Too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys new here. Was wondering if this is too much rust on the under carriage to not purchase. 2008 LX 570 88000 THANKS!!

473B5DE1-F301-43F8-884B-81F98D218065.jpeg

A8CE0B68-E942-41B6-9AF8-2661BE0C170E.jpeg

82375612-ECBB-4854-AB25-E1F7D3FBD742.jpeg

E8D5CA5A-902D-47BD-BA12-4329BA411677.jpeg

86D8638D-AC12-490E-A2C6-5B66F4D9BA18.jpeg

It's a lot. Whether it's too much depends on your plans for the truck and the price. It won't fall apart on you at this point, but it will be a challenge to work on with all the rusty bolts. If you buy it, get some grease in those u-joints!

It's a lot. Whether it's too much depends on your plans for the truck and the price. It won't fall apart on you at this point, but it will be a challenge to work on with all the rusty bolts. If you buy it, get some grease in those u-joints!

Exactly that. Ill never willingly deal with rust again in the south, so itd be a pass from me dawg.
But heavily depends on price and use case as well as locale.

yeah, its too much. There are AHC components which will be an expensive with this much rust eating it up from different areas.

Ahc rear line just broke yesterday due to rust. Forgot to mention that, not a crazy repair but i see what you guys are saying. Thanks again boys

Thanks for the response. I would only be driving it easy no off road. The rear line was leaking and lexus says needs to be replaced. Am i getting my self in a money pit or would you guys pass. Can get it for 20k 88000 so price is good and body has no rust interior immaculate

I would pass. Rust never sleeps, and AHC can get pricey to fix when it’s rotting out within those high pressure lines. Spend the money to find one with less rust and you will thank yourself.

Edit - I would rather find an LX with 200k miles that’s rust free to fit your budget, than deal with that amount of rust at 88k. Mileage generally won’t kill these machines, but rust will. You don’t want to be out on the trail with a busted AHC line due to rust. What a nightmare.

Last edited:
I would pass. Rust never sleeps, and AHC can get pricey to fix when it’s rotting out within those high pressure lines. Spend the money to find one with less rust and you will thank yourself.

Edit - I would rather find an LX with 200k miles that’s rust free to fit your budget, than deal with that amount of rust at 88k. Mileage generally won’t kill these machines, but rust will. You don’t want to be out on the trail with a busted AHC line due to rust. What a nightmare.
So i have a guy who wants to por15 the undercarriage. Is the a option? Thanks again guys

So this vehicle would only be used to stickily city driving in south climate. Does that make a difference

20k is not a good price at all for that bucket…

There will be small parts rust welded together that you may need to replace or r&r for maintenance. Example go look at the bolt-stud holding the rear ABS-skid sensors in place. I would be surprised if you didn't need to take serious heat to get it replaced.

Can you get the actuators for the locking transfer case off or are those bolts all rusted?

What I'm getting at is the maintenance will be more difficult or more costly if you're paying someone. Jobs that should be easy can become hard when bolts snap off.

Too much for me. Dependeds on where your at though.

Dude you are in VA beach, look up in richmond, fredericksburg and manassas, you will find better year, mileage for 20k.
Problem with that kind of rust is that you can hope to get it sprayed with woolwax and all but there are so many cavities and cracks and it can start rotting from that crack to within. Its a lottery ticket at that point. If you picked something little less rust, yes, a woolwax or similar coating can contain the rust, but this one really seems a lot of rust. any regular maintenance like transmission oil change, differential, transfer case, AHC will all be troublesome with that much rust.

So i have a guy who wants to por15 the undercarriage. Is the an option? Thanks again guys
Any rust treatment is only as good as the person doing the work. There are some exposed surfaces where POR15 might help. But there will be rust in hidden areas where other treatments could be better.

Given your use case and the price, IMHO it’s worth seriously considering buying it. Yes, you’ll put some extra money into it for rust issues, but if everything else like history and maintenance records checks out, I’m not sure you’ll find one better for the price and miles.

These are 28-32k with this mileage where im at

Forget about the mileage though. Thats actually a double edged sword where things could have sat and got run with old fluids and in all sorts of weird infrequent circumstances. Or run around town strictly winter driven with zero proper heat cycles in stop and go.

But also that “deal” will quickly evaporate as soon as you do anything and realize that each component you work with will be mangled out and need an expensive oem replacement.

Any rust treatment is only as good as the person doing the work. There are some exposed surfaces where POR15 might help. But there will be rust in hidden areas where other treatments could be better.

Given your use case and the price, IMHO it’s worth seriously considering buying it. Yes, you’ll put some extra money into it for rust issues, but if everything else like history and maintenance records checks out, I’m not sure you’ll find one better for the price and miles.
Exactly what im thinking. To me its alot of surface rust and all components above the carriage seem to be mint. Interior perfect not one spec of body rust paint perfect. Idk im so torn lol

Also maintenance was done every 5000 miles at lexus. Over 60 reports on car fax

Forget about the mileage though. Thats actually a double edged sword where things could have sat and got run with old fluids and in all sorts of weird infrequent circumstances. Or run around town strictly winter driven with zero proper heat cycles in stop and go.

But also that “deal” will quickly evaporate as soon as you do anything and realize that each component you work with will be mangled out and need an expensive oem replacement.
Car came from Manhattan new york. Not alot of driving just up north car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom