Too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m sure some of the handy wrenchers that work on rust buckets have their ways as well.
Yes, and also I think there are also a lot of people that DON'T work on their own 200, in which case the rust isn't as much of a concern as it is for those of us who DIY.

Im rooting for you. Please get it treated and keep reporting how it progresses. I did my superficial treatment with PB Surface shield, its not extensive like a shop would do, but yours definitely need a pro level treatment.

Last edited:
Im rooting for you. Please get it treated and keep reporting how it progresses. I did my superficial treatment with PB Surface shield, its not extensive like a shop would do, but yours definitely need a pro level treatment.
I will thank you again

You were smart to come to this forum for advice because it's likely the most knowledgeable group of 200 series owners and enthusiasts just about anywhere in the world, and it would be smart to follow the advice that pretty much everyone has given so far - the rust is too advanced and it will give you major issues without question. It will be a losing battle trying to chase down and repair all of the issues you will encounter, and it will cost far more than you think. It's definitely not a can't lose situation and almost certainly a losing and very expensive proposition in the long run.

We call that being an "Askhole"

Ask advice, argue advice, ignore advice, do what ya want anyway...

Common amongst the younger folks that haven't learned much the hard way, and get all the info via intraweb

We call that being an "Askhole"

Ask advice, argue advice, ignore advice, do what ya want anyway...

Common amongst the younger folks that haven't learned much the hard way, and get all the info via intraweb
Taking advice forsure. Just not yours. Dont be butthurt cause im not taking yours 💁🏻‍♂️

But also that “deal” will quickly evaporate as soon as you do anything and realize that each component you work with will be mangled out and need an expensive oem replacement.

This! 100% This!

This! 100% This!
My thought as well.

A $100 alignment? That’s going to be $1200 to cover a new set of LCAs ($600) plus 3-4 hours of labor to cut the rusted and frozen cam bolts off, plus $100 for an alignment.

If this was an LC I’d say better ratchet strap the sh*t out of that sway bar to hold it in place when you pull the LCA so you can get it reattached because I’m sure you won’t be able to turn those KDSS screws either. It’s an LX so no KDSS but the AHC has already rusted.

I h8 rust far more than mud

related to this post. I took my truck for tire rotation and free 25 point inspection to my local tire store.
I saw the mechanic panic when he was inspecting the underside as he thought my truck is all covered in oil, he was running to his supervisor and I signalled him its my truck.
I told him its rust protection and he still seemed confused, I had to tell him its woolwax and I coated it intentionally myself. its no leak or anything.

Did anyone of you deal with such surprise response from rust treatment under your vehicles?
May be a wrong forum to ask as most of us tend to do major work ourselves.

Did anyone of you deal with such surprise response from rust treatment under your vehicles?
Even around my local, under treatment is not common. Most likely just a newer tec not knowing what it was, possible he was concerned he did something.

I’d rather have someone concerned and investigate though! My wife drove maybe 5 miles with a slow ATF leak out of one cooler line… I was worried the tranny got toasted with how wet the underside looked. Only had to pump a little bit of ATF to get it to specs, but yeah it was a mess and gave me a heart attack.

I had a crusty Land Cruiser from no Va. it had some sheet metal rot and the underside wasn’t so pretty. Drove it for 3 years and sold it for more than I paid.

Imo the 200 rusts less than the 100. $20k is cheap for a very nice rig with low miles. I’d treat the undercarriage and roll on down the road. Good luck!

I talk to my 84 year old dad in North Dakota and bring up that during my search I am asking for pictures of undercarriage rust on LCs/LXs. He has bought many cars and trucks in his life and said he has never heard anyone talk about rust the way I have with these trucks. Sometimes it makes them seem like fragile trucks based on all the rust concern. 😀

My thought as well.

A $100 alignment? That’s going to be $1200 to cover a new set of LCAs ($600) plus 3-4 hours of labor to cut the rusted and frozen cam bolts off, plus $100 for an alignment.

If this was an LC I’d say better ratchet strap the sh*t out of that sway bar to hold it in place when you pull the LCA so you can get it reattached because I’m sure you won’t be able to turn those KDSS screws either. It’s an LX so no KDSS but the AHC has already rusted.

I h8 rust far more than mud
Just had a alignment done. $120.. not what you said

I had a crusty Land Cruiser from no Va. it had some sheet metal rot and the underside wasn’t so pretty. Drove it for 3 years and sold it for more than I paid.

Imo the 200 rusts less than the 100. $20k is cheap for a very nice rig with low miles. I’d treat the undercarriage and roll on down the road. Good luck!
Exactly what im going to do. Carmax already offered me 5k over what i paid! But im going to keep for now and enjoy it. Thanks

I talk to my 84 year old dad in North Dakota and bring up that during my search I am asking for pictures of undercarriage rust on LCs/LXs. He has bought many cars and trucks in his life and said he has never heard anyone talk about rust the way I have with these trucks. Sometimes it makes them seem like fragile trucks based on all the rust concern. 😀
Exactly. Had euro auto works look at it. They said they have seen trucks 10 years newer worst than mine. I think some if these guys in here are either trolls or just elitist looking for perfection. Which is fine, but when looking for non bias opinions i’d appreciate good advice. Thank you to all that did

Another quick question. Do you guys suggest keeping the AHC in neutral permanently (as in ahc off) to preserve the system. Or leave it on and let it do its thing. Just curious. To me less wear and tear on pump ect thanks

Exactly. Had euro auto works look at it. They said they have seen trucks 10 years newer worst than mine. I think some if these guys in here are either trolls or just elitist looking for perfection. Which is fine, but when looking for non bias opinions i’d appreciate good advice. Thank you to all that did
They aren’t trolls, they most likely came from the school of hard knocks. Rusty trucks can be a real pain in the arse to work on. This is a fantastic forum with a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips.

I clean sanded primed and painted these plates in July. Here they are after one easy winter in the north east.

IMG_0438.jpeg

Another quick question. Do you guys suggest keeping the AHC in neutral permanently (as in ahc off) to preserve the system. Or leave it on and let it do its thing. Just curious. To me less wear and tear on pump ect thanks
Uh.,..I don't think I'd be worried about that...also, if you turn it off, what are you saving the pump for? Also, turning it off is really just for when not in motion (and jacking the truck up or something). Once you start driving it's going to continue to do it's thing.

N = Normal height, it still actively does it’s thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom