What coolant to do use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So lavish

I think at Walmart premix is like 10$ and straight is 12$ spend another 1$ and you get two gallons for 13$ vs 1 for 10$

If you have to buy say 4 gallons thats 40 vs 26 give or take. So maybe thats not a ton but worth it to me to mix it myself.
:adjusts monocle:

Who is going to be the first to run Evans Waterless, now that red is a PITA to get. Evidently it is what a lot of collectors use in vehicles that sit a lot.

p15551ZP.jpg

I could be tempted to try that. I saw it on an old Wheeler Dealers episode. I recall it being a bit of a palava to evacuate all the water from the system though.

Who is going to be the first to run Evans Waterless, now that red is a PITA to get. Evidently it is what a lot of collectors use in vehicles that sit a lot.

p15551ZP.jpg

I plan on being DEAD before my 80 gets a chance of sitting still a lot! :skull:

Yes I think it is a pain to get all the water out and then you have to run something else through it to help make sure it is water free and then you add the Evans. I imagine it would be like a $200 process. I know it is what Jeno Leno uses in all of his cars.

Yes I think it is a pain to get all the water out and then you have to run something else through it to help make sure it is water free and then you add the Evans. I imagine it would be like a $200 process. I know it is what Jeno Leno uses in all of his cars.

Through all the threads I've read here, the coolant ones have been the most. There have been a couple that tried the Evans Waterless, and had mediocre results. In the end they evacuated it and went back to green.

I did a bunch of research in 2014 to determine the best fit. Toyota discontinued the production of the Toyota Red at the end of 2014. Up to that time, CDan only approved the Toyota Red. After the discontinuation, he changed his view and approved the standard green. (I put T-Red in mine) When I have to do mine again, I will switch to green after considerable flushing.

The green makes sense because it is more widely available and considerably less expensive. You just need to consider changing it every two years or so to reduce the electrolytic changes it undergoes.

Toyota red was a sales gimmic. Toyota engines are not made of special mystery materials. When Napa has a sale, stock up on green 50/50 at $5.49/gal. :p

First apologies if you took offense at my joke.

You stated you were surprised that no one had mentioned that particular device, and your right, perhaps it is because it is not considered an essential piece of equipment for filling a radiator?

I own and run a garage business, and have never needed anything other than commonsense to fill a cooling system, and trust me, if the product was even remotely advantageous to the garage trade, I would have a rep crawling up my arse every other day trying to sell it to me, along with anti scuff door protectors and dashboard polish.

Regards

Dave
No offense taken at all! Sarcasm usually doesn't transmit well over text for which I'm sorry about that.

I imagine your reps are much like the ones we have here as well so I believe you 100%.

It happens to be a nice tool as you fill it past the radiator cap and as you burp the air out, the coolant in the funnel maintains a one way valve of sorts for air.

p15551ZP.jpg

I considered this after I saw a video from Delboy's garage where he was turning a street bike into a fighter. However once I saw the cost and then added that to the arduous process of removing ALL water from the system, it didn't seem feasible on my vehicles, IMO. Best left to hardcore guys and bikes.

I considered this after I saw a video from Delboy's garage where he was turning a street bike into a fighter. However once I saw the cost and then added that to the arduous process of removing ALL water from the system, it didn't seem feasible on my vehicles, IMO. Best left to hardcore guys and bikes.

Personally, it probably suits Jay Leno's garage well because his vehicles sit more than they are driven. Since there is no water, it is less corrosive and is less likely to be a problem. So for those that store their vehicles more than they drive them, it's not cost-prohibitive. However, for those daily drivers, not so much.

You have to be financially committed to TRY it, so most will keep it if they try it, just because they are unwilling to admit that it may not be the best choice. I wouldn't want to be on the trail and have a cooling system issue such as a blown hose or head gasket and not be able to do a field repair on it unless you carry the entire setup with you.

Definitely not for me.

No offense taken at all! Sarcasm usually doesn't transmit well over text for which I'm sorry about that.

I imagine your reps are much like the ones we have here as well so I believe you 100%.

Don't worry about it mate, I have broad shoulders, and yes the reps are a PITA!

My biggest problem is I have always been on the side of the DIY..er, as soon as I see adverts for things like this proporting to be the best thing since sliced bread, then out comes my protective nature, I can then make a decision on it's worth.

Sure, people can make up their own minds whether to spend their hard earned bucks however, this is something that is definitely not needed on an 80 period.

These are not cheap vehicles to maintain properly, I reckon I have spent around €6,500.00 in three years on mine, not on armour, not on suspension upgrades, just doing things right, decent brakes for example, and as I am in the trade that figure does not include any element of labour, so I am all for avoiding purchases that might be used once, and then spend a few years in the corner of the garage collecting dust.

Regards

Dave

Hi I'm relatively new to this forum, who is this mysterious @cDan? And what makes him the guru to say when it's okay to use which coolant? Genuinely curious.

I assume nothing changed after 2014 about the coolant besides Red being less available and more expensive? Is that to say that red is still better but greek is "ok"?

Also, is there a specific "green" to buy? I do not want to assume the chemical composition of each brand is the same simply because of whichever color they are. I agree that an affordable, available coolant would be nice.

I still find the anecdotal evidence here about coolant preference a bit unsatisfying. Would love to know if there has been further investigation since this thread was started in 2017.

@gwolf3, the FAQ has a few links to good threads regarding these questions.

CDan is a broom closet manager at a museum...

Hi I'm relatively new to this forum, who is this mysterious @cDan? And what makes him the guru to say when it's okay to use which coolant? Genuinely curious.

gwolf3, C Dan is to Toyota knowledge, what Mosses was to the 10 commandments. He ascended mount Toyota, and has come down that mountain to share all the knowledge and wisdom with us mere mortals.​

All kidding aside, he working for over 20 years at a Toyota parts and service department, so when he says to do things a certain way. The majority of Mud members take what he says as the advice of a TRUE EXPERT. He now spends his days as the Land Cruiser expert at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake city.

gwolf3, C Dan is to Toyota knowledge, what Mosses was to the 10 commandments. He ascended mount Toyota, and has come down that mountain to share all the knowledge and wisdom with us mere mortals.​

All kidding aside, he working for over 20 years at a Toyota parts and service department, so when he says to do things a certain way. The majority of Mud members take what he says as the advice of a TRUE EXPERT. He now spends his days as the Land Cruiser expert at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake city.

Thanks, I'll have to check out that museum sometime.

My dad passed me down his old 1997 landcruiser (270K miles), so I've been fixing it up. Had been sitting for a while (couple years) after some problems and repairs started getting too expensive (I've had to redo some of these "repairs") so a few quirks but it's back in action now and runs well. As a total amateur, I've learned a lot so far and this forum has been my primary source of information and given me way more confidence to approach the work.

He always wanted to see it go over 300K, so I'm hoping to get it there and beyond.

So I’ve read through multiple threads and haven’t seen a solid answer for my coolant question…My question is, I replaced the PHH on my 96 today and in preparation I pulled the lower rad hose to drain. What came out looked pink or light red. I was planning to flush with distilled (if necessary) and replace with this. Will this be OK? TIA

1411DE4D-0532-44D5-B100-F81B3F244488.jpeg

So I’ve read through multiple threads and haven’t seen a solid answer for my coolant question…My question is, I replaced the PHH on my 96 today and in preparation I pulled the lower rad hose to drain. What came out looked pink or light red. I was planning to flush with distilled (if necessary) and replace with this. Will this be OK? TIA

View attachment 3282366
yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom