What did you do on your 70 series today? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the look of my new rear springs so much I ordered new front springs from Cruiser Outfitters.
I always talk to Bryce when I call the shop and he is very helpful.
Bryce is very good at politely determining if I know what I am talking about or not.
He makes sure I get what I need, not what I think I need.

Glad to hear. I'll pass along your kind words!

Some progress, rust repairs have been done all, now I am preparing parts for filler layer spraying. Now, however, first the coating of the wheel housings with a Raptor liner. Wheel arches, lower edges of doors, etc. are to be coated with a tinted version.

IMG_20200414_203003.jpg

I like the look of my new rear springs so much I ordered new front springs from Cruiser Outfitters.
I always talk to Bryce when I call the shop and he is very helpful.
Bryce is very good at politely determining if I know what I am talking about or not.
He makes sure I get what I need, not what I think I need.

very well said.....

Some additional views to show trim and back
bracing. View attachment 2271511View attachment 2271512
That is a very nice looking clean and simple way to make a bumper. As you say also really nice and low-profile too... If I had seen this before I was so far along I might have gone off on a different direction with mine. I'm almost done with mine intend to finish today. More pics later.

DIY du jour, réalisation d'une plaque pour fixer les relais et porte fusible pour projecteurs de travail et longue portée

20200416_182000.jpg

installé sur le BJ73
20200416_182545.jpg

c'est tout pour aujourd'hui, la faute au confinement, je ne peux pas récupérer le reste du matériel pour finir

Last edited:
Painted and got my new buffer mounted up today
Bumper taking shape. The bj73 is from Spain so it has those goofy blacked out lights on the back corners. Tail lights brake lights and turn signals were mounted in the bumper. I was going to mount the factory lights as is inside the new bumper, but they are too deep to fit. I'll do some surgery on the lights use only the original lens and lamp sockets and configure them into the bumper. I intend to have Jack mounts fuel can mounts etc.. covering up the original blacked out lamps on the corners.

One of these days I'll buy another plug in the wall welder. I'm using a ready welder spool gun with fluxcore wire run off 24v battery bank. Welds are not as pretty as I would like. I am however quite happy with the new $165 eBay plasma cutter.

View attachment 2269518

View attachment 2269519
Got to finish rear bumper painted with bedliner spray and mounted up today. it came out pretty well but somehow the ends Drew in while welding and The Rock sliders for the rear fenders now contact the body. Don't really care too much about the paint but I hope it doesn't vibrate. I may try to spread it apart with a hydraulic jack later.
I have a conundrum with the tail lights. Original lights from the bumper were too old and crusty to incorporate. I bought some new LED trailer lights it look nice. hook them up to 24 volts and ran for 3 hours straight to make sure they wouldn't overheat and they did fine. Evidently I require some sort of resistor in the line for the turn signal line for the flash relay to work properly with the LED as well as some diodes on the wires so break and turn on left and right don't backfeed each other. Somehow the lights I used get tail light turn signal and brake light out of only two wires where is the cruiser wiring harness has 3 wires for these functions.??????
Hopefully I can get one of those resistors at the parts store tomorrow.
IMG_20200416_204240.jpg

IMG_20200416_204256.jpg

I have used diodes like this to prevent back feed.

With the death of Radio Shack, I get bulk resistors and such from DigiKey online.
If the parts store doesn't have what I need I'll be looking around for some junk electronic item to harvest the parts from. I'll probably just by a trailer wiring pigtail kit as I need one anyway.

I baked/cured brake drums and their high temp paint in the school's kiln.
1587124427482.png

Cleaning up the rear hubs I found the threaded holes were packed with silicone.
Those should be cleared out right (to aid in some future disassembly)?
1587124538944.png

I needed to wire in a 4 flat trailer wiring pigtail into the BJ73. They sell a "converter box" at the parts store in the trailer section that converts a 4 wire vehicle(L trn, R trn, Brake, Tail) to a standard 3 wire+ground 4 flat trailer plug(L trn, R trn, Brake). It was ready made for $15. Got everything wired up with load resistors added in for the turn signals, but unfortunately I burned up my flasher relay the day before trying to flash the LED tail light. ....Now have to find either a generic 24V pole flasher, or a legit toyota replacement.

I bodge welded the parking brake cable guide mount. I just abut torqued off 2 years ago when I was putting in a new cable.
1587212335421.png

I also made a new brake line to replace the one I nicked with a cutoff wheel. I am still a beginner tubing bender so I had to put some shims in to use the OEM brake line clamp. I was about 1/4" too high.
1587212493093.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom