The Roller Swap and Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a 1997 FJ80 that blew up its engine a few years ago. The old owner couldent afford to do the rebuild on the engine so I took it off his hands last year and have been working on the truck with the help of my mechanic/friend for the last year.

I plan on posting the entire build on here over the next few weeks, but right now im in a bit of a pickle and could use some community help.

Basically, we decided to swap the Engine, Trans and TCase from a 2002 Denali into the 80series. This might have turned out to be a bit more work than we had hoped for but we are where we are.

The only problems seem to be the wiring of the Speedometer to tcase and getting the wiring for the A/C correct. It is a mind numbing process and I'm hoping someone on this forum has found a vendor who does complete wiring harnesses that make this plug and play. Any luck out there?

First Welcome to the Forum!!!

There is a dedicated link to engine swaps (mostly LS but does have others). 8x Series V8 Swaps - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/8x-series-v8-swaps.948869

The speedo should be same as stock since you shouldn't have to mess with the wiring, unless you did and then we would need more information. As for the A/C the aforementioned thread has various people's "solution" to getting it to work.

Others may chime in and give specifics.

If you use a different transfer case, don't you lose the pickup for the speedo (it is on the rear extension housing on the transfer case of the 80)?

Cool project.

If you use a different transfer case, don't you lose the pickup for the speedo (it is on the rear extension housing on the transfer case of the 80)?

Cool project.
You are right, I missed that he took the whole drivetrain from the Denali. I guess the savings on the AA plate will go to funding a solution for the speedo :rofl:

@tmxmotorsports you didnt answer my other question. What is the correct way to go about asking questions on a forum?
Some if not all questions you need answered are in the sticky thread that @Brindleboxer posted for you to read but I will say the way you have started your swap there will be no answer for them In that thread unless you go back quite a few steps from what you have started.

Why are you using the GM transfer case? The speedo is your last issue. I see you’re in Winter Park, we are probably right down the street and have LS swap parts and knowledge

Why are you using the GM transfer case? The speedo is your last issue. I see you’re in Winter Park, we are probably right down the street and have LS swap parts and knowledge
Never know might be on to something no adapter possibility and some other stuff think outside the box

They have an adapter that goes to the original toyota tcase, so you don't need to use the Denali tcase. The Denali tcase will cause a chain reaction of other issues. The toyota tcase is a very well designed tcase. There is no plug and play wiring kit because there are many different routes people take of motor/trans combinations. Some use a manual tranny, others use a auto etc.

The idea on using the GM tcase was to try and be as power efficient as possible and to not rob the drive train of the LS potential. I read a lot about guys puting in 500+ hp supercharged motors in their 80s and only getting 300-350 hp on the dyno. Trying something different. Will it work out? Who knows.

As @White Stripe mentioned, there has certainly been a chain reaction of issues but so far i believe they have all been addressed. At the moment have a running and driving LC. The main issues was that the output shaft on the tcase deadended into the stock gas tank. I had to build a custom gas tank and relocate. We also had to get creative with the exhaust.

I've just run into wiring issues with the Speedo, but Im thinking the best solution is to have Dakota Digital build a custom cluster that communicates with the GM tcase.

Matt, ill swing by your shop later this week or early next week.

The idea on using the GM tcase was to try and be as power efficient as possible and to not rob the drive train of the LS potential. I read a lot about guys puting in 500+ hp supercharged motors in their 80s and only getting 300-350 hp on the dyno.

I don't think you're going to see much of any efficiency advantage with the gm t-case.

Chassis dynos are a comparison tool. The numbers are not really factual representations of an engines power output.

A good measure of efficiency is fuel economy.

LS does the same MPG's in a fulltime AWD 80 as it does in a gm pickup. The 80 series AWD has virtually nil effect on efficiency.

The 80 AWD system is really good too. It's a big reason why many people own these vehicles.

The idea on using the GM tcase was to try and be as power efficient as possible and to not rob the drive train of the LS potential. I read a lot about guys puting in 500+ hp supercharged motors in their 80s and only getting 300-350 hp on the dyno. Trying something different. Will it work out? Who knows.

As @White Stripe mentioned, there has certainly been a chain reaction of issues but so far i believe they have all been addressed. At the moment have a running and driving LC. The main issues was that the output shaft on the tcase deadended into the stock gas tank. I had to build a custom gas tank and relocate. We also had to get creative with the exhaust.

I've just run into wiring issues with the Speedo, but Im thinking the best solution is to have Dakota Digital build a custom cluster that communicates with the GM tcase.

Matt, ill swing by your shop later this week or early next week.
There is a aftermarket cluster for the 80. I can't remember who makes it. Also, you can convert the toyota tcase to part time if you want to put the toyota tcase back in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom