Tow bar or trailer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to transport my 1970 140 miles to a restoration shop. It may or may not stay there after being assessed and a proposal is made.

I can borrow a F150 size truck. I like the tow bar idea. Is there any reason not to do it that way? Who sells suitable tow bars? I was planning on using magnetic base tail lights rather than hacking up the electrical system.

For a larger truck I am looking at U-haul and renting stuff.

Other thought, I have a 1992 land cruiser. Towing capacity is 5000# on that. The 40 weights 3500#. Based on the '92's gutless ability to climb a grade at highway speed I am hesitant to try. I'd be sick if I killed it.

Driving the 40 on busy interstate highways does not appeal to me. The main reason for taking it to the shop is to fix handling problems. I also am not confident that it is up to the long drive.

Opinions?

I always prefer a trailer to pull vehicles on, one with brakes on both axles. Just my personal opinion.

You might want to consider renting a U-Haul car hauler trailer. You could possibly do one-way if you end up leaving the 40 at the shop. We rented one to move ours and everything went smoothly. Pulled with a F250. Pretty inexpensive as I recall.

IMG_2723.jpeg

Yep, U-Haul it. If you flat tow, remove the rear drive shaft. The F150 should do fine, plus U-Haul will make you enter the tow vehicle and what you’re putting on their car hauler to verify it’ll pull it safely…..to even rent one. I pulled my 40 with a 200 Series LC from central Washington to SLC Utah……a little squatty in the back, but did fine.
IMG_2998.jpeg

Tow bar. No need to remove the drive shaft. Just put both transmission and t-case in Neutral. Get yourself some magnetic trailer lights and you should be good to go.
I've towed mine this way many times behind a first gen tundra and a 2000 F-150.
It's not so much the towing vehicles ability to pull the 40 I'd be concerned with, rather the ability to STOP the 40.
Either way you decide to go, be cautious and take it slow.

I tow it between Illinois and Montana a couple times a year, about 1,100 miles each way. Started with a tow dolly, not bad, just don't push it beyond 65 mph or you hit a bump and start swaying quite badly. I would guess a tow bar would be even worse. Last year bought a flat bed, no more swaying issues. For a 1 time deal, I would think the tow bar would be adequate, but renting a tow dolly likely better. Just don't push the speed too much. The harbor freight magnetic trailer lights work fine.

Since you have handling issues I’d recommend a flatbed trailer. It’ll likely cost much less than a decent tow bar and you’ll have brakes.
A tow dolly would be my second choice, but for 320 miles the trailer would be my first choice.

It looks like a trailer would only be $10 more or $55 CDN but rates may vary… that’d be about $40-45 USD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom