What coolant to do use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hope no 80 Series neophyte’s read this comic strip. Before :) After :confused: ....

What if I did administer an enema? You've undoubtedly seen some of the stuff that can come out of a block...

It may be a $30 way to fill coolant, but it allows you to burp all of the air out of the system fairly easily. Paid for itself already IMO.

First apologies if you took offense at my joke.

You stated you were surprised that no one had mentioned that particular device, and your right, perhaps it is because it is not considered an essential piece of equipment for filling a radiator?

I own and run a garage business, and have never needed anything other than commonsense to fill a cooling system, and trust me, if the product was even remotely advantageous to the garage trade, I would have a rep crawling up my arse every other day trying to sell it to me, along with anti scuff door protectors and dashboard polish.

Regards

Dave

First apologies if you took offense at my joke.

You stated you were surprised that no one had mentioned that particular device, and your right, perhaps it is because it is not considered an essential piece of equipment for filling a radiator?

I own and run a garage business, and have never needed anything other than commonsense to fill a cooling system, and trust me, if the product was even remotely advantageous to the garage trade, I would have a rep crawling up my arse every other day trying to sell it to me, along with anti scuff door protectors and dashboard polish.

Regards

Dave

Commonly used by auto techs around here. I don't own one but I know guys who do.

Was in Walmart today, Prestone says “for all makes, all colors” on bottle.

Green vs Red may have been significant 20 years ago. Has the formula been updated for compatibility since then?

Commonly used by auto techs around here. I don't own one but I know guys who do.

Good to hear that, I guess my 40 years in the trade is pretty much wasted.

Regards

Dave

Sounds like it. :crybaby:

Gotta go with Dave on this one. In my over 50 years of wrenching on cars for both hobby and/or profit, I have never seen a need for anything more than a $1 plastic funnel, if even that. Most cars built in the last 30 years will self-burp the cooling system if the cap and overflow tank are in good working order.

Here in the USA, I would never buy pre-mixed coolant as D I water is very inexpensive: i.e. $0.88 per gallon at Walmart.

Fun to see you jump in that one!

Regards

Dave

What?

I'll admit, it's amusing how butthurt you are that there are other mechanics that use different tools. It's amazing how offended you seem to be that other mechanics have different opinions. Its as if your 40 years of wasted time makes you the absolute authority on filling cooling systems and burping funnels are a personal insult. Lol

Gotta go with Dave on this one. In my over 50 years of wrenching on cars for both hobby and/or profit, I have never seen a need for anything more than a $1 plastic funnel, if even that. Most cars built in the last 30 years will self-burp the cooling system if the cap and overflow tank are in good working order.

Here in the USA, I would never buy pre-mixed coolant as D I water is very inexpensive: i.e. $0.88 per gallon at Walmart.

I'm not saying that its needed but there are vehicles that need to be vacuum filled or where the burping funnels help, or at least this helps save time. I don't even own one but I've used regular funnels to do the same thing. It'd be nice to have though in some cases. I don't do enough light vehicle work to make it worth it though.

I agree though, I grab the 1.00 jug of distilled water and straight coolant and mix it myself. Save yourself a ton of $$$

What?

I'll admit, it's amusing how butthurt you are that there are other mechanics that use different tools. It's amazing how offended you seem to be that other mechanics have different opinions. Its as if your 40 years of wasted time makes you the absolute authority on filling cooling systems and burping funnels are a personal insult. Lol

GOTCHA!

Dave puts away the hook and line and wanders off to bed, night night. :D

Regards

Dave

I suddenly feel extraordinarily rich. I use premix coolant like a true member of the bourgeoisie

So lavish

I think at Walmart premix is like 10$ and straight is 12$ spend another 1$ and you get two gallons for 13$ vs 1 for 10$

If you have to buy say 4 gallons thats 40 vs 26 give or take. So maybe thats not a ton but worth it to me to mix it myself.

Last edited:
I suddenly feel extraordinarily rich. I use premix coolant like a true member of the bourgeoisie

Dude! Ya coulda bought at least a half a gallon of criuser fuel with the savings??

Who is going to be the first to run Evans Waterless, now that red is a PITA to get. Evidently it is what a lot of collectors use in vehicles that sit a lot.

p15551ZP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom