What did you do on your 70 series today? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That bumper is taking the spot light

You should get one for your ride. Kaymar makes a pretty solid bumper. This bumper will be going back on once I get all the other stuff like these flares sorted out.

I spent the last couple days prepping and painting the replacement flare for my HZJ77. Thanks to @joekatana for the tip on where to get 045 white paint that would match up the best. They put it in a spray can for me and the extra went into another can.

It was quite a bit of prep work to primer and wet sand the flare (for a first timer) before painting the 045 white paint. It came out pretty good but I think I am going to wet sand it some more and give it some more white paint. Thank god for youtube videos.

View attachment 3017619 View attachment 3017622

Primer coat & wet sand
View attachment 3017620

First coat of 045 paint. Original, damaged flare in front for comparison.

View attachment 3017621
Omni used to be PPG paints inexpensive brand. I painted a truck once with their two stage urethane. Outstanding paint!

Spent some time online searching for a windshield frame for my bj-73 with little luck. I found a post on the forum from some years back where someone had brought some in and sold them for $500 a piece, but haven't seen anything near that price on the internet.

A couple previous owners before me dolled my truck up to sell it. Plain old Bondo over rust out. Windshield frame was absolutely rotten and they tried to repair it instead of getting a new one. I was hoping to get another 2 years out of it but I don't think it'll last. The hold down on the left inside where you turn the knob has rusted out on the windshield frame. It now bounces up and down about a quarter inch going down the road on the left side. The roof the right side and a piece of sheet metal riveted between the frame and the body holds it together. I'm starting to see a gap form between my windshield seal and the frame.

Maybe I can tear this thing apart do the cutting , welding in of new sheet metal, rust treatment, and initial polyester fill myself and find a local country body man you can do the final level smooth out and prime.

In the pic you can see for previous owner repair placed a piece of sheet metal to attach the body to the windshield I think those round bumps are stove bolts or rivets when the body filler cracked out of the seam I tried to seal it up with rtv. You can see underneath the windshield seal where it started to pull away due to movement.

IMG_20220518_200327.jpg

The cowl is probably rotten as well. :hmm:

Omni used to be PPG paints inexpensive brand. I painted a truck once with their two stage urethane. Outstanding paint!
It is nice paint for a beginner like myself. I am not going to go out and paint a whole car but I do feel more comfortable painting small parts after this flare.

The cowl is probably rotten as well. :hmm:
I don't like tearing out mostly good bodywork until it is really necessary. I'm afraid of the mess I may find underneath. Unfortunately I'm going to have to dig into this sooner than later. Normal Bondo type filler has talc in it which can hold moisture. Bondo on bare metal or rust will not last, but it is still done by many.

I finished up my turbo delete mod :oops:. Would rather just have longevity vs. performance i guess. 'bout the only thing i'll really miss was the increased mileage.

Need to start replacing some of the broken interior bits before they become NLA

Drove it!!!!

97648325-2AEB-4BC1-9D3C-745810C5A615.jpeg

Diode Dynamics 18” amber light bar tucks very nicely into an ARB brushbar. 😊
D20BD338-2E39-4F6B-8FE3-931E23DDBF80.jpeg

Last edited:
Perhaps an act of blasphemy but I installed Honda washer nozzles onto my 70 this after noon. The stock hood holes have to be opened up into slightly longer and wider ovals, but the new spray pattern is way nicer and more modern than the two-stream deal. plus the new nozzles can be adjusted for height to get them right at the perfect spot on the windshield
87FFBED1-B77C-4307-85D0-DED97E457215.jpg

62B5E9B7-4A0D-4090-B509-9916340AF65B.jpg

Got the idea from an Instagram post. Apparently this is a pop in and go mod on a 1st gen tacoma, no modifying the hood holes.

Perhaps an act of blasphemy but I installed Honda washer nozzles onto my 70 this after noon. The stock hood holes have to be opened up into slightly longer and wider ovals, but the new spray pattern is way nicer and more modern than the two-stream deal. plus the new nozzles can be adjusted for height to get them right at the perfect spot on the windshield
View attachment 3020255
View attachment 3020256

Got the idea from an Instagram post. Apparently this is a pop in and go mod on a 1st gen tacoma, no modifying the hood holes.
For the Toyota OEM purist Witsend sells an upgrade kit for the 80 series and they're a straight drop in for the 70 series. I believe they're Rav4 3 jet nozzles. I really like mine. I did need to reroute some hose but had to replace it anyways.

Took a short drive on Saturday.

This was at 1149:
IMG_20220528_114857826_HDR.jpg

And this was 1549, about 100 ft. down the track from the first shot...
IMG_20220528_151409214_HDR.jpg

Really need to get that 'new' winch I recently acquired rebuilt and installed.

Wife and friends had a good time, we all got a great workout, high-lift jack, two shovels and lots of juniper tree-trimmings ((natures Maxtrax, credit goes to my wife for that brilliant idea).

I didn't get any photos of the worst point, but at one time we were on the diffs, front and rear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom