Too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well forget anything I said then and have one shipped to you from some part of the country that does not sacrifice its vehicles with yearly caustic bulls***.
One last question. Is the AHC hard to work on? Should i only have lexus do the repairs or can competent mechanics do it the right way? Thanks OP

One last question. Is the AHC hard to work on? Should i only have lexus do the repairs or can competent mechanics do it the right way? Thanks OP
It isn’t hard to maintain. It’s basically a brake system (dont use brake fluid though, use ahc fluid). Like brakes, when the hardlines get compromised or the master cylinder needs rebuilt, it’s a more exacting repair,.

These trucks didn’t sell in high volumes, but you will find what you ant in a couple months or less.

Have some patience

If i take the time to spray and paint the bottom you think it should be manageable?

No.

The collective opinion here couldn’t be any more clear, but you don’t seem to want to listen to the answers you’re being given. Get what you want but don’t act surprised when any brake or suspension maintenance quickly balloons in cost and time.

No.

The collective opinion here couldn’t be any more clear, but you don’t seem to want to listen to the answers you’re being given. Get what you want but don’t act surprised when any brake or suspension maintenance quickly balloons in cost and time.
I appreciate all of the opinions. Some more than others. And i have got opinions from 2 mechanics that have seen it in person. For the price im getting it for i think its a go. If it was 28k+ i wouldnt be considering it. My best friend is the master Tech at lexus so my labor cost isnt the avg labor cost for most. That being said its mechanically sound and has been serviced 60+ times at lexus for schedule maintenance and checkups. I pray i dont have to deal with any huge repairs in the future but for 20k i can drive it for 2-3 years and sell it for more than that or i get lucky and keep it 10+ years. In my opinion its a cant lose situation

Hah, I had to laugh at this. This is a perfect analogy.
Great anology lol. But i would love to see these perfect rigs bottom you guys drive. Its not like it looks like this

F7187897-7014-44E5-91E7-595AA497C8AC.jpeg

No.

Any thought on replacing AHC for standard Shocks struts? Or is that not worth the trouble

The frame isn’t the problem, it’s the complex AHC system which can leave you stranded because of a rotted out line. Why throw good money after bad? We are just trying to help you from making a decision you will most likely regret. Let the uninformed buy trucks like that… If you want a rig to last 10 years, it won’t be that one.

Patience is the key for finding a rig which will serve you well and you can trust. They are out there, and you will be happy when a solid one shows up.

The frame isn’t the problem, it’s the complex AHC system which can leave you stranded because of a rotted out line. Why throw good money after bad? We are just trying to help you from making a decision you will most likely regret. Let the uninformed buy trucks like that… If you want a rig to last 10 years, it won’t be that one.

Patience is the key for finding a rig which will serve you well and you can trust. They are out there, and you will be happy when a solid one shows up.
I appreciate all the help. I wrote earlier a rear line AHC rusted and leaked all the hydraulic fluid. The vehicle just went into the low position. Wasnt stranded. Are you meaning if im offroading somewhere? I can see that being a huge issue if that were the case

Also is there ever a point where the brake lines and ahc lines are just replaced as they break. And once replaced should be good no?

No chance. I’ve got less than half that rust, live in Texas, and it’s been a pretty big problem for me in a few repairs.

My rust ended up being worse than I thought upon visual inspection. Just didn’t know the extent until I spent several hours under the truck.

I will never compromise on rust again when I purchase a vehicle.

No way I’d buy it, like others have said, forget the mileage and just look at the bottom. If you really think the worst of it is seen… go check out the 100 forums of frame off restos, no doubt you got rust higher up where you can’t see it. NYC driving sucks and they use salt and brine.

You also said money isn’t a problem… find a cleaner 200. That’s what I’d do if I wanted a 10 year truck though.

You seem sold on it, if your handy and have worked on rusty stuff before yes it’s not awful for the price. Will you be kicking yourself in a few years? Prolly.

Thats the worst spot by far. But isnt that shield really only for offroad protection? Again this is a casual daily 15 miles per day on avg. maybe 1 trip a year. Again i have no intentions on off roading this at all
My concern is that if the rust you do see if that bad, how much is there inside the frame and in other places.

I’m not sure if AHC rust is a blessing or curse but if this was an LC with KDSS I can guarantee you’d never get the bolts loose and every suspension job would be a huge PITFA.

It’s your call. About 6 years ago I almost scored a 2008 LX with 100k for 30 grand. I’d agree for the $ you want to spend it’ll be hard to find a truck with similar mileage. However there’s a reason that truck is so cheap, and it’s the combination of rust and NYC miles. I personally think you’d be better served finding something nationally with higher mileage but less termite damage and having it shipped.

Seems like your mind is made up.

But like many, I've learned and now go by the motto "buy once, cry once". I've had rusty vehicles and they absolutely SUCK to work on.

If money is not an issue for you, what specifically is luring you to an 08-11 LX?

Typically these are the cheapest of the 200 series and most readily available.

Up your budget to $30-40k and save yourself the headache in the long run.

There's really nothing else to be said....

If money is not an issue for you, what specifically is luring you to an 08-11 LX?

Typically these are the cheapest of the 200 series and most readily available.

Up your budget to $30-40k and save yourself the headache in the long run.

There's really nothing else to be said....
Im just not the type to spend that much on a vehicle personally. 20k feels like alot to me to spend on a vehicle but the amount of value or perceived value im getting here was worth it

My concern is that if the rust you do see if that bad, how much is there inside the frame and in other places.

I’m not sure if AHC rust is a blessing or curse but if this was an LC with KDSS I can guarantee you’d never get the bolts loose and every suspension job would be a huge PITFA.

It’s your call. About 6 years ago I almost scored a 2008 LX with 100k for 30 grand. I’d agree for the $ you want to spend it’ll be hard to find a truck with similar mileage. However there’s a reason that truck is so cheap, and it’s the combination of rust and NYC miles. I personally think you’d be better served finding something nationally with higher mileage but less termite damage and having it shipped.
I negotiated the truck down from 29999. It took 3 days to wear him down to the price. Its nkt like it was listed for 21500 which would be low to start. Also today car max said theyd offer me 23000 for the truck and i could make money lol. So my thought process is drive it untill the next major repair and if its a money pit sell it. If it holds i ended up getting a steal

@jason2323
You better professionally restore that sucker and prove us all wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom