VSC OFF switch install. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reading back through this thread seems that several people cited they had the VSC engage under similar circumstances: turning, sweeping turns, off camber turns etc. Brings the question; are all of these vehicles lifted: ie. larger than stock tires, aftermarket lift kit etc and had any ever performed a Zero Point Calibration after your lift? Anyone with a bone stock rig experiencing the intermittent VSC engagement? Its meant to be performed after an alignment, lift or any related work on the steering system. Pondering if the symptom on lifted rigs is corrected by performing the ZPC.

FWIW- my 05 is lifted, armored, larger tires and have not experienced the random VSC condition. But I have performed a ZPC after the lift and later after UCA install and subsequent alignments.

I did perform the Zero Point Calibration.

Team 100. Safety guy coming in. VSC can save you and your families life in high speed "moose test" maneuvers. The VSC can easily out drive any human in most situations. I would recommend an on / off switch and try the ZPC after a lift. That is why some type of VSC is standard on almost every SUV and pickup out today. That is why it was added to the LC in 2000 because in the moose test the 1999 LC would come up on two wheels when the steering was jerked hard at speed. PSA over. ;<)

Agree with the safety concern- its an important consideration if you do the mod with out a switch. I had to do a hard brake and swerve to the right at 60mph to avoid two cars in front of me brake checking one another in traffic. VSC performed it job.

Team 100. Safety guy coming in. VSC can save you and your families life in high speed "moose test" maneuvers. The VSC can easily out drive any human in most situations. I would recommend an on / off switch and try the ZPC after a lift. That is why some type of VSC is standard on almost every SUV and pickup out today. That is why it was added to the LC in 2000 because in the moose test the 1999 LC would come up on two wheels when the steering was jerked hard at speed. PSA over. ;<)

Sure but at this rate eventually someone's VSC is going to go haywire, apply the brakes on one side of the vehicle, pull the vehicle off the road into the brush and hit a moose - a moose that was just innocently standing there, chewing slowly, minding his own business.

It's pretty obvious at this point that VSC is both a safety feature and a safety hazard. I don't have it but if I did I would certainly disable it (or try) - because of the way I drive and where I drive. But it's a personal decision.

Today I performed both a yaw rate and deceleration zero-point calibration but my VSC lights still keep coming on. Has anyone else had any luck correcting this?? I would like to keep my VSC if I can

Sure but at this rate eventually someone's VSC is going to go haywire, apply the brakes on one side of the vehicle, pull the vehicle off the road into the brush and hit a moose - a moose that was just innocently standing there, chewing slowly, minding his own business.

It's pretty obvious at this point that VSC is both a safety feature and a safety hazard. I don't have it but if I did I would certainly disable it (or try) - because of the way I drive and where I drive. But it's a personal decision.
So true however I want VSC on my side. Most people can not out drive VSC in a emergency situation.

I've had VSC braking engage probably about 8 to 10 times over the last six months. Always at freeway speeds and when the vehicle is climbing a highway slope. Last night was the worst one and almost sent me off the road. Crossed a lane, lost 40mph and scared the crap out of the family and I. I think it is more likely at this point that I will have this problem cause an accident before an accident occurs from a lack of VSC assistance in the moose avoidance maneuver. Have decided I will have to do the mod. By the way, mi rig is a stock 2000.

@diegus011 20 year old electronics and sensors. That sounds scary enough to request Toyota do diagnostics and replace a couple of sensors. Sounds like a faulty wheel speed sensor.

Would a faulty wheel speed sensor trip the VSC system within the first few rotations of the tires? My light always kick on about 5sec after I start rolling, but if I start the truck and sit still they remain off.

I regularly do the ZPC. 20" Tundra wheels/tires, no lift.

The fact is that there are just too many potential points of failure on the VSC system -- and you don't know it's faulty until it tries to rip the wheel out of your hands and drive you off the road/into a collision.

I'm not about to argue that a system will out-drive the typical driver, but I'll argue all day about a system that has that much control over your vehicle needing self checks and reasonable maintenance. The fact that Lexus hasn't acknowledged this is a point of failure already violates my definition of 'reasonable maintenance'.

Advocating a switch for... what? So we can turn it on for straightaways and turn it off for sloped turns? 😒

Last edited:
Eh, I’m team safety on this one. Parts have a service life, even from Toyota and even on the flagship model. Why would there be anything to acknowledge? the only predictable thing at this point is that parts will continue to wear out and break. Just fix the underlying issue (because yeah, it is scary as hell the first time).

Or don’t, your truck. I’m really not asking for a flame war. I want mine in working order in case my wife or someone else needs to borrow it and doesn’t know to expect any weirdness, can’t bump a switch back to danger, etc.

Mine was a combination of the steering rack being toast and some wheel bearings that needed service.

Then install the switch anyway, because having more manual control in some off road situations is better. :hillbilly:

My steering rack was replaced about 3wks ago and bearings were service 3k miles ago and after all the calibrations and stuff I still have the dash lights on which is annoying. I guess it's better than swerving into a barrier but I would rather neither happen. I'm betting on wheel speed sensors but that will have to wait for the next wheel bearing service.

Thank you for this mod.

While testing the VSC mod ATRAC applied the brakes for second at 60MPH. Very wet conditions with bald front tires. Perhaps I was hydroplaning.

Last edited:
Thank you for this mod. While testing the VSC mod ATRAC applied the brakes for second at 60MPH. Very wet conditions with bald front tires. Perhaps I was hydroplaning.
I don't think ATRAC would be active at the speed. Might want to double check that mod was done correctly. A lot of wires and connectors under there.

Thanks for the great write up. I got mine installed today. I chose a one position switch to kill both VSC and TC at once and have it so the 12v powers up an LED when everything is switched off. Just a note on my '07 I can press the button and disable everything with the vehicle running, but I can't turn it back on unless I restart the truck.

I used this switch because I like the way it looks: https://amzn.to/2xjaYva

JZ2wVLQ.jpg

IdXOowV.jpg

JIRPO9R.jpg

It worked! No more Jesus take the wheel on corners. :cool:

So for simplicity purposes, the SPDT Rocker switch has 3 prongs, correct?

Top prong - pink/grey to ECU?
Middle - to ground?
Bottom - pink/grey to floating wire?

Does this make sense? :meh:

I absolutley s*ck at electrical wiring. I just picked up a ‘01 lx470 and I s*** you not, on the way home from picking the rig up, the VSC went off... Scared the crap out of me, called the previous owner up and cussed him out. He said he’ll pay for ZPC and whatever but, bro... I could’ve killed my family! Just had the ZPC done today, and tested it out. Same VSC issue on same curved incline..SO IM CUTTING THE FKN WIRES!!

I just need more specifics on the wiring. I plan on using the same rocker switch as the OP. I still plan on fixing up the steering rack/bushings, basically the whole front suspension eventually, the vehicle drives great, but there’s no way I will let my kids in that vehicle until I get this VSC resolved.

So for simplicity purposes, the SPDT Rocker switch has 3 prongs, correct?

Top prong - pink/grey to ECU?
Middle - to ground?
Bottom - pink/grey to floating wire?

Does this make sense? :meh:

I absolutley s*ck at electrical wiring. I just picked up a ‘01 lx470 and I s*** you not, on the way home from picking the rig up, the VSC went off... Scared the crap out of me, called the previous owner up and cussed him out. He said he’ll pay for ZPC and whatever but, bro... I could’ve killed my family! Just had the ZPC done today, and tested it out. Same VSC issue on same curved incline..SO IM CUTTING THE FKN WIRES!!

I just need more specifics on the wiring. I plan on using the same rocker switch as the OP. I still plan on fixing up the steering rack/bushings, basically the whole front suspension eventually, the vehicle drives great, but there’s no way I will let my kids in that vehicle until I get this VSC resolved.
You could be experiencing an ABS wheel sensor fault making the truck think a wheel is slipping so it’s applying the brakes accordingly. This could be caused by a wheel sensor going bad or loose wheel bearings

You could be experiencing an ABS wheel sensor fault making the truck think a wheel is slipping so it’s applying the brakes accordingly. This could be caused by a wheel sensor going bad or loose wheel bearings
Ok I’ll add that to my enormous list of things to do with steering and front suspension. But like I mentioned, the vehicle drives just fine until I hit that hill, then the VSC/(I’m guessing ABS too?) goes haywire. I feel like I’ve experienced everything the previous posters have experienced and I plan on updating all the issues with steering and suspension just not all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom