Builds Treebeard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two months since the last post in my build thread, that's a record for me. :) There's not much to report but here are some highlights:
  1. My rear brake woes are definitely fixed! I added a washer to the pin next to the adjuster and they've been fine for more than a thousand miles.
  2. I did my first oil change last month. I overfilled it slightly and ended up draining some oil last week. I tried to re-use the crush washer on the drain plug and I have definitely learned not to do that again. Oil slicks on the street aren't my style.
  3. Last month I also checked my trans/t-case fluid levels and found that a lot of oil migrated into the trans from the t-case. The t-case housing is also constantly oily so I'm beginning to think that a full trans/t-case rebuild is in my future. They're performing just fine for now.
  4. A couple of weeks ago I realized that my front passenger-side carpet was just perpetually soaked. I ripped out the rest of the carpet in the truck in order to minimize the amount of water being held against the floor. There's some rust but it's not awful, though I need to get the factory soundproofing out before I can be sure how bad it is.
Maybe most significantly... I'm going to SAS5! I've significantly expanded the TODO list in the top post of this thread with SAS in mind. It'll be 2,500 miles on the highway and of course some amazing trails. As much as I dislike working in the street in front of my house I'd much rather replace old parts there than in the mountains or at KOA. :)

I'll close it out with some photos from the last few months. Cheers!

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

I need to get the factory soundproofing out before I can be sure how bad it is.
A quart bag of dry ice pellets or broken up into chunks and left in place for a few minutes makes it brittle and easily knocked off with a rubber mallet or scraped up with a paint scraper. Easy work. Fun task.

A quart bag of dry ice pellets or broken up into chunks and left in place for a few minutes makes it brittle and easily knocked off with a rubber mallet or scraped up with a paint scraper. Easy work. Fun task.

Great info. This is wayyyy down my project list but it is definitely on it.

Very good read! I just bought a new project 60 so it was fun to see this thread, and cool that you're in WA.

If you end up out on the peninsula/coast this year shoot me a pm, I'd love to see your rig.

Very good read! I just bought a new project 60 so it was fun to see this thread, and cool that you're in WA.

If you end up out on the peninsula/coast this year shoot me a pm, I'd love to see your rig.

Thank you! I took the truck through Forks a few times last year, I love that part of the state. I’ll hit you up next time I’m over there. Cheers!

For the Seattle area folks; Stews Self Service garage in Kirkland. Lift bay and non-lift bay rentals by the hour. Also, they have a flat-fee structure for a few "simple" things like oil changes and the like. Clean place, really well stocked with tools. Helpful staff. It beats the s--- out of working in/on a wet driveway.
As an aside; Great work on the truck to @ntdb. I love those slot mags does anyone know if those were ever made in 16 or 17"
Cheers.

I got most of the factory sound deadener out today. Ten pounds of dry ice was almost enough for the whole truck but not quite, I’ll go back for a couple more pounds and finish the job tomorrow. I found almost no (new) rust! Super pleased. From here I’ll repair as much surface rust as I can find and then get a body shop quote for the tailgate threshold and wheel wells.

F6F52D29-FD4A-41DA-9DBB-5A2AE6D37E27.jpeg

46C0EE73-D072-4B1F-A6BC-0716F5FE0D29.jpeg

EAC334BA-69FF-4330-82A8-85D17C2B83BC.jpeg

I just realized that it’s been one year since I asked y’all if I should buy this truck. Thanks for saying yes. 🙏

💥🤙🍻💥

Stoked you took this all on. You have done a world of work saving that 60. This beers for you 🍺

Last edited:
It’s interesting how these trucks from similar areas react to the environment differently.
Mine lived almost its entire life in Port Townsend and looks allot worse under some of the sound deadening.
6B6387F7-B11F-4FCE-8250-C29ED23A48BA.jpeg

Wish I'd done the dry ice a few years back when I put my new sound deadening on. My 60's from SoCal so zero rust on it...but still would be nice to have it out....maybe I'll redo it this summer. :bang: I love making easy jobs hard and doing things over again. Feel like having the new deadening down would help quiet it down even more...plus I've seen some paint on deadener that seems like it would really work well.

It’s interesting how these trucks from similar areas react to the environment differently.
Mine lived almost its entire life in Port Townsend and looks allot worse under some of the sound deadening.View attachment 2565257

Ouch, that hurts to see. Did you have a leaky heater core or something else dumping water on that spot? My carpet was soggy in that foot well for a few months so I was expecting to see something like this under the carpet and soundproofing.

Ouch, that hurts to see. Did you have a leaky heater core or something else dumping water on that spot? My carpet was soggy in that foot well for a few months so I was expecting to see something like this under the carpet and soundproofing.
Luckily all the metal is still solid so I am just waiting for some warm weather to sand it, treat it, and coat it with some por15.
My carpets looked pretty ok but were soaking wet and extremely moldy underneath, past the point of cleaning. I think it’s water from the windshield and probably the cowl or drip rail. So far other than the lower tailgate my rust has all be manageable.

So uh... anyone want to tell me that this is a normal amount of yellow gunk? The last photo is from reaching into the top of the valve cover with a finger. I do a lot of relatively short drives and it is cold and wet here in Seattle. I’ve been getting lots of white smoke on startup for a few months but it typically goes away after warmup. Dip stick seems clean but I thought that was true a year ago too. I’ve been losing coolant somewhere but I was hoping it was a leak near the firewall.

55826F94-415A-4EC3-A44A-E1FD93EB0434.jpeg

4020261D-BEDC-452E-9E03-3FB052CB155C.jpeg

22CCA25C-C3CC-484B-B956-6EF37A64F36E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom