Turbo build and Restoration - 97 3x Locked (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Head is off. Video update coming sometime on Tuesday when I get a chance to edit and upload.

-
PXL_20220412_044626009.jpeg

You will get a kick out of my caveman way of lifting the head up high enough to snake the engine harness through the runners.

I was super exhausted last night when I finished up around 1:45a. So if I did anything royally dumb or you see anything in the video that I missed, let me know :)

Here is the video of the last several steps I went through to get the cylinder head off of the 1FZ finally!

-

Hey Bak, great video once again. Very informative and the time you take to show all the nuanced details helps dudes like me (noobs) to gain confidence in jobs like this. There are many tutorial videos out there but many are grainy with crappy sound or angles that do not capture the details. I think your videos definitely augment the FSM in terms of visual and clearer understanding via your explanations. I have an 80 that I plan on restoring and will probably pull the engine to start. Your vids will definitely aid in that process. Love it. Keep it up and get some sleep!!

Hey Bak, great video once again. Very informative and the time you take to show all the nuanced details helps dudes like me (noobs) to gain confidence in jobs like this. There are many tutorial videos out there but many are grainy with crappy sound or angles that do not capture the details. I think your videos definitely augment the FSM in terms of visual and clearer understanding via your explanations. I have an 80 that I plan on restoring and will probably pull the engine to start. Your vids will definitely aid in that process. Love it. Keep it up and get some sleep!!
Thanks buddy! I am having a lot of fun with this build. It is a LOT more work than I originally planned, but it also brings back a lot of memories from previous builds, and gives me a chance to do things a bit different this time around. If there's anything in particular you want to see more detail on it let me know, happy to focus in areas that are useful for the videos so they're more helpful.

Tonight I got the oil cooler off. It was surprisingly clean, but well worth removing to clean it and reseal. I also got to take a closer look at the cylinder head and I think there's a chance that the head gasket was compromised at some point in the past on cylinder #5 and #6. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Here's the full video

-

Ah crap. I just opened a huge can of worms with this one. Still not sure whether to be excited or terrified with the amount of extra work I just made for myself. This just turned sideways into a completely different direction. Now to start planning what the turbo setup is going to be.

Video update uploaded.

-

For those too lazy to click the video above, here is what just arrived:

-
278481726_10158537531562470_6122385223058765856_n.jpeg

Won't that short runner setup kill torque?
Low rpm torque. Maybe? A lot depends on the turbo and the rest of the setup. Just add more boost :)

Last edited:
View attachment 2983748

You write this update like you accidentally bought this shiny piece of art
Honestly. I did not plan to do anything more than an extensive rebuild until a few weeks ago. It was one of those late night, in the garage, with a nice cold glass of bourbon sorry of brainstorms. I slept on it, thought some more, and just had to do it. I still don't know what to do about the turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel system, etc... But I'm sure another night with a glass of Angels Envy Rye will help me put the rest of my plans on paper.

Honestly. I did not plan to do anything more than an extensive rebuild until a few weeks ago. It was one of those late night, in the garage, with a nice cold glass of bourbon sorry of brainstorms. I slept on it, thought some more, and just had to do it. I still don't know what to do about the turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel system, etc... But I'm sure another night with a glass of Angels Envy Rye will help me put the rest of my plans on paper.
Uh huh. Likely story :flipoff2:

-
View attachment 2983494
Cool setup, I think the Plazmaman has a little longer runners than the Hypertune. I have heard there is a little interference with the firewall with the Plazmaman but I am sure it isn't much. Looks good, I am definitely subscribing. I have been running my old Turbo truck with Haltech for almost what a decade now!

Cool setup, I think the Plazmaman has a little longer runners than the Hypertune. I have heard there is a little interference with the firewall with the Plazmaman but I am sure it isn't much. Looks good, I am definitely subscribing. I have been running my old Turbo truck with Haltech for almost what a decade now!
Ya. Seems like the firewall side might need some massaging. I am just hoping the ABS stuff doesn't have to move. What ever ended up being your power to the wheels after the Haltech tune?

Ya. Seems like the firewall side might need some massaging. I am just hoping the ABS stuff doesn't have to move. What ever ended up being your power to the wheels after the Haltech tune?
It ended up being 380awhp and 490ft/lbs, I think if you want more power I would go with a bigger turbo. The EFR 7670 is a great size for instant boost but runs out of steam on the top end. But it is enough to chirp the tires and lift the driver's corner.

-
View attachment 2983494
Baktasht,
Since your post, I’ve spent the last 3 days researching fitting this plenum with a turbo to a 1FZ in an LC80 (and also intercooler).
You’re not taking the easy route to more power but wow I am impressed.
Subbed 😍

Since your post, I’ve spent the last 3 days researching fitting this plenum with a turbo to a 1FZ in an LC80 (and also intercooler).
You’re not taking the easy route to more power but wow I am impressed.
Subbed 😍
Definitely not the easy route. But it should be fun... Hopefully...

I have to be the only 80 guy who thinks the ARB bumper is awful looking
You're not alone. I chopped the top bars from mine, repainted and I cannot love more the result.
overlandx2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom