parts is pretty much done......the crust on the left side knuckle was godzilla strenth and required multiple applications of chemical and mechanical means to dissolve/scrape it off and reveal the proper contours of the knuckle but its re-painted and reassembly will begin tomorrow....I think I went through 4 rolls of paper towels on this side so far........View attachment 3334519.in the meantime the tool user requires application of adequate amounts of hops and barley based products.

You should have upgraded to the 90126-12010 knuckle studs. Would have been the ideal time to do so.

You should have upgraded to the 90126-12010 knuckle studs. Would have been the ideal time to do so.

Adding p/n to my master list....this wont be the last time I am going to be in there.

Once I get an adapter made for the trail tailor shim tool I'll do the knuckes on out again and eliminate the electric hubs....but thats hopefully a job for next summer.

The front axle had to be done

I need to address the wheel issue so its safe then based on condition of front axle I'm just going to order a rebuld kit for the read full float and do it for peace of mind.

Thats on top of all fluids and beginning to work my way through all of the hoses/etc in the engine compartment.....

1HZ valve tool is on order

Suspension order is in the works....you can see that the bushings are pretty much non existent on the shackle ends

But there's no rust on this vehicle which is a pleasure.

Havent even driven the 77 a mile yet.

OGBeno, I hate to even ask but if I were to go the route of searching for longer wheel studs for front and back (I need another 3/4 of inch) would you have any p/n wisdom you could send my way or wisdom for/against?

I am about to embark on a knuckle and brake rebuild on my FJ75. My truck has the standard drive flanges on the front axle, and it's definitely making me think this would be the right time to switch to manual hubs. I'm wondering if the effect on MPG meaningful enough, or other benefits strong enough, to make it worth it? Is this something others have done and parts are available to do?

The tint on my HZJ77 was going bad in some places so it was time to redo the tint. I had all the windows (except windshield) done in 40% bronze which is a new tint for me. I could only find ONE shop in San Antonio that would even order this tint for me and I called many of them. They took extra care not to damage the defroster lines in the rear glass so I appreciate that a lot.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I actually do like it a lot now that I have driven around a bit some. The tint color tends to vary depending if you are in sunlight, shade or angle you look at it from. Also it looks clear from the inside which I like very much.

bronze tint7.jpg
bronze tint8.jpg

bronze tint6.jpg

E98F35D3-E306-40B4-BC14-6AEA3EFD76F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Front axle is done (except for 1 of 4 hub studs to be ordered) and she's on 4 wheels.

Its fitting that they call the moly grease used for the knuckle/birf "Number 2" grease....

These electric hubs are not to be trusted.....just cuz the green light on the dash comes on doesnt mean you have enguagement on both wheels

Leaned/tested this the hard way....green lite on dash but the hub was still free wheeling.....no front drive shaft rotation.....had to pull the hub and "re-adjust" the contacts

The electric hubs dont seem to be very well documented (that I've been able to find) and there's a learning curve that folks should beware of.....the most important tool when servicing electric hubs is a wee thin paper clip to secure the brushes back before reintall/cleaning/lube etc or you stand a good chance of damaging them.

5 gallon bucket is perfect for birf prep/storage.....be sure to lean the right hand birf against something because it doesnt stand as nicely as the left.

Phone calls tomorrow for parts and wheels.....
Paperclip1.jpeg
Paperclip2.jpeg
Paperclip3.jpeg
Birf1.jpeg
Birf2.jpeg

Added a 4th gauge for a pyrometer
70.jpg

Pentecost weekend. Time for another trip.
Went to Sauerland (hilly back country) and visited Eslohe Dampf-Land-Leute (Steam, Countryside, People) Museum.
Beside some vehicles and a documentary of local history and life, they host the biggest collection of working steam engines in Germany. And they had them fired up this weekend.😃
The Cruiser is not literally a steam engine, but got free admittance to the museum. (Probably due to its amount of blowby).
Some pics; Vehicles first.. to at least stay a bit with the forum's subject (kind of)
Cheers Ralf

20230527_105043.jpg

20230527_121105.jpg

20230527_154121.jpg

20230527_154136.jpg

20230528_145248.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom