What coolant to do use? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

toyota red

Let your location decide, or Green with bottled water, FWIW I pulled my rad last week for some PM and change my electric cooling fan for a different model. Despite being flushed just two years back, and looking clean in the expansion tank and rad opening, some dirty coloured water come out from the very lowest part of the rad, when inverted and flushed.

I think the flow rate at the bottom of the rad, and furthest from the bottom hose, is slow enough to leave some residue in/around/under the transmission cooler, and it only gets disturbed when flushing? Note the drain plug is in this area...........coincidence?

Non OEM radiator, but reasonable quality fitted over seven years ago.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Toyota Red: 354,000 miles with original radiator (cracked/patched plastic tank but no corrosion internally)

So what are you guys doing with the old fluid? I asked autozone if they took it and they don't. I still have a bucket in my garage from two years ago. I need to flush mine post rebuild hopefully has little dirt in it but you cant be sure what was left in the block from vat. My whole cooling system is new including rad, overflow bottle and hoses (other than block).
FWIW I went with green. I do have a sensitive machine when it comes to burping, or air in the system. After rebuild temps were way up there until the air came out.

So what are you guys doing with the old fluid? I asked autozone if they took it and they don't. I still have a bucket in my garage from two years ago. I need to flush mine post rebuild hopefully has little dirt in it but you cant be sure what was left in the block from vat. My whole cooling system is new including rad, overflow bottle and hoses (other than block).
FWIW I went with green. I do have a sensitive machine when it comes to burping, or air in the system. After rebuild temps were way up there until the air came out.
I have a big tub under my truck and I’m planning on taking it to one of those drive through oil change shops. They always take my old fluids for free.

I've found that on the sensitive ones, you can rub the liftgate with a gentle pat and they will burp a little easier without throwing up all over the place.

I am always hearing about air locks in the 80 model, and on occasions other brands but, it is pretty common knowledge that you set the heater valve before filling to hot, what is not common knowledge is the 80 must have the ignition on. The cable is motorised, just moving the slider to hot without the ignition on does nothing, hence the air lock, then in goes the coolant and next thing we have people pointing thier rigs noses to the sky, jacking up one side, planting totem poles and dancing around calling the burp gods to the rescue, perhaps even using @BILT4ME's method and so forth.

I have seen quotes such as "it took nearly a week to get the air out", and such like, think about this, Toyota were probably turning out 80's at a rate of one every four minutes, it can't be the that hard can it?

This is typical daily stuff for me, vehicle level, heater valve open (if 80 is the ignition on? ) pour in the coolant slow enough to allow the air to be pushed out, fill the expansion tank (if fitted) to the correct level. When the rad is NEARLY full start the motor, allow it to idle and add coolant as the level drops but keep an air space from the coolant level to the neck, this allows large amounts of air to escape, feel the heater pipes, they should be getting warm, this tells you the majority of air is out of the heater and water is in fact moving around.

Within a short while you will see the water moving as it starts to circulate, the thermostat will be opening, a little longer and the water level will start to rise, it will not hurt to have a little fast idle, it may help push around any trapped air. Now put the cap on and bring the motor up to full temperature, then shut down, allow to cool down.

Now, if there was a lot of trapped air then it should be pushed out to the expansion tank, where it separates from the coolant but, if there is insufficient coolant in the expansion tank, then as the motor cools it will draw air back in, hence filling the tank before starting. When cool check radiator AND expansion tank level, leaving a little over the full mark will do no harm, the tank is not sealed.

Without doubt the heater is the culprit on most air lock problems, and not just the 80, perhaps Mr T should have put bleed valves on the heater hoses like Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat, Ford, Renault ......................

Regards

Dave

Green is a 50/50 premix you buy it that way.

My friend says "thank you."

Let me clarify...... You can buy PREMIX in green or you can buy STRAIGHT green antifreeze that needs to be cut 50/50 with distilled water.

It all depends on what's available and what you bought. Read the label.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Do you understand what they are? I feel like if you understood then you wouldn't make some dumb joke.

Whoa buddy! Relax a little, I thought the poster of that link was also having a bit of fun, I mean an extra 30 bucks to put coolant in your rad.....I mean come on!

Have a look a little look further back my friend, I gave advice on the absolute correct method how to fill an 80, and pretty much every car on the planet, so a little fun never hurt anyone right?

Regards

Dave

Traditional green is NOT usually premixed. Yes, you can buy it that way, but it's definitely not the norm.

Is it possible in the posters area where he lives it is the norm? For example, whilst a lot of provincial differences still exist in Spain, antifreeze is pre mixed regardless of colour, just choose the protection level and colour to suit. I have seen 'neat' antifreeze sold here however, it has not been seen for about 7 or 8 years?

Regards

Dave

Why would they? Your only filling a radiator not giving the motor an enema. :rofl:

Regards

Dsve
What if I did administer an enema? You've undoubtedly seen some of the stuff that can come out of a block...

It may be a $30 way to fill coolant, but it allows you to burp all of the air out of the system fairly easily. Paid for itself already IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom