What did you do on your 70 series today? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Changed the oil & filter today.

I also modded the hood to use gas struts. No more hood prop rod! ^_^

IMG_7046.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

So other social media got videos of the stereo and sound deadening results today. Mud is just going to have to wait until I do the final full build video.

In the meantime.....

3CC9B097-D165-433A-BC75-890DEE4DF6AC.jpeg

Man it sure is sexy. I get this way with a Cruiser and a big build, at the end I can’t keep my eyes off it!

Whole bunch of wiring cleaned up and finalized today in the engine bay and for the winch. Oh ya, played with the stereo too!

Cheers

Last night on the way home from my brother in laws house I decided to use the Iron Man 4x4 off road lights installed on the truck.
The rural paths and dirt roads here in the PI are VERY VERY dark at night. There are NO street lights at all; the only local lights might be from a few houses that might have their porch lights on.
Finding the lights weren't working was rather disappointing since this was the ideal area to use the lights.
When the headlights or parking lights are on there is a red light on push button pod that says the Off Road lights are ready to use, but the red light was extinguished.
Spent a few hours this morning troubleshooting the problem. Found the relay buzzing when the button is depressed, but the Off Road lights would not illuminate.
The climate in the PI is VERY hot and humid with A LOT of rain which causes oxidation to ground connections, wiring terminals and relay contacts.
Cleaned the relay terminals and ground connections, measured the relay and coil resistance and verified there was 12v from the battery to the relay to energize the lights. Found and fixed several problems in the wiring harness that did not resolve the problem.
Jumped the 12v relay terminals and the Off Road lights illuminated; while there was 12v positive to the relay coil there was no continuity to ground measured.
I applied a separate ground to the relay coil, the relay energized and the lights illuminated.
The remainder of the time was spent tracing the remainder of the wiring for more problems.
Inside the dash board there is a module with a selector switch for 12/24V; I measured resistance and voltage and found no continuity.
I disconnected the module from the harness, sprayed contact cleaner inside and moved the selector switch back and forth several times to clean the contacts.
After reconnecting the module and turning the parking lights on; the red light on the pod returned indicating the Off Road lights were ready to use.
The pod push button now energizes the Off Road lights when pressed.
Put my tools away and went into the house to cool off and get a bottle of Gatorade.

Made up a net to store light soft stuff while the missus and I travel the Southern African game parks. It’s a regular vehicle while not on holiday so not a lot of our stuff is permanently mounted. Actually it’s just modified and reinstalled, we have used it before and it’s great for hats and towels and maps and rain gear and stuff.
It's a 76 wagon, by the way.
7CD446EC-7151-4B50-A3AE-73E3CBF02286.jpeg
7CD446EC-7151-4B50-A3AE-73E3CBF02286.jpeg
54495B5C-A1F7-4234-AB2A-E924FD877F3F.jpeg

DC75CE5B-C1D8-49B2-B010-402D368693A4.jpeg

69C3E4AE-95AF-479E-AEA6-C6880CF11CE8.jpeg

59949808-5995-439F-BF5B-C76DC04A36BC.jpeg

Last edited:
When you hear a “clink” driving and all lights go on and you lose brakes.

7E261FD2-5CCB-4C72-9FF3-74B66A0A5053.jpeg

Limped it 1 mile to a machine shop right as The temp spiked due to water pump not turning o_O
Hopped out, pulled alt over to make the waterpump turn and instantly cool off.
Walked to the shop and asked if he could weld a bracket and I could borrow some tools. 15 minutes later all finished and he would t accept any money. He will be building my rear tire carrier.

98CE7AFD-209D-4490-BFD7-F6DBCE2E1ECB.jpeg

9DB138F7-159E-4448-BB3F-56D16B9B089B.jpeg

:oops:
The alternator was flopping around still and I noticed the bottom bolts on the alternator bracket were missing. That caused the bracket to break.

739374AE-43C7-444D-B11F-DAAF50C94E90.jpeg

The ac bolt was missing as I tried to see if that would fit. Back working fine now, but I still have the alt/VR issue on under 650 rpm.

Gave her a service
20190817_161435.jpg

20190817_093704.jpg
20190817_093551.jpg
20190817_093827.jpg

Made up a net to store light soft stuff while the missus and I travel the Southern African game parks. It’s a regular vehicle while not on holiday so not a lot of our stuff is permanently mounted. Actually it’s just modified and reinstalled, we have used it before and it’s great for hats and towels and maps and rain gear and stuff.
It's a 76 wagon, by the way.
View attachment 2059738View attachment 2059738View attachment 2059744

View attachment 2059739

View attachment 2059741

View attachment 2059743
thanks for sharing. Been thinking about doing something similar...

One thing about driving modern cars is that the lights turn off automatically so you don't have to worry about remembering to turn them off. Unfortunately for the first time, I forgot to turn mine off yesterday on the PZJ70 when I parked at work and was welcomed to dead batteries by the afternoon.

I have never jumped a dual battery 24V vehicle so I had to track down a 24V jump pack from the maintenance department of another company on site at work used for the tuggers to get my cruiser jump started.

IMG_0794.jpg

One thing about driving modern cars is that the lights turn off automatically so you don't have to worry about remembering to turn them off. Unfortunately for the first time, I forgot to turn mine off yesterday on the PZJ70 when I parked at work and was welcomed to dead batteries by the afternoon.

I have never jumped a dual battery 24V vehicle so I had to track down a 24V jump pack from the maintenance department of another company on site at work used for the tuggers to get my cruiser jump started.

View attachment 2062714
That was never a problem when I owned vintage Land Rovers. Those headlights would often shut off even when you didn't won't them to. :)

View attachment 2062714
I would have never thought of that.

I would have never thought of that.

Nor did I to be honest. I have always been pretty good about turning stuff off when exiting the vehicle but I guess it was an off day for me.

Nor did I to be honest. I have always been pretty good about turning stuff off when exiting the vehicle but I guess it was an off day for me.

I typically have a jump pack (power packs) in my cars to be able to start them, and I never thought of the lack of availablity of jump packs for 24 volt systems.

I am shopping around for one to keep. The Snap-On branded unit I borrowed seems to be too pricey though.

The 12 volt batteries in a 24 volt bank can be individually jumped as long as you pay attention to the hook up. Do not ground to the chassis, connect the leads directly to one battery. If the truck is almost alive sometimes jumping one battery will be enough to get it going. Often one battery will be lower. If it won't crank move the jumper to the other battery and try again.

Like Dan said.
I used a 12V jump pack and my other car to jump each battery separately.

NOCO has a battery charger that does 12 and 24V. Not an instant fix tho'.

Termites never sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom