Turbo build and Restoration - 97 3x Locked (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little behind schedule, but finally got the cylinder head stripped down today and ready to drop off at the machine shop tomorrow!

Video update here:

-

Dropped the cylinder head off today. They're going to hot tank it, blast it inside and out to get it all cleaned up, pressure check it, and also surface it.

I also did one last look at the head gasket that I removed to inspect what the condition was on both sides. The short block side, and the cylinder head side. The findings were interesting, specially considering that the motor was running well, leak down test and compression test came back okay, and overall nothing was majorly wrong.

Video update uploaded
-

Dropped the cylinder head off today. They're going to hot tank it, blast it inside and out to get it all cleaned up, pressure check it, and also surface it.

I also did one last look at the head gasket that I removed to inspect what the condition was on both sides. The short block side, and the cylinder head side. The findings were interesting, specially considering that the motor was running well, leak down test and compression test came back okay, and overall nothing was majorly wrong.

Video update uploaded
-

Is that common for combustion gases to leak out of the head/block interfcace? Would they have just leaked into the engine bay?

Also I may have missed this but did you notice any pitting or warping on the block?

Is that common for combustion gases to leak out of the head/block interfcace? Would they have just leaked into the engine bay?

Also I may have missed this but did you notice any pitting or warping on the block?
No, the combustion gasses should not be leaking anywhere if everything was healthy, installed correctly, head bolts not stretched from overheating, etc...

At first glance at the top of the block I don't see any pitting. But I need to scrape all the gunk off of it, clean it well, and then inspect. I'll make sure to document the whole process findings to share. Should be interesting to see, especially around cyl#1 and cyl#6.

I picked up the cylinder head from the shop today. I am very impressed by their work. I have had a LOT of heads and blocks at machine shops over the years. This is by far the best job at cleaning the entire thing inside and out that I have seen. Even inside all of the oil and coolant passages are clean as a whistle!!

Here's a quick video to show some details:

-

The list is getting longer. Doing my best to keep it updated as I go so that I don't forget anything.

-

If you have watched a few of my videos, you know that I hate dirty engine bays. After I finished pulling the oil pan yesterday, I LITERALLY had to throw away the shirt and pants I was wearing. It was THAT BAD. At this point I wish I had just pulled the motor out to work on. But, we are here and I am making progress. Next video will be more teardown and a look at the rod bearings and crank shaft.

-

Video update here

-

I'll get back on this project around the start of the year hopefully. The DIY remodel we're doing on the house has taken up most of my free time outside of work. Hope to have some updates for you guys in January!

I forgot to upload this video last year of the new Plasmaman intake manifold I will be using. It's going to be interesting to get it all to fit, but we'll get there eventually. I had to put the 80 series project aside since about June of 2022, and now finally getting time to tinker with it again. Hoping to have some relevant updates for you guys in the coming month. A year sure does go by quickly !!!

-

Sold the ARB bumper, the Badlands Apex 12k winch and the WARN lights over the weekend to a great 80 series owner that drove up from San Antonio. He even got them installed on his 80 in the first 24 hours. Love it when I get to meet other LC enthusiasts and talk shop for a few minutes.

I don't need to decide now, but at some point I have to figure out what to do about a front bumper. I don't really want a winch for this build, so OEM bumper is always an option to keep the look original. Or I could go with something more aggressive. Not sure yet. Open to opinions and thoughts if you guys have any input.

-

Obligatory video update, with my goofy smile:

-

Did you just change your user ID or was I in an alternate universe? 🤣

Well, life changes and this poor project has been sitting for 2 years mostly untouched. I don't see my work getting any slower, and that means that I won't have the time to really get this one any close to the finish line.

So it might be time to allow another land cruiser nut to take over this project.

It is in pieces, but its all there. If anyone is interested in taking it all as one big package, send me a direct message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom