1993 80 Series Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 1993 LC a few weeks ago and am starting on the restoration process. It's definitely going to be a long process and not a simple one, but it will give me something extra to do and I'm in no hurry to get it perfect right away. I've wanted one for a while and found this one local and was able to get it for $1000. According to the previous owner, it ran a few years ago but has sat since.

The paint is not good. It was spray painted and has weathered, but only one small spot of rust on the exterior of the body. There's some body rust on the passenger floor pan and rear wheel well, but underneath it's actually really clean other than the exhaust which I'm not too worried about. I already pulled out the seats and carpet, and wire brushed a lot of the surface rust off. I'll have to patch a hole in the rear passenger floor.

Haven't tried to start it yet, but I'm assuming I'll need a new battery. Plan to drain and replace all the oil, gas, and coolant and replace the oil filter before I try and start it. Any other recommendations before I try and start it up?

Mainly making this thread to post updates and for my progress, but please chime in with experience and recommendations as I'm pretty new to all this. Also, if anyone is around SWVA/NETN that has a good understanding of all this I'd love to connect.

Thanks

Grayson
LC2.jpg
LC.jpg
IMG_5391.jpeg
IMG_5389.jpeg

Grayson

Good luck to you bro. I just spent the last year doing the same on a 1994. If you have lots of patience and lots of $$$ you’ll be fine.

In your last picture above there is a little green wire going across. Mine has that too. If you find out what that is I’d love to know.

Welcome. Good luck with your project. You're taking on a big one. This group has a ton of information and good people.

I'd recommend starting with one in better condition, but sometimes the rough ones are a good challenge. Definitely post updates as you make progress.

Good luck to you bro. I just spent the last year doing the same on a 1994. If you have lots of patience and lots of $$$ you’ll be fine.

In your last picture above there is a little green wire going across. Mine has that too. If you find out what that is I’d love to know.
The green wire could be anything, but my guess is the right turn signal tap wire for an aftermarket tow harness, often tucked into the driver's side quarterpanel.

The green wire is part of the factory trailer light wiring.

Thanks! The patience I definitely have. I'm not rich by any means, but money isn't too much of a concern just because I'm not in a rush. Plus the local trade school is going to do the paint and body work labor for free so I feel like that will be a huge savings. I know it won't be a perfect job, but it can't be any worse than it already is lol.
Also I probably should've mentioned I have the seats, I just pulled them out. Back seats are in pretty good shape. I will replace the fronts but found a local set for cheap that match and are in pretty good shape as well.

Welcome. Good luck with your project. You're taking on a big one. This group has a ton of information and good people.

I'd recommend starting with one in better condition, but sometimes the rough ones are a good challenge. Definitely post updates as you make progress.
Thanks! Ideally I would've liked one in better condition too, but just felt like for the price, the fact it ran before just sitting, no frame rust/minimal body rust, and only 15 min away, I couldn't turn it down. Looking forward to the learning experience and taking my lumps.

Any other recommendations before I try and start it up?

fresh plugs, check the condition of the wires and cap, and drop a little oil in each cyl and trun over by hand before starting

Cheese and crackers brother! Headliner looks great!
lol

Tell me, if still in place what is the catalytic converter arrangement?
I see the short shield in pic #2.
Do you have a single cat with 2 in/1 out?
Or 2 cats, with 1 in each and a combiner thereafter?

Cheese and crackers brother! Headliner looks great!
lol

Tell me, if still in place what is the catalytic converter arrangement?
I see the short shield in pic #2.
Do you have a single cat with 2 in/1 out?
Or 2 cats, with 1 in each and a combiner thereafter?
haha yeah the headliner is a thing of beauty!

I'll get back to you with the cats because I didnt pay too much attention to that.

Here's an update: New battery put in and it turned over but wouldn't start. Removed the fuel pump today and I'm pretty confident that's the issue... lol. Gonna drop the tank tomorrow and clean it out and make sure there's no holes/leaks. New fuel pump and assembly arrive this week. I'll update once I get those installed. Have new spark plugs and wires to replace too - they more than likely need it.

Found that scotchbright removes the spray paint pretty easily. Obviously pulling some of the clear coat as well, but at this point none of that matters since it's getting repainted later this year. Might put a ceramic coat over the green once all the spray paint is removed just to protect it until the repaint.

Fuel Pump.jpg
LC Paint.jpg

Here's an update: New battery put in and it turned over but wouldn't start. Removed the fuel pump today and I'm pretty confident that's the issue...
Definitely a possibility. All the vital rubbery parts are probably crumbly now.
When you replaced the battery did you check the fusible links? They're another potential failure point.

Definitely a possibility. All the vital rubbery parts are probably crumbly now.
When you replaced the battery did you check the fusible links? They're another potential failure point.
Fusible links looked good. Some of the rubber tubing will need replaced, but it's holding intact for now. The new assembly comes with new wires and tubing as well. Once I replace that if it starts I'll slowly replace all the rubber tubing throughout. Mainly trying to diagnose why it wont start first.

based on that fuel pump picture I'd definitely replace the fuel filter while the line is de-pressurated. Also the fuel regulator.

based on that fuel pump picture I'd definitely replace the fuel filter while the line is de-pressurated. Also the fuel regulator.

Planned on replacing the filter. Didn't think about the regulator, I'll definitely do that. Thanks!

Here's an update: New battery put in and it turned over but wouldn't start. Removed the fuel pump today and I'm pretty confident that's the issue... lol. Gonna drop the tank tomorrow and clean it out and make sure there's no holes/leaks. New fuel pump and assembly arrive this week. I'll update once I get those installed. Have new spark plugs and wires to replace too - they more than likely need it.

Found that scotchbright removes the spray paint pretty easily. Obviously pulling some of the clear coat as well, but at this point none of that matters since it's getting repainted later this year. Might put a ceramic coat over the green once all the spray paint is removed just to protect it until the repaint.

View attachment 3595653
Balls!
Replace the whole dam thing if you can swing it. Sock is packed, pump is rusted on the outside. (with heat indicators)
In that knowledge water is pervasive, and everywhere. (double-double?) Existing fuel tank is a collective rust generator.
Replace the tank if you can find a respectable candidate (clean, used). Not likely that it can be retained and expect reliable fuel storage going forward.

Balls!
Replace the whole dam thing if you can swing it. Sock is packed, pump is rusted on the outside. (with heat indicators)
In that knowledge water is pervasive, and everywhere. (double-double?) Existing fuel tank is a collective rust generator.
Replace the tank if you can find a respectable candidate (clean, used). Not likely that it can be retained and expect reliable fuel storage going forward.
That's the plan! I ordered a whole new OEM assembly. Dropping the tank later this week but looking in from the body it was pretty nasty. Going to start searching for used tanks if I can find one. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom