Tool bag, tool box, go big or go home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A good exercise when doing maintenance/servicing/repairs at home is to do it with the tools you have permanently in the truck. This lets you find out all sorts of things that would otherwise stuff you up. Doing this I found:

- None of the 14mm spanners or sockets I had would let me get on the driveshaft bolts. Brought a specific wrench that 100% fits
- The 54mm socket I had was too thick-walled to fit on the hub nut, brought a tube style one
- Ratchet was too big to get on the brake caliper bolts - 17mm wrench added (yes i know they should be torqued)
-Channel locks to get the fuel filter undone (Diesel)
-10 and 12mm ratchet spanners are super handy
-Can't get wheel nuts off without a breaker bar - added
-Brass punch and world's crappiest snap ring pliers for hub studs and snap ring.
- I need an unusual combination of extensions and flex joints to get to the top nut on my 1HDT starter
- Take the battery out of your meter - or buy an auto off one.

Totally agree with this idea.

I don’t have dedicated tools that will live in my car so I am starting to mark tools that I need to pack for excursions with paint pen. They’ll still live in the tool chest, but easy for me to grab and pack them

i hit the trail with like 7 zip ties, 2 screwdrivers and a fusible link

f63ed4353608ac2c6080fdafedd60865.png

I mean as long as you hit the trail with one of these other guys that has a tool truck in the back…who’s really winning :)
I just don't really get it I guess. A basic tool kit, a handful of spares and a triple A membership is more than adequate for the overwhelming majority of us. Half the guys on here are basically support vehicles for a dakar race truck

@Bludozer

Most people don’t understand our fascination with 25+ yr old gas guzzling SUVs either :meh:.

It’s a hobby. Some folks spend money on boats, golf, skiing, clothes, drink, etc. I like spending money on tools and my truck. It keeps me out of trouble on many levels 👍.

- I need an unusual combination of extensions and flex joints to get to the top nut on my 1HDT starter
- Take the battery out of your meter - or buy an auto off one.
Take a 14 mm spanner and bend it around 45 degrees, then simply pull the wires off the oil pressure sender and remove it in seconds, then the top starter bolt is easy peasy.

Agree with the auto off DMM.

Regards

Dave

I’ve got an old Craftman tool box that I’d guess is 10x10x20” or so that I limit myself for tools. Then a soft bag that holds the zip ties, OBD scanner, voltmeter, bailing wire, oil spill kit, etc.. the toolbox has general service tools. Only metric but complete size runs. I have not cherry picked sockets/wrenches. I have SST items to do a complete front axle service. I do carry a torque wrench. Most tools are craftsman grade with a few select Cornwell pro grade things I like.

the only major spare part I haul around is a spare rear driveshaft. I feel like it’s the one thing I might damage that would really handicap me. Other than that is very simple things like spare fuses and relays. Driveflange studs, driveshaft studs, wheel studs/nuts.

most importantly I maintain my truck to the best of my ability. So it rarely breaks down.

one thing I have that I didn’t see mentioned is a one piece jumpsuit I can get into it to protect my clothing if needed. I’ve found that handy for non-wheeling situations more than anything. Like when the wife calls for road side assistance and I’m in work clothes. I can change out a spare without ruining a work shirt. I’ve only used it once the trail when someone breaks a Birf where opening up the axle can get really messy.

Last edited:
Wow! Another excellent setup!

So, it looks like both setups above have sizes that aren't used. (I could be wrong, just guessing). On the socket rails that I use, they're numbered, but I remove the 11, 13, 15, etc. that aren't needed and drop in extra 10's and 12's, etc. One of my thoughts is an appropriate socket rail that only has the socket sizes that are used on a cruiser.
yeah but then you never know when you might have to save a Heep or some american type thing that will need those 11/13/15 and dare say 16 metric wrench's

Most of my trips are up and down the east coast from MA-MS/FL. Carrying enough tools and spares for basic repairs is more a matter of convenience than necessity. I prefer to be reliant on myself rather than some counter jockey at a parts store in an unknown town.

I like tool rolls because they don't rattle and I can differentiate types of tools in different rolls. I carry an inventory list and my specialty tools are labeled so I can remember why I put them in in the first place :). Everything fits into a half drawer system.

View attachment 2889442

View attachment 2889445

View attachment 2889447

View attachment 2889448

View attachment 2889449

Your my kinda guy

Most of my trips are up and down the east coast from MA-MS/FL. Carrying enough tools and spares for basic repairs is more a matter of convenience than necessity. I prefer to be reliant on myself rather than some counter jockey at a parts store in an unknown town.

I like tool rolls because they don't rattle and I can differentiate types of tools in different rolls. I carry an inventory list and my specialty tools are labeled so I can remember why I put them in in the first place :). Everything fits into a half drawer system.

View attachment 2889442

View attachment 2889445

View attachment 2889447

View attachment 2889448

View attachment 2889449
This is seriously impressive! Would you ever be willing to share your inventory list so that less creative people like me could duplicate?

This is seriously impressive! Would you ever be willing to share your inventory list so that less creative people like me could duplicate?
Thanks. Everything I carry is based on the extensive wealth of knowledge here on MUD. Lots of searching and reading over the years.

I'll see what I can do to pull the list into one document that can be posted.

A forum member on another site posted on a similar thread announced he would only ever carry the tools that fitted his 80 when going off road, his thinking his 80 was carrying less weight. So that would for example have a selection of sockets from a case, so perhaps only carrying 10 out of the 25 available. Whilst carrying less weight is obvious in my opinion this is so wrong.

What if someone breaks down and they do not have the right socket for example in their kit, or perhaps forgot the socket set altogether? So do you carry on and leave him or her on the trail, no I don't think that would happen, but it does mean the day out or even a weekend is lost because of this attitude.

I carry a full set of sockets, this would include 'Torx' versions which are not used on my 80, but it may well get someone else out of the s***!

Regards

Dave

This has been a great read. I am in the process of building a tool kit for my 80 (I already have some basics) and this is very helpful. I plan to use tool rolls and small pouches to keep things organized in my drawer set. I've tried the large bags/boxes and find they get too heavy to carry and I often only need a single wrench or socket so I am separating things and labeling stuff to find only the tools I need quickly.

One argument for carrying more sizes of socket or wrench than is currently on your 80, aside from helping the next guy, is this. I have found that he factory bolts used by toyota are the flange style and frequently the hex size is a size smaller than what I can get at the parts store or bolt supplier. With all the broken bolts I've had on my rig I now have a variety of hex sizes for the bolts that hold on the same parts too. Would be a shame to be in an area where you can only get the bolt you need with a 15mm hex (as opposed to the 14mm factory bolt) and you can't put it in because you thought your 80 didn't come with those.

I don't believe I need to have every tool under the sun, but a full set of at least metric sockets and wrenches seems worth the little extra weight to me.

This is more or less my philosophy as well, only carrying what the 80 needs to save weight with the exception that I do carry a full socket set. I point this out in a early post in this thread.

So in your opinion should one be carrying spares for every make and model Rig as well ?

IMHO if the person that your wheeling with forgot there tools and or does not have the right tools then maybe there not the right people to go wheeling with.

I would prefer to go wheeling with people that are properly prepared, that being said I would never leave someone stranded on the trail that goes for Heep to ;)Of course I do not expect to carry spares for everyone else's make and model, I am surprised that someone of your apparent experience made such a ridiculous comment.

Of course I would not carry spares for other peoples rigs, and I am surprised you made this ridiculous comment being an apparently skilled off road user and forum member.

Speaking of experience, did you wake up as an off road guru, jumped into your fully prepared trail rig and wandered off into the middle of nowhere? I very much doubt it, more likely you had to go with others to learn, gain that experience and perhaps borrow the odd tool?

I went out with a club here in Lorca, we were going 'Rambla' racing, once we had got out of the flooded waterways one of the guys got a puncture, it was a cow vaccination needle through the sidewall of his left rear tyre, this guy went to put his spare on and it had gone flat, a puncture that was done the day before had failed. So no spare, no model with the same type of wheel or tyre spare in this group of ten and on a Sunday. I carry a repair kit that saves taking the tyre off, with that done and the under bonnet compressor of my then competition built Land Rover soon had his tyre sorted and we were on our way, so things can happen, just as easy as it is to lock yourself out of your own car or even house, yes I have done that.

So taking a decent set of tools that is a set of spanners, a set of sockets and so forth is important, the reality is it is very unlikely you will remember everything, or perhaps consider it necessary, but someone else may be able to help you.

Without malice:

You regained some credibility saying you would not leave someone on the trail which is to be applauded however, as a qualified teacher using the 'affective learning strategy' in this instance, I see your philosophy has for want of a better word 'holes', probably not your fault but the same teaching method was not used properly (if at all) during your early education.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Funny how a what do you carry thread becomes a your not a well educated wheeler if you don't bring tool for every one 🤷‍♂️

Carry on

Funny how a what do you carry thread becomes a your not a well educated wheeler if you don't bring tool for every one 🤷‍♂️

Carry on

You still don't get it, I never at any time said you or I, or anyone else should carry spares for every model, and never at any time said you or I. or anyone else should carry tools for everyone.

This might help? The next time you observe someone not put the chair they were sitting on back under the table when they have finished, or even don't bother to do the same yourself you might get what I am trying to say without me actually being rude.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom