Builds Treebeard (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I started chopping away at the rear bumper the other night. These rivets really are stout. Shoutout to my shop mate Divide for helping get 6/10 of them off. My plan is to finish removing the rivets and the cross-member tonight and to bolt on my new Trail Tailor rear bumper tomorrow. Gotta have it installed before the Seattle Cruiserheads meetup on Tuesday!

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

I started chopping away at the rear bumper the other night. These rivets really are stout. Shoutout to my shop mate Divide for helping get 6/10 of them off. My plan is to finish removing the rivets and the cross-member tonight and to bolt on my new Trail Tailor rear bumper tomorrow. Gotta have it installed before the Seattle Cruiserheads meetup on Tuesday!

View attachment 2975010

View attachment 2975011

View attachment 2975012
Sweet bumper replacement action shot!!

Where is the meeting?

View attachment 2975010

View attachment 2975011

View attachment 2975012
I like to think I talked you into it. 😁
I love the updated swing outs.

Sweet bumper replacement action shot!!

Where is the meeting?
Right? Not sure if there’s a spot picked yet but I think it’s supposed to be on the south side this time.

I like to think I talked you into it. 😁
I love the updated swing outs.
You helped! I’ll be sending you an invoice so you can help with the cost too. 😜

It turns out that you only need to remove 6 rivets for @TRAIL TAILOR ’s rear bumper. :) I also ground down the heads of the other 4 a bit to get the bumper to fit. The fit and finish on this bumper is fantastic. As I was assembling it I keep finding little pieces that show Jason’s attention to detail. My spare is an ugly old wheel so I’m not in a hurry to mount it but I am eager to fit my bike rack behind the spare and jerry cans.

B15B6DFF-B507-4AA5-8410-9F12CBC1DDAC.jpeg

I don't have time for a full update but I added a few new items to the DONE list on the first post. Highlights include Boss airbags in the rear, a set of 5 new-to-me alloy wheels, and an ARB front bumper! I'm leaving for a trip to Death Valley tomorrow with a group that includes three GX470s and a Disco. I'll be the slow one. Back to packing!

5E69A2E0-507E-4FFD-B6D5-A823581AB226.jpeg

I don't have time for a full update but I added a few new items to the DONE list on the first post. Highlights include Boss airbags in the rear, a set of 5 new-to-me alloy wheels, and an ARB front bumper! I'm leaving for a trip to Death Valley tomorrow with a group that includes three GX470s and a Disco. I'll be the slow one. Back to packing!

View attachment 2988436

Represent us well, and don't take no shizz!! :cool::beer:

Have a great trip!

Some of you will already know this but... I'm selling Treebeard. This truck gave me so much and it helped me to learn that I want to be on the road much more often. Unfortunately, this just isn't the right vehicle for that kind of life, especially since I've never been able to fit into it properly. I've been driving a new Outback Wilderness all summer (13k miles in 3 months) and I'm about to buy a Sprinter to try living and working from the road even more.

Selling in the current market has been pretty depressing! I've had a number of almost-buyers who've had to back out for various reasons (including job loss and family emergencies). My asking price is down to $20k but let's be real honest... I need to sell it soon. If anyone is interested and you have a price in mind that's anywhere near my asking then let's talk!

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the fun ride. I've learned a LOT, gone on some great adventures, and made good friends along the way. What more can you ask from a vehicle? I'm hoping Treebeard can do the same for his next owner.

I drove a new 22 Tacoma 500 or so miles. It's pretty sweet all in all, with tons of reliable power, adaptive cruise control, a great truck really. But that moment I got back in the the old FJ60 it was my old friend. Much more nimble and rides better on slow rough streets. The 60 still has her her charms, but I feel your pain. I'm grateful I didn't do that trip in old Grace. However, she will still be doing outings in 30 years if I give her attention. A 60 is a lot like having a good dog. It sucks leaving them behind when they get old.

Hello everyone, I am quite proud to say that I am the new owner of Treebeard. I am planning on periodically updating this thread and leaning on the knowledge this forum has to offer. I feel quite fortunate that Nate has entrusted his project to me. We all know the difficulty of letting a project vehicle go, so thank you Nate, and best of luck with your future adventures.

This will be my first FJ60 or first Toyota for that matter. After stumbling across listings for 60s on Bring a Trailer, I fell in love. I impulsively sold my 2019 GTI and went shopping for an FJ60. The thorough documentation and apparent level of care found in this thread sold me on Treebeard. This vehicle will double as my adventure-mobile and daily driver. I realize daily driving a carbureted 300k+ mile vehicle in suburban Washington is not one of my wisest ideas.

A little over a week and around 500 miles later, here are some of my initial impressions and the beginnings of a to-do list.

1.) Regarding the body, with a few minor exceptions, this 60 is quite well-preserved and mostly free of rust. I’m a native Midwesterner, so any vehicle that still has rocker panels and fenders is a win. Bodywork will (hopefully) not be a major concern for the foreseeable future.

2.) Regarding the engine, Treebeard has thus far proven to be quite reliable. Even with cold starts down into the 30s, this little FJ has fired up when asked. However, there are several concerns I plan on addressing going forward.

b. When coasting without throttle input, the engine will backfire when in gear. This issue does not present when accelerating or coasting in neutral. This issue persists regardless of the engine temperature, choke setting, or octane of the fuel. My plan is to verify ignition timing, play with idle speed adjustment, and investigate for vacuum leaks.

c. While consistently starting, I would not describe this engine as easy to start. Nate taught me the commonly accepted 2F starting ritual and I have been utilizing it daily. Despite this, Treebeard loves starting fluid and will sometimes refuse to cold start without it. A carburetor rebuild seems inevitable. I’m contemplating purchasing a second carburetor to send in for a tune while I continue to drive as-is.

d. 9 MPG? I know these aren’t exactly a Prius but holy cow.

3.) As for odds and ends, there are only a few minor things to address.

a. The rear seat belts do not operate correctly. The belts retract but do not release/extend. Planning on a quick rebuild and some lubricant.

b. The rear trunk latch will stay unlocked without being manually actuated from the inside. Some WD40 in the keyway resolved this, but I plan to remove it and clean it up.

Quite sure I’m forgetting some other minor things, but this is just a quick introduction. Please forgive me for any mistakes in this write-up. I’m quite excited to learn the ins and outs of old Land Cruisers! Here are some pictures from a quick overnight trip to Lake Crescent last weekend.

IMG_20230129_092428.jpg

IMG_20230129_104440.jpg

Oh also I think you’re on the right track with timing and carb tune. In my experience 9 mpg is a bit low. There’s a good YouTube video showing how to do a “lean drop” carb tune that I’ve had success with previously. These steps could help with the backfiring, low MPG, and the rough starts. Cheers!

So glad to see that this rig is staying in the community!

Welcome! Look at a Holley Sniper or other Fuel Injection set up. Of course most still use the carbs, but if I had a 2F, I'd put a Sniper on it. Search the threads and your welcome (helping you spend your money 😂)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom