What did you do on your 70 series today? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got my Partsouq order in. Most excited about the door hinges! Well... the hub bolts as well, I sheared one off breaking torque on the rear wheels.

Some how, I ordered the wrong bulbs, the pins aren't offset. 🤔???

20200721_161338.jpg

20200721_162336.jpg

I replaced these today....

IMG_8308.jpg

Also replaced some sketchy bolts that were holding the rear seat mounts with OEM ones. PPO had sheared off a bolt... in attempting to punch a center hole to drill out and retap, I accidentally hammered off the captive bolt under the chassis. Not to worry just threw an appropriate bolt and washer/lock washer under there.

@cruiseroutfit stocks lots of 70 Series stuff including front ARB bumpers. I have had great service and support from them and can't recommend them enough. They also stock Come Up winches in 12V and 24V.

Oh, I've spent so much money with them over the years. Great folks!

Last week, I noticed the clutch slipping when accelerating in 4th gear. I had the clutch pack ready on the shelf so now at the beginning of the summer vacation it was a good time to replace the clutch.

IMG_20200722_141546.jpg

IMG_20200722_170029.jpg

IMG_20200722_171658.jpg

IMG_20200722_175518.jpg

I made a simple support for the jack to move the transmission and it worked fine. The clutch pedal is now much lighter to use and catches lower. So much better to drive now.

Spent the afternoon doing one of these:

IMG_5729.jpg

Trying to run down multiple issues behind the dash.

1. Heating/cooling switch was stuck on cool.
  2. Stereo wiring is trash. The stereo worked and then one day driving it just stopped. :bang: Will be rewiring the whole kit but looking for a good 24v-12v stepdown converter.
  3. Put everything back together and the right side of the gauge cluster stopped working. Like, no signal but plugged in. Everything on the left side plug (tach, signals, brights indicator, parking brake indicator) works. I'm so confused. Back of the gauge cluster shows no damage. It literally worked and then I took it out put it in and it didn't. 15A Engine fuse wasn't blown. Please help if you have any ideas.
For issue #1, I followed the actuator cable back to the heating core opener thing, and it seemed a bit bent. I straightened it out and was able to open the hot/cold mixture to about halfway. Looking at the cable, it was bottomed out on the cable housing so it couldn't go any further. Pics below:

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

Fooled around some more with a storage basket rack that will be on the left side rear bumper swing-out.
Drilled holes and cut in a wiring access port and strain relief for the electrics that will serve the illuminated rear license plate.
Ran a steel cable to make sure the path was clear.

1595534707241.png

1595534730816.png

1595534758023.png

Some time ago @umpqua made a post about a nice set of sun shades he had received from Topgear2go in Australia. He spoke highly of them and I placed an order for a full set of sun shades, magnetic bug screens for all opening windows, and a 3 piece bug curtain for the back. Doug at topgear2go.com.au was a pleasure to work with and I'm really liking the sun shades. They are held in place with magnets and are very quick to install or remove. Thanks Rodney for pointing me in that direction. You might also see the nice One Stone armrests brought in by @divemedic- Thanks Nic, they are pretty sweet too.

sunshades 01.jpg

sunshades 02.jpg

sunshades 03.jpg

sunshades 04.jpg

sunshades 05.jpg

Some time ago @umpqua made a post about a nice set of sun shades he had received from Topgear2go in Australia. He spoke highly of them and I placed an order for a full set of sun shades, magnetic bug screens for all opening windows, and a 3 piece bug curtain for the back. Doug at topgear2go.com.au was a pleasure to work with and I'm really liking the sun shades. They are held in place with magnets and are very quick to install or remove. Thanks Rodney for pointing me in that direction. You might also see the nice One Stone armrests brought in by @divemedic- Thanks Nic, they are pretty sweet too.

When I was looking around for sunshades for my 77, I looked at their website but they didn't seem to offer anything for the 76 which is the same glass-wise.

Maybe because there is no way for magnets to work on the rear quarter glass sections, (no exposed metal). He seems to make killer sunshades though, love the way they look on your troopy.

View attachment 2384490

View attachment 2384498

View attachment 2384499

View attachment 2384500

View attachment 2384503
When I was looking around for sunshades for my 77, I looked at their website but they didn't seem to offer anything for the 76 which is the same glass-wise.

Maybe because there is no way for magnets to work on the rear quarter glass sections, (no exposed metal). He seems to make killer sunshades though, love the way they look on your troopy.
Top gear does make a nice product and Doug is super easy to work with. Glad you like them!

Probably will resurrect my #1 build thread as we take the truck into a new phase of it's life
20200727_174307.jpg

The time came early for me this year :frown:

Top back on.
IMG_8281.jpg

Getting ready to move back to Colorado so time is running short for anything outside of packing and getting ready. We've started getting rain almost every evening recently so just a bit early this year. Someday I'll get a soft-top. That would really help with the shoulder months of summer. I could have pulled the top in May this year due to complete lack of rain.

I ordered all new seals I could find for the FRP top on Partsouq. Hopefully I got them all. Going to refresh all seals, bolts, and the window frames powdered - before the rain starts again.

73 FRP Top Question - I have a fiberglass windshield frame, and the surface where the top meets the frame, where the 4 bolts are, creaks as the two surfaces rub ever so slightly when I hit bumps, etc.. I’m afraid to torque the bolts too much as they feel like they’ll strip. Anyone else have this problem and solved it? Figured while I have it off I’ll figure this one out. Maybe I’m being a bit too cautious with the torque?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom