What did you do on your 70 series today? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh ya, roof rack got a few goodies as well.

27140083-06FC-45EF-9278-AAB3310E93B2.jpeg
FD1447BA-3AF1-4117-9AA7-1B261433B012.jpeg

Cheers

Picked it up from the body shop after I finally bit the bullet and sent it in to get the roof rust cut out. This was the first time I've had any work done on it by a shop rather than myself in the year I've owned it... took me awhile to be willing to entrust somebody with it!

I think they did a good job - from the outside it looks like the factory roof panel. Body work is expensive but I'm very relieved to have this behind me so now it won't rain inside the truck anymore and I can begin to permanently install the rear build out I've been working on.

Huge shout out to umpqua and Mookies for making this a reality. The replacement section of roof panel that was welded in was from Rodney's roof that was cut off for his pop top conversion.

Before (Inside):
IMG_2834.JPG

After (Outside):
IMG_3101.JPG

Not going to spill the beans on the dyno?
The Troopy's owner has a thread on 'MUD and I'll let him post the results. The engine was dynoed prior to the work and afterwards and the difference was impressive to say the least.

Further rusty floor repairs.
Under rear seats left bracket.
floor rust repair (6).JPG

Second layer beneath badly corroded.
floor rust repair (5).JPG

Bottom layer is heavier gauge. Maybe 15 gauge. Cut a patch..got it right the 2nd try.
floor rust repair (4).JPG

Welded into place.
floor rust repair (3).JPG

Will prime then do top layer later.
floor rust repair (2).JPG

I know Land Cruisers and what they are capable of, but seeing this tub I can see why a lot of people swear by them, this thing is pretty stout, the floor has lots of dents but it has held well. I have now removed most of the paint and and strarted sanding the floor, pretty labor intensive. I know I could have had it sandblasted but without removing the cement first my guess is that it wouldn't have been that effective on cleaning the bed's floor.

PS. Please, don't think I'm an untidy person, the garage is not mine, I'd have it more organized.
IMG_20190812_200222831.jpg

I know Land Cruisers and what they are capable of, but seeing this tub I can see why a lot of people swear by them, this thing is pretty stout, the floor has lots of dents but it has held well. I have now removed most of the paint and and strarted sanding the floor, pretty labor intensive. I know I could have had it sandblasted but without removing the cement first my guess is that it wouldn't have been that effective on cleaning the bed's floor.

PS. Please, don't think I'm an untidy person, the garage is not mine, I'd have it more organized.
View attachment 2056738
Wow... looking at the before picture, hard to believe it is the same bed.

Dropped by the shop to look at a BJ40 that was recently purchased by one of the local plantations.
image.jpeg

I didn't want to start another thread and didn't know where to put it but i have searched for hours and cannot find the toyota part numbers for a fuel level sender (need main tank but should be the same as the sub tank?) And the bolts that mount the seat frames to the tub. Talking as hdj79 here. Many thanks in advance for and help.

Wow... looking at the before picture, hard to believe it is the same bed.
Thank you, it has taken a lot of hours to get there and still we have to remove the paint on the side panels, some weldings, a lot more sanding and the detailling, but for 250 dollars it cost me I kinda knew where I was getting into. The most tedious thing is the sanding, I have to do it all by hand and it's tiresome.

Today received the rear door handles, had them galvanized, for 10.000 colombian pesos (3 USD) I think they look good.

IMG_20190813_192802639.jpg

IMG_20190813_192819748.jpg

Took a road trip in it with the dog and my wife. ~800 miles round trip, no pics of the Troopy, but a couple of the dog and the Tetons.

20190809_181907.jpg

20190811_124159.jpg

Up on Togwotee Pass? Beattie kill is bad up there but not so many tourists. ;)

Cheers
Si. and Si. 10,000 people in the park and we saw 5 other people on our hike to Jade Lake. Camped about a mile off a double track with not a single other vehicle on it.

Si. and Si. 10,000 people in the park and we saw 5 other people on our hike to Jade Lake. Camped about a mile off a double track with not a single other vehicle on it.

Yup, living there for 20yrs I had to find the places without so many tourists. I used to go back country snowboarding up there often, especially early season.

Ask me next time we have a beer and I can tell ya many other fantastic spots to go out that way where there are not so many tourists. ;)

Btw, you want any of this 70 stuff before I toss it?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom