What did you do on your 70 series today? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put a pair of Quick Fist clamps on the roof rack for the clearing saw. With my van I can’t get to all the forest plots but now I can go with my Cruiser.

IMG_20200920_200656.jpg

IMG_20200920_201334.jpg

With that data, will you now try again with a square heat exchanger?
Don't know yet. I'm going to drive it a bit and see how it does. The intercooler only has a 6" long core at 4" diameter. A 4" round hole has an area of aprox. 12.5 in. sq. In comparison 4" square would be 16 and a 5" square would be 25. 5 square would have double the flow.

I could try clocking the turbo straight up and buy another 90 silicone boot and get a 5" X 14" square intercooler. Straight up into a 90 straight into the intercooler. Without my goofy DIY exhaust tube 45 making turbulence and the smallish intercooler restricting and a longer core cooling better. I think that would be better. This intercooler was only $80 on ebay. I may tray again and put the 6" intercooler up for sale.

There's also a number of different ways I could mount the heat exchanger. As big as it is I could probably mount it flat on th e front bottom of the roof rack and still get plenty of airflow and it wouldn't look so obtrusive.
Anyone recognize this switch (it’s function)?View attachment 2440933
Looks like a tire pressure reset button. Press to set baseline for the tire pressure monitor/alarm.

Anyone recognize this switch (it’s function)?View attachment 2440933

Hello,

It is a tire pressure control switch for newer 70 Series, 2018 onwards I presume. I saw it on a 2019 GRJ71.

It is located in the lower right dash, close to the differential lock switch. A light in the instrument panel reminds you about tire pressure.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hello,

It is a tire pressure control switch for newer 70 Series, 2018 onwards I presume. I saw it on a 2019 GRJ71.

It is located in the lower right dash, close to the differential lock switch. A light in the instrument panel reminds you about tire pressure.

Hope this helps.

Juan
All I need now is a new 70 Series to go with the switch. :lol:

Did a Sunday afternoon trip to Uwharrie again. LC performed well on the highway with the intercooler. 70mph on mostly level ground EGT's were 575-620 C and engine temp. was lower than before. I could maintain 70 on long gradual inclines without going over my 720C EGT alarm setting. 50-60mph on rolling hills there was plenty of power to maintain speed in 4th or 5th gear without EGT's going over 700C.

On the trail LC did excellent as normal. Someone had stacked some rocks to give a little boost on the 1st rock ledge on Daniel trail 390. I got enough boost on the rocks to get my bumper over the rock without getting hung up. The skinny 32" extra grips aired down to 15psi bit in and climbed over without all the spinning and bouncing that I see jeeps on 33 or 35 X12.50's do on this same obstacle. If you look at the left front tire on the "poser rock" pic. you can see how the skinny tires deform to claw onto the rock when you put pressure on them.

Took a picture on the "poser rock". Suspension is old man emu medium 2.5" lift springs with sway bar disconnected off road. Shocks limit droop 2-3" of what the springs will droop without them.

Slipped a little in a rut and dinged my front quarter panel and door a bit. Probably just paint the scar so it doesn't rust. Other than that it was a good day.

daniel view2.jpg

TLC daniel hill.jpg

poser rock side.jpg

Last edited:
The skinny 32" extra grips aired down to 15psi bit in and climbed over without all the spinning and bouncing that I see jeeps on 33 or 35 X12.50's do on this same obstacle. If you look at the left front tire on the "poser rock" pic. you can see how the skinny tires deform to claw onto the rock when you put pressure on them.

Most people don't understand the physics behind tire contact surface area. For any given tire pressure and vehicle weight the surface area (square inches) of surface area is fixed. The wider the tire the shorter the contact patch as the area is more or less constant. So skinnier tires have longer contact patches; period.

A few do-dads for the Ute.

I have new chains.......which I haven't installed yet but where did you get the fire extinguisher? I have the cutouts for the passenger footwell but see that the OEM is NLA.....at least for a 75. I just have a generic one in a box behind the seat....bouncing around.

We bikepacked the CDT from Cumbres Pass to el Rito this weekend. Got my lady to drop us off at the trail head after camping close by the night before. She had never driven the Troopy before, so I gave her the run down. Five minutes after dropping us off a deer blindsided her, destroying my side view mirror, the OZ-made weathershield, and putting a massive dent in the door and upper fender. The bush bars took some of the blow thankfully and she was scared but ok. She pulled over the deer was standing in the road looking at her for a few seconds before taking off up the escarpment. Time to try to pull the dents...

cdt-1.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

Untitled-2.jpg

I have new chains.......which I haven't installed yet but where did you get the fire extinguisher? I have the cutouts for the passenger footwell but see that the OEM is NLA.....at least for a 75. I just have a generic one in a box behind the seat....bouncing around.
P.M. sent

Most people don't understand the physics behind tire contact surface area. For any given tire pressure and vehicle weight the surface area (square inches) of surface area is fixed. The wider the tire the shorter the contact patch as the area is more or less constant. So skinnier tires have longer contact patches; period.
That's the interesting way of analyzing it that I didn't think of. Using that knowledge I would say that a skinnier tire aired down would be better almost anytime where you have a firm surface with less than 6 inches of loose/mud surface to grip to. A wide tire better for digging/paddling through a loose surface with no firm surface within easy reach of the tread.

I made the decision watching a bunch of videos of vintage Jeeps on old School tires at Moab, (ndt, super traction, etc.). I even did a little math. Tire width x diameter x 4 / weight of jeep......put in the weight of the Land cruiser which is obviously heavy and work the formula backwards to try to figure out what tire size had equal amount of weight for tire size footprint. Of course that doesn't take into account tire deformation due to low inflation.

I know the old NDT tires are not good on wet payment or ice/snow, but they are unusual as they have round instead of a flat tread profile. I'd be willing to bet a set of 9-16 ndts would be better on the rocks than a lot of your 35-36" mud tires that are so popular

A few do-dads for the Ute.

All this diesel 70 series stuff might be turning you a bit ozzy. It’s good to see you using the term “Ute” instead of truck. We can work on do-dads.:)

All this diesel 70 series stuff might be turning you a bit ozzy. It’s good to see you using the term “Ute” instead of truck. We can work on do-dads.:)
If there is an Aussie word for do-dad I’ll be glad to use it. It’s always a struggle combining Aussie with Southern U.S. redneck. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom